Blood levels of nicotine - measurements and how to

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Have been wondering if there might be a blood test for absorbed nicotine levels, perhaps using a simple pin ..... as with those cholesterol test kits. Seems there is indeed, and quite cheap (just came across these links, which are well worth a read) :

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/24062-home-test-nicotine-blood-levels.html

On the aborbed (blood) nic levels :

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/30623-blood-test-lab-results-nicotine-levels.html

Some real blood test numbers therein.

So we have many people successully off analogs although the nic in the blood is a lot lower than for a smoker (suggesting a large behavioural/psychological aspect*). And many others for whom high strength nic vaping is required (to get near analog levels). And some more for whom even that leaves something missing (likely MAOIs, and perhaps others).

Summarising a little now, we know now that about 45% of the nicotine in e-liquid makes it into the vapor** (more efficient in fact than the unchanged release from analogs, but far short of the perfect conversion that had been assumed; this raises some concerns about what happens to the rest and shows that vaporisation, in air, is far from a simple boiling). It will not all be cotinine.

Probably because the nicotine is mostly in a liquid carrier by the time it reaches the body, the rate of absorption seems to be much slower (that's my long-held theory anyway); possibly there is greater further loss, perhaps by exhalation, than with analogs.

Interestingly, cotinine levels are relatively high with vaping, despite the higher freebase nature of nic in e-cig vapor. The advatgae is lost by the carrier; not only can the nic in glycol condensate not be so readily absorbed, but is also more likely to be deposited in the mouth and throat than in the lungs (owing to larger particle size). Both oral enzymes (and gastro-intestinal ones too, as some of the nic laden glycol is swallowed), combined with the slower absorption, would allow greater conversion of nicotine to cotinine (eesentially an oxidation reaction). Thanks to Kurt for that insight (in this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/30361-mao-inhibitors.html - another good read).

Having blood figures (over time to see the cumulative values) will fill-in another part of the picture tracing the nicotine from e-liquid to blood. The most important matter is filling in the understanding of what happens to the nicotine 'lost' in the atomiser, because this is no trivial amount, and what health implications there might be; at the least, we need to be in the know.

~~

* Behavioural aspects are not 'all in the mind'; there are 'real' physiological changes activated by activities and sensations that have become associated with past pleasures. In a former-smoker who quickly changes to zero nic, there will be some dopamine release just by the activity of handling the e-cig, blowing out the vapor, etc. This is surly part of the e-cig's ability to succeed as a smoking replacement.

** Back in the spring, at the height of the 'elephant in the room' thread, I had begun to wonder about this possibility, and looking at the blood level data made me feel that loss in the atomiser would be part of the answer. But even I was surprised that it was so great a loss.

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Thanks for the shout out, kin! I have had an idea as to how we might be able to get info on the oral vs lung issue, and the possibly different metabolism outcomes.

We do the same nic/cot test when using a nic lozenge. This way we have a 100% oral and calibrated reference. They come in 2 mg and 4 mg strengths. This will tell us, based on a calibrated standard, how much nic gets to the blood stream and how much get converted to cotinine. There is another thread about nic tests I bumped up today, basically proposing the same thing.

I consider this important, so perhaps those that still have their testing supplies and have done the vape and analog thing, they could do the test with the lozenge.

It is also possible that some people when vaping have saliva that has more enzymes to oxidize nicotine than others. Perhaps, since cotinine is considered less psychoactive than nic, they need to vape much more to get craving relief. Others, that have less in their saliva essentially keep all their nic as such, and thus need less vaping to get relief.

This is similar in spirit to some having more amylase in their mouths, thus having saliva that breaks down starches more easily than others that do not have as much amylase.

I bring this up because it seems most of us had similar analog habits (1-2 packs a day), and some need 36 mg juice to feel ok, and some need 8 mg juice, or less.

I am also thinking about the difference in vapor particle (droplet) size for VG vs PG vs added PG with ethanol (largest to smallest). I must admit, I have gravitated to VG for the taste (actually the lack there of), and the thick vapor, but since a solute dissolved in a larger liquid vapor particle will be released less than in a smaller particle, there may be different test results for the same person, same vaping, same nic concentration, but different juice bases.

And, pre-emptively, given the nasty interactions in other threads discussing the testing of nic levels, if you think these inquiries are a waste of time and silly, just walk away and you won't get hurt. This is how science is done. Understanding these details is totally to our advantage, both personally and in the image we want to display for those in higher places that would destroy us.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Yes, varying enzyme levels makes sense as a factor to account for varying efficacy, along with depth of inhale and hold time, among others.

The nic lozenge to create an orally absorbed control is a nice idea. That gave me the idea of perhaps using 'stealth juice' as a comparison, as that would presumably have a different particle size (or no particle size? - perhaps just too small to see); so it would give some idea of the weight to be attributed to this factor. I'm guessing stealth juice is ethanol/water carrier, not sure.

ps: regarding the nic loss - it's half that lost by smoking, so perhaps no real surprise, although in that case one imagines that nic salts are kind of trapped in a mesh of cellulose etc. In any case, we have a figure for the loss now (though it could vary somewhat, influenced by a variety of factors concerning the atty and the liquid composition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread