Code Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
I'm really beginning to think those batteries have something to do with Chucks not acting like Chucks. Now using a loaner 3.7v 18650 and so far no atty casualty for me. Hmm...

Hmm. those are what i have and for sure an atty can fail using 6v.

I blew my first atty with those but that's to be expected if you don't be careful

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I'm really beginning to think those batteries have something to do with Chucks not acting like Chucks. Now using a loaner 3.7v 18650 and so far no atty casualty for me. Hmm...

I'd tend to suspect those batteries as being an issue too... simple fact of the matter is that you're overdischarging the hell out of those batteries at 6V
their max discharge rate is only <.55A on those..

with a carto you're at a 2A draw...even the HV801 (I'm assuming the 4.5Ω one) you're at a 1.33A draw.. so 2-4 times the capabilities of the batteries..
May be causing premature battery death in that they're no longer taking or holding a charge because they've been abused..
I know some people like their tenergy batteries but truth is they're just not good batteries for what we're using them for..

NightNurse

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
SE Michigan
I'd tend to suspect those batteries as being an issue too... simple fact of the matter is that you're overdischarging the hell out of those batteries at 6V
their max discharge rate is only <.55A on those..

with a carto you're at a 2A draw...even the HV801 (I'm assuming the 4.5Ω one) you're at a 1.33A draw.. so 2-4 times the capabilities of the batteries..
May be causing premature battery death in that they're no longer taking or holding a charge because they've been abused..
I know some people like their tenergy batteries but truth is they're just not good batteries for what we're using them for..

Good point, you're probably right. What batteries would you suggest?

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
Good point, you're probably right. What batteries would you suggest?

in the little chuck?...
specifically the AW high drain LiMN batteries...they're capable of discharging up to 4.4A without any damage to the battery..
here: AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123 size LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Battery

In the big Chuck?
really any 18650 for 3.7V

for 6V...the AW 3V LiFePo4 ...their max drain rate is considerably higher than the tenergy... 5A on the AW (versus .55A on the tenergy)
Here: AW LiFePO4 3 Volt Lithium Rechargeable Battery

or the High drain LiMN for 7.4V...

All of those batteries have a max drain rate higher than the amp draw of any atty you're going to throw at it..

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
for 6V...the AW 3V LiFePo4 ...their max drain rate is considerably higher than the tenergy... 5A on the AW (versus .55A on the tenergy)
Here: AW LiFePO4 3 Volt Lithium Rechargeable Battery
It says "DO NOT USE TWO OF THESE WITH INCANDESCENT LAMPS" in the description. An atty is pretty much the same as an incandescent lamp with a glowing filament. I'd be more hesitant to use these than the Tenergy one's.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
It says "DO NOT USE TWO OF THESE WITH INCANDESCENT LAMPS" in the description. An atty is pretty much the same as an incandescent lamp with a glowing filament. I'd be more hesitant to use these than the Tenergy one's.
no it says don't use 2 of these stacked with 6W incandecent lamps..
totally different than our atties....

I've also emailed the AW dealer and asked why you shouldn't use them with a 6W incandecent bulb...and it's because they can't drive a 6W bulb efficiently on a continuous discharge..and in a continuous discharge situation in a flashlight without a voltage control chip the voltage drop off is rapid..which is totally a flashlight specific concern..
someone else asked if they could power a 10W lamp with them...and the reply was that they might have to use 4 of them to power it efficiently...so really it's a disclaimer for efficient runtime for a 6W incandecent (which has a higher draw when you switch it on) bulb..again flashlight specific concern...we're using them in bursts not in a continuous draw situation...but max drain rate still comes into play.

look I get it you like the tenergy batteries..I don't because they have a crappy max drain rate...any atty that we're running will exceed that which means they're getting the snot beat out of them..
Honestly til I saw that those AW LiFePo4 were good for up to a 10C discharge rate I didn't think there were any good batteries for 6V vaping..

But in researching further these I trust...the tenergy not so much..
And though I like lighthound as a dealer well there's no explaination... I'd much rather trust the AW dealer (and he doesn't have the same disclaimer as far as 6W incandecent bulbs) ...here's a thread all about the AW LiFePo4: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=125353

Last edited:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
So is W the same as V. I read "but not with 6 VOLT incandescent bulbs".
no W is the power output...V is the voltage of the battery..

I can oly assume that Lighthound is a typo of some sort...like I said the AW dealer direct doesn't have that warning...and I've never seen a bulb rated in Volts..except there...but I'm not an expert on bulbs..

I do however understand how to figure max drain rates on batteries...and C ratings on batteries..and how to calculate the amp draw of atties at different voltages....and how to use voltage and resistance to figure watts of heat...and how they apply to Ohm's law and the power law equation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread