ecigs and add/adhd

Status
Not open for further replies.

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
I was wondering if any of you use vaping as a way of helping with your add/adhd symptoms. I have recently been diagnosed with adhd (I am 42 years old). It has not greatly effected me. I did quit smoking three years ago, and have not really been as happy, patient or focused as I was back when I was smoking.

In doing research, I realize that a lot of people with this condition love and have a lot of trouble quitting smoking. They have also found that nicotine can be very helpful in helping people with this condition focus better (which I did when I was smoking)

The bottom line is that I am considering vaping as a way of helping me. I never wanted to give up anyway and this allows me to start again, but in a less harmful way.

I was just curious if anyone else has dealt with this? I can understand if you are not comfortable talking about this. I look at this condition as a gift.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Although I've never been diagnosed with ADHD, I'm sure I'm afflicted. Being 64 and retired after two successful careers (first, 20 years USAF), I look back and can see where I may have done better. Regardless, I do now recognize that I have an issue with dealing with the mundane. I always find some 'new' endeavor to sate my desire for knowledge. But I'll be cursed if I can attend to my 'honey-do list'. If I do, it's at the last possible minute.

As to smoking, oh my, total addict! But vaping broke me free and I find that I can nibble away at that list. I was such a slave to the analogs.

Don't know if this addresses your topic as intended. But, yes, I need my nic thus far. Will I cut down to zero? I really don't know nor care at this point. I'm just soooo relieved to be tobacco free.

You're not alone, both in the ADHD or vaping. So here's to all of us...
partyhard.gif

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
Although I've never been diagnosed with ADHD, I'm sure I'm afflicted. Being 64 and retired after two successful careers (first, 20 years USAF), I look back and can see where I may have done better. Regardless, I do now recognize that I have an issue with dealing with the mundane. I always find some 'new' endeavor to sate my desire for knowledge. But I'll be cursed if I can attend to my 'honey-do list'. If I do, it's at the last possible minute.

As to smoking, oh my, total addict! But vaping broke me free and I find that I can nibble away at that list. I was such a slave to the analogs.

Don't know if this addresses your topic as intended. But, yes, I need my nic thus far. Will I cut down to zero? I really don't know nor care at this point. I'm just soooo relieved to be tobacco free.

You're not alone, both in the ADHD or vaping. So here's to all of us...
partyhard.gif

I too have been very successful ( my own business) but feel like I could have done even more. I can relate to everything that you said. I too cannot focus on the mundane and feel as though I was more able to do that when I was smoking. This is the main reason I am considering starting up again. I feel that if I do not smoke and vape instead, that it might help with my condition.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
I have been diagnosed with ADHD as a child, and also Adult ADHD when I was 19. I used to have very spastic moments, and even more dangerous anger outbursts until I would black out. When I smoked cigarettes, it became worse. Something weird with the enormous amount of chemicals in cigarettes happened because when I switched to vaping, I have been calmer, happier, and especially NOT angry. In fact, I can't remember the last time I was actually angry. Stressed? Yes. Upset? Yes. Angry? No. I still have my ADHD moments, but vaping has helped me in great lengths. However, I am no doctor, so I cannot say that this will help, but this is my personal experience. :)

Puffadder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
Punta Gorda Belize / NJ
I too am full on ADD (sorry Raynen, no offense intended but I refuse to accept the Dr.'s distinction between adult and child versions as to me the only difference is time of diagnoses). My GP told me for years that I was smoking as a form of self medication and that if it wasn't so unhealthy he would prescribe it for me as nicotine is far more effective than Ritalin (personally won't touch that :censored:) in his opinion.

Well now I have vaping as a safer (compared to smoking at least) delivery system. At the moment I am having some focusing issues, but I believe it is related to starting with too low of a juice. I thought I was getting a 12 mg bottle but found out it was 8mg instead. In hindsight though I think 16mg is probably going to be my sweet-spot.

I haven't joined yet (as soon as I finish signing up for the procrastinator's group I promise) but I think I saw an ADHD group on here somewhere.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
(sorry Raynen, no offense intended but I refuse to accept the Dr.'s distinction between adult and child versions as to me the only difference is time of diagnoses).

:vapor: None taken. I asked her what the difference was, and she was about to answer and I did it myself: Oh, so I got older and I still have it. Okay? So why is that something new? Well, she didn't know what to say to that :laugh:

Doctors... they're something else, for sure!

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
it's the insurance companies that force the doctors to make the distinction...reason being, they don't want to have to pay out a dang dime for any ADD-related medicine or counseling/therapy if they don't absolutely have to...

and by requiring adults who were already dx'd with add as children to be "evaluated" (re-evaluated), it creates one more line of red tape...and increases the chances of one not seeking help because they're nervous about having to be tested, or it's just too big of a hassle to bother with (because they have add, going to a few *more* doctor appointments in a row seems *impossible*).

i'm one of us, btw.

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
Yepper... your avatar gave it away!
anim_lol.gif

lol...i swear, i actually thought someone might mention that! -- the funny thing is, i never was interested in cartoons as a kid, and don't care for them much as an adult -- but with raising a *kid* that was absolutely addicted to them, i endured years upon years of cartoons blaring up to 18hrs a day...and then one day it all stopped, forever...now i miss those days.

:(

(so yeah, Shizzle not only has add, she also is obviously having a severe midlife crisis at the moment, as well as anticipatory anxiety over the eventual empty nest syndrome she'll endure...but she's got nothing to worry about -- heck, with the way her kid is doing in school these days, she won't have to worry about him leaving home until he's at least 40)

:laugh:

Last edited:

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
I an certain I have ADD. I never sought treatment though I think I should. I have a very difficult time working on one thing at a time which leaves half finished abandoned projects scattered throughout the house. Same at work unfortunately.

How does a doctor diagnose ADD?

they will give you a variety of tests. You can do some online. You just have to google add tests. I would highly recommend going to see a professional however for treatment and diagnosis.

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
I am curious how many of you are on meds and vape at the same time? Do you find one effects the other?

i take adderall xr, but not on a daily basis...i find that when i do take it, my desire for nicotine is INSANE, and i hit my pv constantly...my husband calls it my pacifier, lol.

Wil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
www.awesomeclouds.com
I was diagnosed at 18, used Ritalin as needed when I was in college, but haven't since...

Would be interesting to see some clinical trials... I don't know about everyone else, but I felt completely scattered when I'd try to quit before I vaped, and I think most people trying to quit feel this way, regardless of diagnosis... Being scatterbrained when trying to ween oneself off nicotine is probably more a symptom of nicotine withdrawal than of any other mental defect, and it would take a clinical trial to determine the real culprit, and I can't think of a way to do it easily...

All I can say is this: If you're self medicating with nicotine (I am!), then you must life by the simple credo... If it feels good, do it!

I love to vape, and I'm never quitting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread