Not open for further replies.

Smokester!

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
UK
www.liberro.co.uk
Hi Everyone

I just wondered what problems (if any!) you may encounter when importing e-cigs etc. from overseas? And what your ideal import scenario would be for your country?

I've read irate posts that state sellers lie about the contents which causes problems, posts about HUGE customs and admin charges (presumably when the seller marks the goods accurately) and posts that tell stories of a smooth problem free deliveries.

I assume that all countries have slightly different import regulations and varying degrees of said regulations. What are your experiences?

I open up the floor to you all...

And yes, the answers you provide could well make all our lives a little easier and stress free when you import something from me :) after all, you are best placed to comment about your own countries rules and regs.

Thanks
Smokester!

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I've been lucky. I haven't had any customs problems at all, despite every Chinese seller lying about the contents, saying things like pipe parts, or picture frame.

Europeans tend to be truthful, but evasive, saying things like electronics, or electronic device. Pillbox declared cartridges and atomizers, but didn't say for what. ;D

Sedansa, though, actually declared it as a Toshiba laptop, valued at 380 Euro (WAAAY more than I actually spent), and even included an official looking invoice to that effect. :lol:

The only problem I've had with foreign purchases was penmanship. European handwriting is a bit different, particularly in the numbers. I've had delivery delays because they mistook the european 1 for a 7, or the 4 for a 21. When I finally got the packages, and saw the labels, I had to admit I might have been confused too.

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
No issues with European packages (Janty, Sedansa). spanked for taxes by the Revenue on an inbound package from US njoy (and there I thought I was saving a few quid over the EU site).

So my advice now is order from yer own continent, if at all possible. I had loads of returns and the European dealers came through fine. Took a while but it's all good. I'm less hopeful about njoy (duff atomiser) who haven't replied to my mail yet. To be fair, I only sent it yesterday to the info@NJOYthefreedom.com address. Does anyone have a mail address for Mark (saw his name in a thread somewhere but never going to find it again)?

clavit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2008
EU
No problems so far. I'm from Denmark, and have ordered from UK only. Danish customs are unpredictable at best, so i decided against importing from China. Shipments from within the EU tend to cause less problems and so far no packages have been stopped. I have had three mini e-cigs delivered by mail, and have just received a shipment of 10 mini e-cigs + 1000 cartridges!

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
Hey Mixos

I had a similar customs hang-up in UK (package from US). Because I was tracking it, I contacted the local carrier (Royal Mail Parcelforce). It turned out the revenue wanted a bite and RMP were holding the package until they got it. They said they sent me an invoice by snail mail but I've never received it. I just ponied up the thirty quid to bail out my NJOY (swore a lot, though). Might be worth your while to contact your local carrier.

I've seen a lot of comment on this issue lately - seems like the PTB don't know how to handle these items.

Mystic Emp predicts: They'll tax us till our eyes bleed

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I just want to announce that I just received my package from you smokester- fairly quick delivery- had to sign for it at post office- but no problems at all. Not sure how many days it took as I forgot whe I ordered it- I'd guess it took abotu 1 week or so, not bad at all concidering it came from overseas. Overall, I say great service, good shipping time, and excellent prices- thanks

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm the indignant one over Chinese lies about content -- after my flawed shipment, with paid-for "express" delivery -- was held a month by Customs in the U.S. E-Cig never made the deal right, after shorting me 50ml of E-Liquid. I've never forgiven them and never will. They also lie about contents and value, which Customs has been made aware of by my shipment.

About the same time Customs was holding my express shipment, the U.S. Post Office delivered me another E-Cig package. So it was FedEx at Customs that was the problem. The good old Post Office just .. delivered.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I had to laugh, the description on my Smokester's package said "Lung Guard" or something liek that- but it worked evidently- the post office came htrough quite well for me- that's not to say it always will but it did htis time- quite pleased.

I just checked, and my order payment to Smokester's site went through on the evenign of the 11'th which was a Friday, late at night, and I beleive it was shipped the next day which was Saturday- not sure if it got picked up by the shipping company then or on Monday, but it arrived this A.M so I'm guessing it went into actual shipping on Monday and if so the shipping was 4 1/2 days or so- not bad at all- I don't think shipping companies work hte weekends, but I could be wrong, if so, it was still 7 days which isn't too bad at all- just gotta order before I run out next time just to be sure I've togt enough during transit

Smokester!

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
UK
www.liberro.co.uk
I had to laugh, the description on my Smokester's package said "Lung Guard" or something liek that- but it worked evidently- the post office came htrough quite well for me- that's not to say it always will but it did htis time- quite pleased.

Yup, the old "Lung Guard Apparatus" description and the correct HS/commodity code is a truthful representation of what the package contains so shouldn't give you any problems at your end.

It does sound like a crazy description but this is how I get them imported to me with no problems at all. (unless you count my first order which completely confused UPS to the tune of 3 days!!)

It's good to hear you got the order with no problems Naz. :) Oh, btw... I use Royal Mail for shipping who seem to be doing quite a good job of the whole thing both locally and internationally.

vafvaf

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2008
Europe
i had a custom request for the pack from e-cig (china), the custom ask an original invoice (web order was ok for them), but than they make a tax according to european law for the tobacco product (70%), i guess legally it was correct, because the cartridges (e-liquid) contents come from extract from tobacco. so, be aware, that the product, which coming to europe from China or US could become 70% more in price.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
out of twenty or so orders from china one got hit by customs or rather TNT who act as an agent for customs.. 200 quid went up to 300 quid.. it was taxed as a tobacco product.. i queried it and they reduced it to 66 quid.. 17% vat 15 quid import duty plus 12 quid TNT handing charge.. still a lot extra..

i think its do do with package size and cost.. it was a large pipe order plus lots of pipe carts.. quite a sizable package..

smaller packages seem to come straight thru.. big ones get hit.. my policy now will be to keep the order size/cost down and pay the extra postage.. several small orders instead of one lager one.. spread the risk so to speak..

trog

Last edited:

clavit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2008
EU
i had a custom request for the pack from e-cig (china), the custom ask an original invoice (web order was ok for them), but than they make a tax according to european law for the tobacco product (70%), i guess legally it was correct, because the cartridges (e-liquid) contents come from extract from tobacco. so, be aware, that the product, which coming to europe from China or US could become 70% more in price.

As far as i can tell, it would depend on local laws.
In Denmark, we pay an import tax + VAT for products imported from outside the EU. In addition there is a cigarette tax on cigarettes, cigar tax on cigars and so forth. The cigarette tax law defines in detail what a cigarette is. The cigarette tax specifically deals with a roll of tobacco wrapped in paper, regardless of production method. The e-cig does not contain tobacco or paper, therefore the cigarette tax does not apply! Same goes for the other tobacco taxes; none of them apply to our e-cigs.

best regards

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
its not just down to the law in the UK.. they quite clearly dont bother applying the law whatever it is with smaller less expensive "looking"packages.. we have an £18 pound maximum including shipping value for duty free imports plus the "gift" thing.. anything over should in theory be "taxed" in some way or other.. it isnt thow.. manpower demands alone probably stops them checking every small package that comes thru.. pot luck plays a big part.. stuff looking cheap in jiffy bags seems to come straight in.. bigger stuff gets the "law" applied.. TNT make a profit from doing this but again quite cleary dont bother unless they think its worth their while doing the paper work and sending out the bill..

trog

vafvaf

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2008
Europe
The e-cig does not contain tobacco or paper, therefore the cigarette tax does not apply! Same goes for the other tobacco taxes; none of them apply to our e-cigs.

best regards

that was my argument as well when i reply to custom, but they quote a tax law, where written about any tobacco product (70% tax). so as e-cig stated in the certificate https://e-cig.com/shopping/shopcontent.asp?type=certifications that that they get tobacco flavor and nicotine from natural tobacco ...than 70% more ;-(

and as respond to trog "smaller packages seem to come straight thru.. big ones get hit.. "
i think its work very randomly..as many laws ;-), my order was realy small: just 8 bottles by 8ml and some usb plugs..and its get to custom..

good luck for orders with e-liquids ;-)

ps.<but i think after december 2008 new tax law will be applyed for europian import, where up to 200eur import not under the tax, than we dont have to think about our small ecig orders

Last edited:

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
that was my argument as well when i reply to custom, but they quote a tax law, where written about any tobacco product (70% tax). so as e-cig stated in the certificate https://e-cig.com/shopping/shopcontent.asp?type=certifications that that they get tobacco flavor and nicotine from natural tobacco ...than 70% more ;-(

and as respond to trog "smaller packages seem to come straight thru.. big ones get hit.. "
i think its work very randomly..as many laws ;-), my order was realy small: just 8 bottles by 8ml and some usb plugs..and its get to custom..

good luck for orders with e-liquids ;-)

ps.<but i think after december 2008 new tax law will be applyed for europian import, where up to 200eur import not under the tax, than we dont have to think about our small ecig orders

at worse that could be said to apply to liquid or carts contaning nicotine derived from tobbaco.. the rest has nothing to do with tobacco.. it could be considered a health product use none nicotine carts and be subject to only 5% vat.. another example of pot luck at work..

my argument that it wasnt a tobbaco related product was accepted.. the other 95% of my orders have simply come thru without any customs charge at all.. but it would make sense to raise the no duty limit.. the manpower needed to raise small amounts of revenue dosnt justify doing it..

having said that UK customs are a law unto themselves and seem to make the rules up as they go along.. otherwise all UK smokers would buy their real cigs online from Belgium.. if its tried our wonderfull customs simply confiscate the lot even thow its quite legal as long as vat is paid at the source country..

if one makes the trip to buy it directly u are quite likely to lose it.. own use or not..

i recently paid £20 for ten packets of duty free amber leaf rolling tobacco on a P&O ferry the same amount bought in the UK would cost over £100.. if the profits high enough even officialdom dosnt entirely behave in an honest way

trog

vafvaf

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2008
Europe
at worse that could be said to apply to liquid or carts contaning nicotine derived from tobbaco.. the rest has nothing to do with tobacco.. it could be considered a health product use none nicotine carts and be subject to only 5% vat.. another example of pot luck at work..

trog

thanks trog, yes, custom apply 70% VAT only for the liquid and carts, the rest was regular , but not as a 5%vat of a health product, ..but i am not going to continue to correspond with the custom for this 5% .it would take too much energy for this ammount of money ;-), but tnx for this info..good to know in future

Dark Justice

Jul 24, 2008
My order came from Hong Kong and was being delivered by DHS here in the USA. My package was held by customs and I was told the FDA wanted to take a look at it. It was labled as Lung Guard. I explained what it was and they told me that they would have to clear it with the FDA. Somthing for all to know so if this happens to you... tell them that the FDA has no jurisdiction over your package as it is NOT a quit smoking aid rather a smoking replacement which gives the FDA no rights to regulate the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread