Chewing gum and Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
If I have read the technical reports correctly, nicotine has not (at this time) been directly linked as a cancer causing agent. Tobacco specfic nitrosamines are supposedly present in trace quantities according to a number of sources, but at a level several orders of magnitude less than a regular cigarette. Nicotine is not without hazards, and it is possible to overdose. However, users would typically experience unpleasant symptoms long before this became an issue. Headaches, nausea, and increased blood pressure are early warning signs. This is usually sufficient to cause someone to decrease or cease their nicotine intake before a hazardous overdose would occur.

I'm no doctor, but I would think that unless you chew the same piece of gum for days or even a week, you would not be able to "trap" enough carcinogenic material in there to cause any concern.

You may want to consider that vaping while chewing gum poses a higher risk of choking than anything else. While inhaling the vapor, you could accidentally draw your gum into your airway causing an obstruction that would prove difficult to remove if alone.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
On the surface it looks as if the other stuff in cigarette smoke is probably the cause of the problems - if any. So ecigs should be OK. The only person who could answer this with any degree of authority is someone like Dr Laugesen, who knows ecigs, other smokeless products, and the various issues. Maybe go to his site on tobacco harm reduction and see if you can email him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread