edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Is there no Sticky FAQ yet?

Well maybe I should start one.

DCT..... Dripping Carto tank ??? Did I get that right? only figured that out today- just now actually while reading some of the posts here in the cartomizer subforum.

1: How compatible are cartomisers?

I am guessing they come in the same interfaces like the atomisers on one end- 510, Ego, 808, 901 etc; then I guess there is another end to consider?

2: Isn't a prepunched 'blank' cartomiser just an atomiser with a really big wick?

3: Are there any tanks yet that can take atomisers or cartomisers?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
DCT = Dual Coil tank.

Sort of a misnomer. Smoktech made one of the very first cartotanks, and each one came with one of their new dual coiled cartomizers. All cartomizers prior to this had only a single coil (heating coil or atomizer). As other manufacturers began making cartotanks, the name DCT stuck on to also mean any cartotank as a DCT although single coils can be used in them the same as a dual coil cartomizer. An anology would be what Kleenex is to facial tissues, Band Aids to adhesive bandages, etc...you get the idea.

Cartomizers come in two lengths, as do the tanks that they fit in. Standard length tanks require a standard length cartomizer (35mm). XL or DCT tanks require an XL length (45mm) cartomizer, sometimes also known as a DCT tank replacement cartomizer.

tank lengths.jpg skinnyphinny.jpg laser-drilled.jpg tool-punched carto.jpg

There are three major brands of cartomizers: Boge, Ikenvape, and SMOK or Smoktech. Each model/length may have a different name attached to the brand name to indicate the length. Ie. Ikenvapes are known as just Ikenvape (standard length) and Ikenvape Mega (XL length).

A cartomizer may be used alone without a tank (unpunched); to be used in a cartotank the cartomizer will need to have holes to allow juice from the tank to enter the cartomizer. These tanks can be pre-punched at the factory, or unpunched cartomizers can have holes made by the user with a carto punch tool.

Cartomizers have different resistances, or ohm ratings: low resistance, standard resistance, and high resistance. The resistance you choose depends upon whether your battery device is a fixed single voltage or variable voltage device. Generally, a variable voltage device will use a high resistance (high ohm) cartomizer.

Is it a carto, a tank, or what?

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Vendor List for Pre-Punched Cartomizers / Safe Vaping Power Chart

Cartotank Help for a Noob

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Ok,

So now for compatibility:

Length:
There's a standard 35mm
Then there's a 45mm
I think I saw a 66mm somewhere?

Lower interface (Power interface):
I guess many come as 510 threaded?
I suppose they also come as 808, 901, and other cigalike threadings?

Apparently there is also the "flanged cartomiser"; but I'm not clear whether it is an actual problem or not; at first it sounded like an incompatibility problem, but then it seemed the 'problem' was cosmetic; ("a gap between the tank and the battery")

Upper interface:
flat round thing with a hole as in cigalikes.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Ok, I sat through the half hour video; shouldve skipped the part about how to fill a carto; skipped the part about how to punch the (metal) carto.

281309d1363471994-faq-skinnyphinny.jpg

One big thing was the issue of the "o rings";

So basically, the cartomiser goes standalone on a power source such as a battery, and a tank for it is just designed to slide over the carto with a top and bottom o-ring to act as the seals so liquid doesn't end up leaking all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread