• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A new "What's for Dinner?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Last night we had a roast with veggies, gravy and bisquits. I also made a mix of peaches with angel food cake for dessert.

So tonight we used the leftovers for open face hot roast beef sandwiches. Apple pie and whipped cream for dessert.

Tomorrow night I am thinking chicken,

My son gave me an early Birthday present.:) It's called a Kitchen Kettle. Like a fry daddy but it also steams and boils. We were going to make gyozas. (pronounced Go-sa's) It a japanese snack that we have americananized. In some places they are called pot stickers. But we just fry them not add water to the pan to unstick them.

A pack of wonton wrappers (about 50 or 60 per pack)
A pound and a bit of hamburger or pork..or a mix.
We use Bok Choy but you can use any cabbage. I use about 3 stalks or if cabbage a cup.(chopped finely)
Carrots and onion at least 2 carrots and a fouth of an onion.
Soy Sauce and a hit of Worcestershire sauce.
We also add a pinch of ginger, salt and pepper.

Chop the Bok Choy, carrots and onion very fine. (I use a food processer) You will have to drain the water from the Bok Choy.
Add salt and pepper (and ginger if you want) to the hamburger and mix veggies in all together.

Get your fry pan You may want two), deep fryer or Fry Daddy ready.

Lay out the won ton wrappers out and fill the middle with a teaspoon or less with the meat mix. take your finger and dip in water and run it around the outside edge of the wrapper. Fold over to form a triangle. Press down on the edge.
Place in the pan with hot oil (the same amt. you would use to fry chicken) and let them get golden on both sides. If they puff up too much pierce with a fork before frying Otherwise the bit of meat kind of rolls around inside! LOL

These are great hot or cold..and they are addicting!:p
They are like slighty spicy bits of meatloaf in a crunchy wrapper.

Soy sauce or any other sauce you like are good for dipping.

My son usually does the frying after we have gotten 25 or 50 ready to go, I finish putting the rest together while he cooks.We make at least 100 or more at a time so he can take some home. It's a good excuse for breaking out the Tsingtao beer.
My friend gave me the recipe which is a lot more complicated and better since she is Japanese..but her way takes too long!:facepalm:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Didn't feel well today, so Mike and I made B.L.T. clubs for dinner. I made mine a triple decker so I can get extra lettuce and tomato on it! I also like avacado on it..sometimes insead of bacon. But I didn't have any! Cinnemon bun for dessert.
I will have to make fried chicken for tomorrow..it's thawed!
Phanton and dawn..you say that now..but I have even guests do chores...lol

DawnsFolly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Didn't feel well today ... Phanton and dawn..you say that now..but I have even guests do chores...lol

Awww ssry you're under the weather MK hope you feel better soon.
Guest chores? If it's half as good as it sounds I wouldn't be able to get my fat azz of the couch with a forklift.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.

Hillbilly HousewifesTomato Gravy
  • 2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper (scant)
  • 15-ounce can tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup milk or evaporated milk
Get out a nice big skillet. Heat the margarine or oil over medium heat. Stir in the flour with a fork or a whisk until it is lump free. Let the fat simmer for a moment or two, to toast the flour just a little bit. Add the sugar or honey, salt and little less than 1/4-teaspoon of pepper. Add the tomatoes. Smash the tomatoes with your fork to make them sort of choppy or shredded. This gravy is not smooth, so you don't have to work real hard at smashing the tomatoes. The lumpy tomatoes are actually what give it the characteristic texture which Tomato Gravy is famous for. When it begins to boil and thicken, add the milk gradually. Stir it all up and let it boil again. The milk will sometimes curdle a little bit. I don't know how to stop it, so I just serve it anyway. It tastes so good, folks seldom notice if the milk is smooth or not. This is good with any grain for a main dish, or just plain over noodles or potatoes. If you can your own tomatoes, you can double or triple the recipe for each quart of tomatoes you use. This recipe makes about 2-1/2 cup of gravy. Good with biscuits for breakfast or lunch, especially in the wintertime.

UPDATE from a reader named Bob; November 2005

Bob says that in his restaurant they add the milk to the flour and fat first and then let it thicken. When it is bubbly and thick, then you add your tomatoes. This is supposed to keep it from curdling. If your tomato gravy always curdles, then try this trick and see if it turns out better.
################################################## ####
From allrecipes

Mama's Tomato gravy
Ingredients

• 1/4 cup bacon drippings
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat bacon drippings in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir the flour into the bacon drippings and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Slowly pour the water into the flour mixture while whisking. Whisk in the tomato paste. Cook the mixture until it begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
################################################## ######
I have never made tomato gravy but my mom did! I do like stewed tomatos over beens and meatloaf!

Last edited:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Redeye gravy! I had this in Virgina..it was wonderful. I may have to try it on Mike..being from Ca. I may have to break to him gently, like I did with spanish food.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
6 frozen biscuits
2 tablespoons butter
6 biscuit-size country ham slices
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup strong brewed coffee
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
Preparation
1. Prepare frozen biscuits according to package directions.

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; remove ham.

3. Add flour to skillet; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Add brewed coffee, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup water. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until thickened; return ham slices to skillet. Stir in salt, pepper, and, if desired, hot sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread