• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Don't Let Old Memories Poison Church for Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Don't Let Old Memories Poison Church for Kids - Dr. Billy Graham
_________________________________________________________________________________
Question: I had to go to church when I was young, but I always resented it and quit once I got older. Now, I'm married with two small children, and my wife thinks we ought to start going to church for their sakes. But what's to keep them from resenting it like I did? - M.M.

Answer: Have you ever asked yourself exactly why you resented having to go to church? Was it because you found it boring and wished you could be doing something else? Or was it because you simply didn't like being told what to do - no matter what it was? And if you start going to church again, will you have the same feelings?

I ask this because your attitude (whatever it is ) will inevitably influence your children. In other words, if you resent going to church, they'll probably resent it also. Never forget our children learn from our example, for better or worse.

But perhaps God is trying to get your attention, and He's using this situation to do it. Right now, God means little to you; your disinterest in church is a sign of this. But God doesn't want you to remain a stranger, and I pray you won't. Instead, face honestly your need for Christ, and humbly open your life to Him, both for your sake and that of your family. The greatest tragedy any father can ever commit is to turn his children away from God.

Then ask God to lead you to a church where you'll not only grow in your faith, but your children will look forward to going. Many churches have special programs for children that they'll not only enjoy, but that will teach them about Jesus. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them" (Mark 10:14).:wub:

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Don't Let Old Memories Poison Church for Kids - Dr. Billy Graham
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Question: I had to go to church when I was young, but I always resented it and quit once I got older. Now, I'm married with two small children, and my wife thinks we ought to start going to church for their sakes. But what's to keep them from resenting it like I did? - M.M..
    :wub:

:blink: Are you directing this question to me ?
    It looks like it but I'm not sure ?

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    :blink: Are you directing this question to me ?
    It looks like it but I'm not sure ?

Uh......no.:confused: I just liked the question, as I think that all kids who are made to go to church all the time mostly don't pursue it once they leave home for awhile. (I was one.) But, when children enter the picture, decisions have to be made. When I met Jesus and became a born again, my next thought was of my son. IMHO, Almighty God will hold parents accountable for those decisions they do/do not make concerning getting truth to their children about Him. But that's just me. :closedeyes:

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Uh......no.:confused: I just liked the question, as I think that all kids who are made to go to church all the time mostly don't pursue it once they leave home for awhile. (I was one.) But, when children enter the picture, decisions have to be made. When I met Jesus and became a born again, my next thought was of my son. IMHO, Almighty God will hold parents accountable for those decisions they do/do not make concerning getting truth to their children about Him. But that's just me. :closedeyes:

Agreed though I think it's more about how we make the decision and follow up on it. Children are not our things they little people who can make they own decisions that were given to us as students and we the teachers and overseer.

IMO: I don't think it's wise to force God in any way on to a child, can easy cause resentment towards God, they're little people and it should be their choice But But But when you have young children that can't be left home alone and you need to go to church. I wouldn't pay or ask anyone to baby sit them not even ask a relative like grandma to do so, child's place is with parent this way your teaching the child what responsibility that a parent has and what you expect them to do when their have children and at the same time sharing the word of God with them as your meeting your responsibility as parent and leader it will also give a sharing moment during the day on what both has learned or thinks..

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hi guys!!

I also grew up resenting having to go and stopped as soon as they option was given- 10yrs old. The hardest bleakest darkest time of my life started soon after and didn't let up until I was 23.

Awhile back I asked my 2 ( 12 and 14yr olds) children if they are going to church only because we take them. They replied that they wanted to go anyway.

Impressive because they spent the time mostly just trying to stay awake, lol. Long sermons from a Baptist minister....

We've since made the hard decision to switch to another type of church tho very similar. It has many programs for young and old. Kids love it!

Daughter is being Baptized this coming Sunday :):thumbs:

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    Proverbs 22:6 (KJV)
    6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I had to move back in with my parents when I was 35 years of age.....only for a short while. When I am in someone else's house, I live by their rules. I told Mom I would go to church on Sunday morning, but I didn't want her to cram it down my throat. (Exact words.) Well, lo and behold, within that month, I had a Damascus Road experience! It's because my mom insisted on me going to church! I was divorced with a son, who was living at his dad's for awhile. It wasn't that I was 8 years old. Of course, I was reared in church! I loved Sunday School, but we were there every time the doors opened. From what I've heard, preacher's children have problems with this, too.

One other point I want to make. Allowing children to 'make their own decisions' about church.....you don't let them make a decision on whether to go to school or not. What if they need to go to the doctor and have to have a shot? Or the dentist? That's why the above Scripture is so right on target. 'Train up a child' means just that. You're the parent and head of household, which means it's your responsibility, and God will hold you responsible. It's not an easy concept to swallow, but it's the truth. Just think about it. :wub::wub:

BTW, 777, CONGRATULATIONS! I know you are beaming!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hi r7 long time no hear you.

I know that feeling my son did the same at age four I couldn't have been more happy.

Good to see you also. Age 4 sounds young, but surely anything is possible. How is he doing with his faith, if I may? It's different when you get saved young compared to later in life.

Wish my faith would have begun when I got baptized as an infant in the Catholic church :) ( nothing against the Catholic church)

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I had to move back in with my parents when I was 35 years of age.....only for a short while. When I am in someone else's house, I live by their rules. I told Mom I would go to church on Sunday morning, but I didn't want her to cram it down my throat. (Exact words.) Well, lo and behold, within that month, I had a Damascus Road experience! It's because my mom insisted on me going to church! I was divorced with a son, who was living at his dad's for awhile. It wasn't that I was 8 years old. Of course, I was reared in church! I loved Sunday School, but we were there every time the doors opened. From what I've heard, preacher's children have problems with this, too.

One other point I want to make. Allowing children to 'make their own decisions' about church.....you don't let them make a decision on whether to go to school or not. What if they need to go to the doctor and have to have a shot? Or the dentist? That's why the above Scripture is so right on target. 'Train up a child' means just that. You're the parent and head of household, which means it's your responsibility, and God will hold you responsible. It's not an easy concept to swallow, but it's the truth. Just think about it. :wub::wub:

BTW, 777, CONGRATULATIONS! I know you are beaming!

Oh yeah! I sat and re-read what I wrote for a few minutes after posting :)

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Good to see you also. Age 4 sounds young, but surely anything is possible. How is he doing with his faith, if I may? It's different when you get saved young compared to later in life.

Wish my faith would have begun when I got baptized as an infant in the Catholic church :) ( nothing against the Catholic church)

He came into this world meeting three holy rollers counting his sister, he had no place to hide, we talked scripture all listen to scripture almost 24/7's. I use to come home seeing him in our bed or his sisters watching ministry on TV or listing to radio or tape. We asked him during a talk if he understood about JESUS and he did. We talked to him about God and Jesus like we would anyone else and we asked him would he like accept Jesus and that he understood, he knew it better then me so we led him in pray and he asked God to forgive him year later it was a repeat we baptism so we baptized him. At age six his sister went to be with the Lord and at age 8 the same for his mother through it all we have seen God alongside of us. Now his twenty still hearing ministry on TV listing to tapes seeing his crazy dad talking to God and doing all sorts of weird stuff, though we haven't been to a church in years are foundation is in place and we have been learning. He has surprised me more then once being able to quote and explain scripture and we do talk on the evils of the world and the goodness of God, he has faith in God and Jesus and still proclaims Jesus when I ask him. All this shows me don't judge a book by it's cover. He belongs to God as much as I do and that's 100%. Sorry if I went on a rant but I don't know how to tell a short version of this story.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't

That would be an excellent topic to discuss on the board.

Since proverb was written before grace how should we train up a child under the law, if grace didn't come till many years later through Jesus?

For one I say by example.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    That would be an excellent topic to discuss on the board.

Since proverb was written before grace how should we train up a child under the law, if grace didn't come till many years later through Jesus?

For one I say by example.

Interesting thought, but I disagree. If that is the way of it, why have the Old Testament at all? There is great wisdom in the Old Testament, and I believe it was you who said that The New Testament was steeped through the Old Testament. There is valuable wisdom in the Old Testament.....so valuable that we need to learn great lessons from it everyday. Case in point: when God says don't do a certain thing, DON'T DO IT!" There are consequences for sin. Look at the first recorded family....got kicked out of the most beautiful garden ever.

When God asks you to do something, don't try to out run it. Ask Jonah.:facepalm: God's rainbow is still in the sky.:) Don't let a speech impediment keep you from doing the work of God. Ask Moses about that one.:) When God says to NOT look back when He destroys twin cities, don't do it.....ask Lot's wife. Well, you can't since she's table salt.:ohmy: There is valuable wisdom to glean ..... ask King David! Don't look at naked women taking baths on the top of houses! :ohmy: Just because you follow a lesson learned doesn't mean you're not still under Grace and are under the law. If the Old Testament wasn't important, it wouldn't be included in the Bible. Those are my thoughts on it.:2c: :D

Last edited:

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Interesting thought, but I disagree.

Does God command us not to look back or tells us and we decide. Of cause God is telling us what is the best thing for us. If God commands us then He prevents us from using free will.

Now we call it sin but it's doing what's right and wrong that produce a results. Sin is the translation word from scripture into English.

Last edited:

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 24, 2010
    Mississippi
    Does God command us not to look back or tells us and we decide. Of cause God is telling us what is the best thing for us. If God commands us then He prevents us from using free will.

Now we call it sin but it's doing what's right and wrong that produce a results. Sin is the translation word from scripture into English.

Going back and reading all of this, it looks like I was chasing my tail. I don't think I completely understood what you were getting at......so very sorry. Have had many many many many things going on! Whoopsie!:blush:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread