Coil ohms and taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

spada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Bensalem pa.
I had been building my two cyclones and one rm2 at about 1.15 to 1.20 ohms. Last week I built them all about .90 to .95 ohms. Suddenly all my juices started to taste bad.I didn't know what I was going to do and then I remembered the lower builds. Today I built three new coils right around 1.45 to 1.50 ohms and wala all my juices tasted better again.So I guess sub ohm coils are not for everyone. Thanks , Dave

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
This is exactly why we experiment so much. Coil ohms alone don't tell the whole story. There are several other things that come into play, like number of wraps, wire gauge, mandrel size, air flow, wick material, chamber size of the atty, etc. you can get entirely different profiles, by changing the variables.
For example: I like dual coils, at around .4 to .45 ohms. I also like 2mm diameter coils. I can achieve my target ohms with 6 wraps of 27g kanthal; or I can achieve the same target ohms with 7 wraps of 26g. Same ohms, same coil diameter. But, the 6 wrap coil will seem a bit hotter, and the ramp up time will be quicker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tony Spectacular

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Philadelphia
Agreed. I've found my sweet spot to be ~0.5 ohms and ~2mm on my beloved Nuppin', using triple twisted 32g, and with coils of staggered height...one at airhole level, one ever so slightly higher. It took a lot of experimenting to find that sweet spot, and I'm so glad I took the time to get there. Just as I'm glad you've found yours. Cheers, friend.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The allusive "sweet spot" can also be joose specific to some extent, something I've experienced many times myself having tried so many different premade liquids and doing extensive DIY for a few months early on. In your case as in some specific liquids are just better at higher ohms to some people. Case in point, the quite popular in some circles GVC (Grant's Vanilla Custard). Grant himself recommends running it at 1.7-1.8 ohms for the best flavor. That must have at least some merit because most folks seem to agree and run it at or near his recommendation (I have no idea what builds they are using). However I run it way lower myself, and like it much better at mid sub ohm. That tends to follow that taste is subjective... or that I have no taste at all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread