Bipolar disorder. My story, smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
I have to talk. I've been treated for depression for 30 years. Ten years ago I had a meltdown at work, went home and called my psychiatrist and her office manager said come, now! I saw my doc and she wrote a note to work that I needed 2-4 months off. She told me to go home, rest, and get 15 minutes of sunlight a day.

Two days later I opened my door to go outside and saw opportunities to fix this rental property weedy, ten year neglected yard. I didn't know it but I was full blown manic For 30 days I felt better than a mountain of ....... could never touch. I would have worked an 18 year old athlete till they gave up. I spent money like a kid in a candy store. I hauled huge limestone rock from a creek out back for landscaping. I know nothing about carpentry but built a small porch. I talked fast when asking two neighbors if I could detail their cars. I told one, half my age, that she had a great .... This is why mania can get you in trouble.

My neighbor, leaning on a shovel in his worse off yard said he saw me and it inspired him. He said he had to go do some stuff and would be back around 4, it was 10 a.m. I said hey man I love this weedeater can I work on your yard? Well, OK. When he got home his yard looked like a putting green at Pebble Beach. We became friends. Until his girlfriend told me I didn't know that he was the best guitar slinger in Austin(I'm a drummer).

For 30 days I was one of those people we meet in life that have this special spark that attracts curiosity and admiration. I was hitting on all cylinders and then some.

What goes up must come down. A thirty day bottomless pit of despair followed. If I only had a stale small package of crackers to eat I might survive two days on them because I hadn't taken a shower in three weeks and getting to a store was impossible. So, I was on first name basis with pizza delivery people.

95% of people with bipolar deal with depression 95% of the time and the rest, mania. Some suffer almost exclusively mania. Mania progresses, my fun mania left untreated could morph into psychotic mania. One out of 5 people who are bipolar commit suicide. It's the worst mental illness in this regard. Some people say one in four.

My brother and I were close, he died of lung cancer a year and a half ago. I know the process. Two months later I was part of a layoff at a job I had been at for ten years, seven to go to retire. It was too much because stress is my worst enemy. I haven't worked or looked for work, it's too much. At the urging of my doc, therapist, and several close friends with mental illness, I filed for disability. In my wildest dreams I never thought I would do. If this process drags out too long I'll be homeless.

I didn't ask for this disorder and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I like adding things up so in the last 30 years I think I've taken 80 medications adding up to 30,000 pills. I don't totally rely on big pharma but they own me anyway.

In the midst of this madness sometimes sleeping 16 hours a day I quit smoking with an e cig. I feel hope. I did good. My best friend of thirty years, when he hears me moaning about life always tries to put a fresh coat of paint on the sh$thouse. We were talking on the phone and I said, R, I can't do this. He encouraged me. I said no listen ....... it, I can't do this! His voice changed. He said Phil, after seeing what you've been through the last three and a half years, I don't think I would have made it.

If you have a friend or loved one with mental illness, learn all you can. Support them unconditionally. Realize that they aren't crazy, lazy, shouldn't take those pills or it's all in their mind. If they would just ___________ they wouldn't have those problems. If they improve gently nudge them to maybe go outside, take a walk, see a friend. If they are ready they will.

If I lose an arm in an accident people come running to help. If I have heart surgery visitors come to see me. When I was in a locked psych ward for an attempted suicide, nobody called, nobody has ever asked, what was it like. What do we hear? Your psychiatrist is just taking your money, get off those pills, you don't seem bipolar to me. You just need to ____________. Works for me every time.

I'm not a bipolar person, I'm a person who happens to have bipolar disorder. We are good at hiding our illness. If I met you on the street today you wouldn't have a clue.

I have a blog and could write this there but my job in life is to tell this story so people that don't know may get a better idea from my story. I am so proud of quitting smoking but it pales in comparison to getting slammed hundreds of times over the years and somehow managing another day of dreaming of being 28 again, before this journey began.

If you've read this highly personal novel, thanks. Almost everyone knows someone that's bipolar. If you weren't sure exactly what that was, I hope this helps. Now I must clean my vivi nova.
zzphil.jpg

Bael2212

Jul 11, 2012
Vermont
My Bi-polar drove away my friends and left me almost entirely alone the only person who bothers to care about me any more is my loving girlfriend, to whom i hope to one day get married. I also suffer from anxiety problems, though I have not seen a doctor about them I often times have panic attacks when I am left alone for to long they range in severity but the worst ones get so bad that i often times find my self trying not to vomit. I am sorry if that was rather graphic but its the truth its my reality its what i deal with every day.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I've also been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

I seem to be evening out the past few years though, and for that I am grateful.

Your story is a succinct summary of the wreckage of my 20s, and you're right. What would the world be like if we were as dismissive of broken bones and organ failure as we are of emotional and mental disorders?

Doesn't matter though, what the unwashed, hormonally balanced and never-suffered-anything-more-traumatic-than-a-bad-hair-day masses believe.

And on TOP OF THAT, the crushing despair that makes it hard to muster the gumption to open our eyes some mornings, we have managed to quit smoking. How many of those "oh you're just lazy, oh meds are cheating" people manage that?

You and me, baby. We're hanging in there.

BHam

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.vapor4life.com
Thanks for sharing your story. It was a change of pace from what we normally get to read here. Your story was moving and helpful for me because my mother struggles with depression and anxiety disorders and sometimes it's hard because I just don't know what to do to help but I like your message of just being there and not abandoning those you love. I just called her and were going to dinner later this week so I can reaffirm that I'm always there for her. Thanks!

candimccann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
Lenexa, KS, US
www.youtube.com
Hi, my name is Candi (hi candi) .....

In my worst/best manic episode I built a corner bookcase headboard for my bed with no plans and nothing but a dremel tool and a hammer (and zero previous woodworking experience), started a ridiculous amount of crafts/hobbies, and knew every 24-hour store in a 20 mile radius cuz when I thought of something I needed it RIGHT NOW. The crash meant personal hygiene was on vacation, grocery shopping didn't happen, bills got paid late, and I slept 18 hours a day. Not to mention the chain-smoking that is the natural state of the manic and the depressed. I always said that smoking was a much slower killer than suicide, so quit hassling me.

I never thought I would quit. And then I discovered e-cigs.

I like to remind myself that most bipolar people are highly intelligent and very creative. So here's to us!

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm thankful that my bipolar disorder is under control right now with the meds I'm on. I'm glad you posted to show that those of us that struggle and thrive and live with this disorder are regular people just like everyone else. I usually have mixed states, being manic and depressed at the same time, which is harder to treat. It makes the depression that much worse because the obsessiveness of the manic side makes you obsess of every negative aspect that exists in life. Unfortunately, my 11 y/o daughter has BP as well (thanks, Mom, right?) Keep up the positive attitude and know you are not alone.

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Your story brought tears to my eyes. I, too, am a person with bi-polar disorder, among other mental issues. My only remaining family is my father who wants me to "just get over it". If not for a beautiful friend i wouldnt be here today. Thank you for sharing your journey.

I was hypomanic one day and called my older brother talking 100 miles an hour. He has a temper and said you're the one that knows everything about that what are calling me for. I hung up. In group therapy the next day I told the story. The therapist said, so your brother is on the computer 12 hours a day and he's taken no time to read and understand your disease. I thought, wow, this lady is sharp. lol

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm thankful that my bipolar disorder is under control right now with the meds I'm on. I'm glad you posted to show that those of us that struggle and thrive and live with this disorder are regular people just like everyone else. I usually have mixed states, being manic and depressed at the same time, which is harder to treat. It makes the depression that much worse because the obsessiveness of the manic side makes you obsess of every negative aspect that exists in life. Unfortunately, my 11 y/o daughter has BP as well (thanks, Mom, right?) Keep up the positive attitude and know you are not alone.

Suicides almost always happen when someone with bipolar is having a mixed states episode. Very dangerous time.

tlmoody27

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Middle of No Where, GA
Suicides almost always happen when someone with bipolar is having a mixed states episode. Very dangerous time.

You are very right. I keep a tight check on my moods and can usually tell when I'm sliding into a funk. I'm the first to call the doctor and say something isn't working. I can't afford to not take care of myself as I am a mother and both of my kids have special needs and I have to be able to function for them. I have a very understanding and supportive husband that is a godsend so that helps too.:)

Smoot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Reno, NV
Thank you for opening up like that, courageous at best.
I was diagnosed with depression in my mid-late 20's...My wife at the time couldn't "understand" and was not "able" to support and or help me through it......I withdrew from just about everything including her.
I'm now 42, divorced, single for way too long and watching my 17 daughter go through all my pains and that has to kill me inside the most.
You want to give the very best for your children, not curse them with this!!! Its' Not fair...
I do have to say that since I quit smoking my mood swings seem to have been far and few between. Another benefit.

Thank you for starting this, very few have heard or even know of "my story"............Feels good to just be able to type it out.

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Candi we could team up and start a if you need it we'll figure out how to do it business.

Twenty minutes after I posted this I though maybe that was a bit impulsive. Really no need to tell my life story but then look how many people deal with this. Say there are 5000 active members here(guessing)that means approximately 100 of them are bipolar.
It's not all negative and many people say they would rather have it than let it go. It's given me empathy for everyone and a keen eye for someone that's having mental issues. I run to people that are suffering from whatever, not the other way.
And the psych ward, didn't want to leave. It was more like a college dorm except we weren't that crazy. Plus their air conditioning rocked. One morning I was having breakfast with three ladies, all had schizophrenia. We talked about our pets and two of them had gardens that sounded awesome. There was a tenured professor from a major university here. No quite Jack Nicholson getting forced ECT without sedatives and muscle relaxants.
So, it ain't the disease that's hurts the most, it's the stigma. It's people you thought were friends for years saying, oh my cousin has that, whatever. <Yes, word for word.
Anyway I appreciate everyone's responses and if anyone wants to talk just pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread