Boston Bans E-Cigarettes in Workplaces, Just Because

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yesterday the Boston Public Health Commission voted to ban the use of electronic cigarettes in workplaces, including outdoor areas such as restaurant patios. It says it is simply "clos[ing] a loophole" by "treat[ing] e-cigarettes like tobacco products." But since e-cigarettes do not contain any tobacco and do not generate smoke (merely a propylene glycol vapor containing nicotine), that is a puzzling way to characterize the decision. The official justification for banning smoking in workplaces is protecting employees and other bystanders from the toxins and carcinogens generated when tobacco is burned. Let's leave aside the questions of how dangerous secondhand smoke really is and whether the government has any business regulating it on private property. In the absence of evidence that e-cigarettes are a hazard to other people, what possible justification is there for treating them the same as conventional cigarettes?"

Complete article at:

[url]http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/02/boston-bans-e-cigarettes-in-workplaces-f

[/URL]

Tregs

Jul 29, 2011
New Jersey
this seems to be a growing trend. My state already has this though and I still have used my ecigs at all of my jobs and nobody cares. At one of my jobs half the crew uses ecigs inside and nobody cares. Its one of those things that are never enforced and people just don't care because even the hardcore anti-smokers at my jobs have enough sense to realize that vapor does not smell like smoke.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
They view it as a way to "cheat" the system. They are offended by people actually enjoying an activity that looks so closely like something they disapprove of (smoking) so they get on their little power trip and squash the activity before it can be accepted.

Petty and unhappy bureaucrats who cannot stand to see others doing something they don't understand and enjoy themselves. Scum of the pond in my opinion.

Jag :vapor:

Snus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Massachusetts
Crazy stuff! They are even banning smoking inside your apartment. The guy at the tobacco store said they are going to ban smoking in ALL multi-family housing units in the entire state!!!!! Also, the other day there was an article in the newspaper about how children are exposed to second-hand smoke in automobiles. That will probably be banned, too. They already took the ashtrays out of cars as it is!

SuperSonic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
U.S.A.
I would venture to guess, and I genuinely believe that there is no guesswork in play here, that these hoof tapping, bucked tooth baring, ...... wearing, eeee aaawwwww speaking, mentally deficient excuses for stand in humans spend Thursday evenings and all day Sunday all sitting around a three legged table, chairs flipped upsidedown discussing all sorts of moranic ways to honk off Joe & Joan Taxpayer. Most likely sucking on their 35cent cigars (not excluding the women of this fine bunch of paper machete people with their pinyata personalities) while chuggin' on that cheap grocery store 3 day old aged wine.

Either they just haven't been able to gather the means to extort the good citizen in a new light (vaping) or their lives are just that misserable that they can't bear to see anyone else enjoying their lives.

More and more it's starting to reik of an older version European country pre WWII around here...

Sent from my Samsung "SuperSonic" Tablet ... utilizing Tapatalk

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
That's just weird when local government feels the need to regulate private businesses.

Especially since IL's tobacco smoke in "public" places ban meant that if I had a retail store I would have to get up from my bench and walk 15 feet away from my door to have a cigarette.
I think that poses some kind of security risk since the business is jewelry.
What was I supposed to do, call a cop to stand guard over me and the store every half hour (because once outside I could no longer have a gun to protect myself)?
Is it really that big of a problem to allow PRIVATE businesses to decide whether something would be good or bad for their own business?

I cannot figure out how these completely self-centered myopic people keep getting elected.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Ignorance leading to policy...that's a horrible trend our government is on lately.
I talked to a cigar store owner last night- he told me that he hoped that the FDA would ban cigarettes as well as my e-cig (I was vaping) because both cause cancer. I told him that what I was using wasn't the same as cigarettes and he said, "Haven't you read the studies- what you have is just as bad." I told him I know differently and I would love to send him some studies concerning e-cigs but he said he didn't want them- "I've already read them all- I've looked into it." I just had to turn and walk away before I got into it with him. I still have "friends" ask me when I'm going to "really stop smoking." This is after I have tried to educate them the best I could. It looks like smoke so it must be the same thing- Some folks never get it- they don't want to. Governments are no different and they'll keep at it out of ignorance and ignorance by choice.

sethkal

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
New Jersey
hopefully one day someone will create a phenomenal documentary about how e-cig's are actually 100000000x better for you then analogs and there should be 0 rules preventing them, they have been banned in jersey for a very long time (child smoking act laws or something), anything applied to analog cigarettes apply to e-cigs. I don't understand, but who will?!?

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
Amazing. It might be necessary to legislate ecigs, but it needs to be done with science and dilligence. This otoh is as strange as other "lifestyle" laws (like Blue Laws). If they're going to do this, they might as well just give up having self respect, go full on stupid, and make random laws about anything. It doesn't seem like any facts matter. Just "emotions". Great way to run a country.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Ignorance leading to policy...that's a horrible trend our government is on lately.
I talked to a cigar store owner last night- he told me that he hoped that the FDA would ban cigarettes as well as my e-cig (I was vaping) because both cause cancer. I told him that what I was using wasn't the same as cigarettes and he said, "Haven't you read the studies- what you have is just as bad." I told him I know differently and I would love to send him some studies concerning e-cigs but he said he didn't want them- "I've already read them all- I've looked into it." I just had to turn and walk away before I got into it with him. I still have "friends" ask me when I'm going to "really stop smoking." This is after I have tried to educate them the best I could. It looks like smoke so it must be the same thing- Some folks never get it- they don't want to. Governments are no different and they'll keep at it out of ignorance and ignorance by choice.

Nobody is more difficult to educate than a guy who already knows it all.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Nobody is more difficult to educate than a guy who already knows it all.
Oh, and he was touting how much the cigars he was selling were better for you, "because most people don't inhale." Anyway, I just walked away...you can't talk to those who are closed minded- or like you said, who have their mind made up.

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
Amazing. It might be necessary to legislate ecigs, but it needs to be done with science and dilligence.

Why? No disrespect intended, but why? I only know of one person harmed by ecigs, and we don't know what happened to cause his batteries to explode. In the absence of any evidence of ecigs harming anyone, I really would like to know why it might be necessary to legislate them.

I'd rather error on the side of freedom and the potential for harm, then the over reaching government and nanny state-ism controlling our every move to keep us safe. Until there is science stating vaping is harmful to other people, not just the individual using it, I will defer to freedom of choice.

Jag :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread