e cigarette recommendation please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I would not recommend getting something without nicotine if you are trying to quit smoking though. For one thing, nicotine is about as bad as caffeine for you, for another thing it's not cancer causing, also it's not nearly as addictive as you might think; it's only very addictive when you get it from tobacco products. Nicotine will help you succeed with making the switch to vaping - so don't discount it's importance in making this endeavor work.

As for which one to get, there are a few concerns to think about:

• how much fussing around are you willing to do?

If you want the easiest system then you might like the KR808D-1 (aka vaporking at vapor4life). It's a two-piece e-cig (battery and cartomizer), so just screw the two parts together and you are vaping. With a bit more fussing around you can use the standard 510 system, it's a three piece system (battery, atomizer, cartridge) but you can opt to buy cartomizers for it if you want, just not in as many flavors as you find with the other system -- plus the battery doesn't last as long.

• how much do you have to spend?

The KR808D-1 system tends to be more expensive and the cartomizers are disposable (though they can be refilled a few times before tossing them) so will end up costing more in the long run. The 510 systems are dependent on e-juice but the basic components of the system last for quite a while without needing to be replaced so end up costing less in the long run.

• something you should know about the batteries on these things:

the more "cigarette-looking" the e-cig, the worse the battery life is going to be. If you want it to be exactly the size of a cig, you can find that but the battery lasts about 1/2 an hour. 510 is smaller than kr808d-1 but also doesn't last as long. 510 also comes in a bigger battery version called eGo (or Riva, same diff) that is as fat as a sharpie pen but the battery lasts about 7-8 hours. If you get the standard 510 or KR808D-1 you may want to also get a charging case for it so you can charge up your batteries when you go out.

All batteries have what's called a "mah" rating, the more "mah" the longer the battery lasts between charges. Each 100mah is good for about an hour of use. The standard 510 is 180mah, the KR808D-1 is 280mah, the eGo is 650mah (Riva is 750mah). ...and the cheap-o cig look-a-likes (no brand mentioned in this post, but they make them) are about 100mah or less.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
How much do you smoke - how many packs per day?

And ecigs don't come in flavors. You buy a good supported ecig you can refill with eliquid then try eliquids until you find ones you like

The most popular ecigs here in order battery life (and size)

Joye 510, 3-piece, can be used as a 2-piece mostly with blank cartomizers, 1-3 hour battery charge

These 2 have 60% longer battery life than Joye 510
Joye 510 w/ mega xl batteries
KR808D-1 (also Vapor4Life) w/ standard battery (a 2-piece w/ prefilled or blank cartomizers)

These are fat battery models more than 2x the charge life of Joye mega xl
Riva 510
Ego

Re prefilled - just a small convenience since you will be adding eliquid to everything and there are many many more flavors and varieties of menthol tobacco jucies and others as liquids than there are as prefilled carts or cartos

And I recommend you watch the videos in the sticky threads at the top of New Members - the videos for newbies

As mentioned, the 510 is an ok device to start with, but for a just a little more $ you can get the Joye eGo. You can get a full kit ready to go for around $55 shipped. Just add your preferred flavor of e juice.

The Joye eGo is a great product. You get two full cigs. The battery life is over 4 times longer than a standard 510 kit. You'll come to realize the importance of this later. It's also a great looking device. Once you start vaping, you may not even want your "e cig" to look like a cigarette. Try adding a LR (low resistance) atomizer to your order such as a LR 510 or LR 306 for much improved performace. Don't foget the drip tip for the 306 atomizer if you get that. The ego is a perfect starter kit and what I recommend to all trying to get into vaping. You can graduate into some big battery mods some day, once you have the experience :) I'm using a Silver Bullet from Altsmoke as my every day device, but if I had to give up my big battery mod, I would use an eGo with a LR 306 with a drip tip. The thing rocks!

suresh

Moved On
Mar 25, 2011
Nepal
  • Deleted by AngusATAT

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
DO NOT get the product recommended by suresh (no offense if you are legit suresh, but you sound like a spammer imo) That product is not a good product and the company will sell you a monthly subscription and then be "out of stock" when shipment time comes around.

I am not even going to mention the name of the product again (incase suresh gets axed). just don't go there.

Good luck! :)

MoonDance

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
"Get your Bloog on! USA
Hi Khissa - I'm new as well and after hours of reading here and researching/watching videos, I decided to try the kr808d-1 as my first e-cig.

I am not affiliated with anyone - just liked what I read about others experiences with the one I picked.
I knew I needed something easy to pick up and use and didn't want to even think about refilling our own etc, until we see if this type fits our needs.

My husband and I are both going Bloog branded e-cig together, he smoked Marlboro Red, and I smoked Winston Light - we decided to try Kamel 16mg carts for him and Red 6 mg for me as starting place. We didn't pick the cheapest place or the most expensive, but a money back guarantee sealed the deal for me.

Should have my stuff early next week, so I'll let you know my thoughts on those when they arrive.

I advise you choose a set amount of time to research and then just try something in your budget - I agonized for weeks, that I could have just been finding out by experience and already dropping analogs.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Krisb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
OH
Not that the above aren't great ecigs, but to say that they are the most popular is a little misleading. They are the most popular 3.7v devices, probably. But, there are many that go beyond 3.7v that are just as popular.

As a new ecig user, until you are confident this is for you, yes I would go with one of the lower cost ecigs (pv's) as listed above. But, once you get your feet wet, there are many options available. Higher voltage devices, variable volt devices and now some power regulated and juice fed pv's. These are referred to as mods.

If anyone says, try this, its what I use and love, while this may be good intentions, not exactly the right advice. Everyone is different and everyone needs to find their own 'sweet spot'. Many who say this started at 3.7 and are happy to stay there. This is fine as long as you remember there are many options available once you see if this is for you.

*Droid

Khissha

Mar 26, 2011
california
Thanks for all the help but i am clueless I dont know what 3.7v devices or pv's or anything else like that.. LOL.. here is a little more about me sorry if i rfepeat some stuff but here i go I smoke less than a pack aday (marlboro menthol lights) sometimes a whole pack depending how stressed the day is..i'am very new to this and don’t know where to start i am looking for something easy to use and as close to the real thing as possible taste wise.. If i choose one with nicotine where should i start?.. Iam willing to spend up to $100.00.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I forgot to say - I recommend manual batteries. With manuals you can refill cartomizers (assuming you buy a popular model that has cartomizer available) and drip on an atomizer without worrying about killing your battery if juice gets on the threaded end of the battery. Since those are the two most popular methods of vaping, it's nice to 1. buy a model with those options available and 2. not be in danger of killing your batteries by doing them

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
If you want something very easy to use you should start with vapor4life (they sell a KR808D-1). As for flavor, there is not one that tastes like a cigarette because (you will discover this after you have been vaping for a few weeks) cigarettes don't actually taste very good, sort of like burned running shoes. You may find that if you try the different flavors with an open mind that you like the flavor better, but if you are looking for something to taste like what you are used to you'll be disappointed. E-cig tobacco flavors often taste like what a fresh new pack smells like.

Other great options (for the same or similar kit) are:

litecigusa (but don't buy the cartomizers here, get them from vapor4life)
bloog (another KR808D-1), but people say they like the cartomizers even better than vapor4life.

The KR808D-1 is the easiest system to use, it's just the two parts: battery+cartomizer. If you want to just use pre-filled cartomizers you can but it gets more expensive that way. MOst people will recommend that you eventually try re-filling them yourself with e-liquid that you buy, that way you can choose from so many other flavors and also save a bunch of money.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
What about green smoke brand.. Has anyone tried them.

Lots of people try them, they say that it's o.k. but EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY expensive. My understanding is that they are selling the kr808d-2 (not the more popular kr808d-1), which is inferior. As you can see from this website <link> you can buy the parts for CHEAP but greensmoke sells them for $$$$$$$.

Krisb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
OH
Lol, don't worry, we were all new once and we all know it can be very confusing. A pv (personal vaporizer) is just another name for an ecig. Many people like that term better because it doesn't associate this with smoking reg. Cigs.

Basically, an ecig (pv) is just a few parts put together to form the functioning system. First is the battery. The basic ones are 3.7 volts (I'm not overly techy, but basically the power) it will have a mah rating. The higher the mah rating the longer you will have between having to charge the battery.

Then you will need either an atomizer (the part that screws onto the battery that turns the juice into the vapor) and a cartridge (the mouthpiece that has foam in it that holds the juice)

Or

A cartomizer ( this is an atomizer and cartridge in one piece), you will probably find this easier. It has stuffing in it that you saturate with juice, put a drip tip on (mouthpiece) screw it on the battery and smoke (vape).

You will have to buy juice, there are many online vendors. Vaporbomb.com, freedomsmokesusa.com....many! Look around the forum, many will be mentioned. Buy many sample sizes so you can see what you might like. Most vendors let you pick the strength of nicotine all the way down to zero (which most won't recommend because nicotine is not in itself more dangerous than caffeine and the nicotine will help the quitting process).

There are many videos on YouTube demonstrating how to do just about everything you need. On this forum under the new member section, read the stickies for a lot of newbie info.

*Droid

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
Thanks for all the help but i am clueless I dont know what 3.7v devices or pv's or anything else like that.. LOL.. here is a little more about me sorry if i rfepeat some stuff but here i go I smoke less than a pack aday (marlboro menthol lights) sometimes a whole pack depending how stressed the day is..i'am very new to this and don’t know where to start i am looking for something easy to use and as close to the real thing as possible taste wise.. If i choose one with nicotine where should i start?.. Iam willing to spend up to $100.00.

Also, one thing about e-cigarettes: It can be as easy or as complex as you want it to be. You can learn all about mah, voltage, Low/high resistance etc etc etc... if you want, heck, you can even make your own e-cig out of parts you buy at radio shack if you want and e-liquids from snus packets.

OR it can be simple if you want. You don't need to know all that technical stuff, you can just get a kit and watch a couple videos on youtube and vape away happily forever.

Many vapers do choose to learn at least a minimum of some of the technical stuff over time just because it makes buying new innovations easier, or it helps you customize your "perfect vape" easier, or (and probably most important for many) it ends up saving you tons of money the more you know.

But like I said, you don't really need to know any of it. All you really need to know is enough to buy parts and replacement stuff for your model (so if you get the kr808d-1 buy kr808d-1 stuff, if you get the 510 buy 510 stuff). Everything else can be learned (or not, your choice) over time.

MoonDance

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
"Get your Bloog on! USA
Khissa,
What you just said is so true...those who have been doing this a long time forget newbies don't speak the slang yet.

What I learned by reading is many pros here recommended a two piece system for beginners like us, simple and foolproof.
A two piece system uses a cartomizer (carto) and a battery (numbered to refer to length of battery in millimeters/or voltage). The cartomizer contains a combination of both the "juice" (flavored liquid) and atomizer (thing that makes the juice create vapor) and it screws into a rechargeable battery. You recharge the batteries and buy new cartos (or refill).

What I think I am hearing you say is you are asking for a shopping list or suggestion of what you need to start with? If I misunderstood you thing just disregard below this, lol. =)

Here is what I did as a first time buyer myself - I just ordered on Friday. I choose Bloog.com because they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Everybody has a different opinion as to who to buy from, and there are cheaper options, and no I don't work for any of them.

For me, I wanted something that looked like a normal (analog) cig and that automatically (auto) produced vapor instead of having to press a button (manual). I decided on the kr808d-1 type because it had the look I wanted, and decent battery life.

For me and my hubby, I picked out a Deluxe Maxx Fusion starter kit and added an extra battery and a different flavor carto: I got 5 flavored cartos, 2 white 78mm batteries, carry case/charging carry case, usb/house/car charger, and added a Silver 78mm battery and a 5 pack of cartos in a different flavor. With a discount code i found in the forums (lanza) I got 10% off and spent just slightly more than your budgeted amount with shipping included. Keep in mind that's for two people to use.

That said, I saw places where you can get minimal set for 20-50 bucks.

As for "juice" strength, it comes from Zero, 6mg (light), 11-12mg (medium), 16mg (regular), 24mg (high) and so on. For myself I picked the lightest one 6mg as I smoked Winston Light cigarettes, and for my husband I got 16mg as he smoked Marlboro Reds. Only time will tell if I choose correctly, but you gotta start somewhere, right? =)

All you really have to have is - cartos, battery, charger to try them out. Oh yeah, and no one accepts returns on cartos (afaik) so don't order a bazillion until you find out if you like the way they taste first.

Again I am not a salesman for anyone, please don't anyone flame me, I'm just sharing what I got.
I drove myself CRAZY for two weeks or more waffling on what to buy, when I could have already
had something at home enjoying it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
A carto is generally equal to about a pack of "analogs".

...except they tell you it's the same as a pack, but it's not. A typical carto holds about 1ml of juice, but most vapers go through about 3ml per day. I recommend that you go online and get some more cartos or juice to re-fill with asap, IMO.

Bloog is a good kit though, so you'll really like it I'm sure. (but get some more cartos :thumbs:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread