proposed ban in boston ma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffadder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2011
Punta Gorda Belize / NJ
Well... depends. Federal elections have extreme restrictions around the amount of money that can can be contributed to a campaign. Any money changing hands outside of a campaign contribution falls into the category of bribery. Claims of "major corporate funding" and the like are almost always pure conjecture. The risks are too great. ..... rolls uphill in federal indictments. :) Individuals and unprosecutable foreign investors are far more likely to assume such a responsibility, and they have no real reason to believe they'll be caught.

This is one of the areas where the Fed actually has it better than their local counterparts. Local governments, particularly un-elected bodies such as a city Public Health Commision, tend to have rich friends.

Whatever you are vaping I want some. Ever since SCOTUS granted the corps personhood most of what you are saying went out the window. Super PAC's don't have to disclose their private donors and since corps are now citizens they are included in the anonymous. Even before that who do you think was backing these foreign contributors? I'll give you a hint...the same ones that are sending the jobs overseas.

juxt4p0z

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2011
Sunny Florida (DANG it's hot)
I'm sweating it out in Afghanistan right now apparently defending freedom and I keep reading garbage legislation like this.

Thank you so much for your service! Too many don't know what it means to sacrifice for freedom. May God bless you and keep you, and send you home safe!

dragonlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
chicopee ma
Anyone have a link to the full text of this proposed ban? I think we definitely need to organize some form of protest about this.

I couldn't find the full text but I did find this:

A public hearing on the proposed regulation is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 4, in the Hayes Conference Room on the second floor of commission’s offices at 1010 Massachusetts Ave. Written comments are being accepted by the commission from Sunday, Sept. 11, through Oct. 10. They can be sent to the Boston Public Health Commission, Board Office, Attention: Jamie Martin, Board Secretary, 1010 Massachusetts Ave., 6th floor, Boston, MA 02118, or e-mailed to boardofhealth@bphc.org.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
But the folk on the street don't get paid with our tax dollars to implement asinine policies!
banghead.gif

No, my point is that people agree. Non-smokers don't think they're asinine policies. They don't smoke and don't want anyone to smoke around them. Period. The end. They see ecigs as a cigs.

Until we convert all smokers to vapors this is going to be an issue.

Red Dog

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Massachusetts
www.facebook.com
I couldn't find the full text but I did find this:

A public hearing on the proposed regulation is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 4, in the Hayes Conference Room on the second floor of commission’s offices at 1010 Massachusetts Ave. Written comments are being accepted by the commission from Sunday, Sept. 11, through Oct. 10. They can be sent to the Boston Public Health Commission, Board Office, Attention: Jamie Martin, Board Secretary, 1010 Massachusetts Ave., 6th floor, Boston, MA 02118, or e-mailed to boardofhealth@bphc.org.

Here's changes proposed by the BPHC:
http://www.bphc.org/boardofhealth/r...ce Smoking Restrictions Regulation, Draft.pdf
http://www.bphc.org/boardofhealth/r...Amended Tobacco Control Regulation, Draft.pdf

Here's a few pertinent excerpts:

BPHC said:
WHEREAS, e-cigarettes and their use in the workplace seriously compromise current laws and regulations governing indoor smoking bans and have the potential to undermine the positive health and behavioral impacts associated therewith;

BPHC said:
WHEREAS, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has conducted laboratory tests that found e-cigarettes contain toxic chemicals and carcinogens; and the health effects of involuntary exposure to e-cigarette vapors containing these chemicals and carcinogens is unknown;
BPHC said:
The use of an e-cigarette is prohibited in a workplace. This includes all work spaces, common work areas, auditoriums, classrooms, conference and meeting rooms, private
offices, elevators, hallways, medical facilities, cafeterias, employee
lounges, staircases, restrooms, patios, decks, yards and loading docks.

They basically are saying that e-cigs are the same as smoking, and are equally dangerous to the public. This will make e-cigs fall under the smoking bans already in effect.
Clearly, we need to take some form of action here before it's too late. If it passes, others in the state will follow. It will be much harder to get it repealed than it will be to stop it before hand. I have no idea how to organize any way to stop this, but I'm certainly willing to do what's needed if someone can organize it.

Last edited:

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
I hate this type of anti choice legislation with every fiber of my being. I'm sweating it out in Afghanistan right now apparently defending freedom and I keep reading garbage legislation like this.

As much as I hate our government's use of the military, I do appreciate the work that you and your fellow soldiers do. Thank you. I know that I couldn't do it.

As far as legislation goes, the sad truth is that controlling people will always want to find a way to stop people from having their own fun, if it's not what they consider fun. I think we would have stood a better chance if we had the attitude of hatred for the ecigs. "OK, you wanted me to stop smoking for your sake. I did. I'm now doing something in place, that poses no risk for you, but I can't stand it. I'm bending over backwards for you. Now leave me alone in this retched excuse for an alternative."

Nunnster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No it's all free... The actual problem I think is the holier than though mindset of these people that just know for a fact that they are wiser than the "common man". I for one am sick and tired of having to walk on eggshells in the "land of the free" especially regarding something that doesn't affect anyone but me.
I hate this type of anti choice legislation with every fiber of my being. I'm sweating it out in Afghanistan right now apparently defending freedom and I keep reading garbage legislation like this.

I feel your pain. I would read stuff like this while over sea's and loose my mind. I would ....h and moan to my PGS, 1SG, LT, CO and anyone I could find about asinine stuff like this. I hate how much control people had on me in the army. Now that I am a CIV I hate how the same amount of control is trying to be imposed on me by the govt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread