Best cigalike or a comparison site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

econofast

Jul 29, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi all! I've been lurking for about a week and thought I'd finally come out of the shadows. First the standard back-story:

I was a pack-a-day smoker on average for about 10 years. Got a Blu kit less than two weeks ago and haven't bought a pack of analogs since. Yes, I've bummed a few off of friends, but so few I can count - 10. My last burner was 3 days ago. I'm psyched.

So some of you more veteran vapers know what's next - the Blu. Where to go from here? I've already refilled the cartos a few times (I highly recommend giving it a shot if you're still on Blu's or the like - much better flavors and more vapor), and I really like the refillable idea.

I know that mechanicals (what I like to call the Sonic Screwdrivers) are the most popular thing here, but I really do like the form factor of the Blu - the rechargable PCC, having a variety of flavors, and most of all the basic cigarette shape. The Blu's just have an inconsistent quality and low vapor, from what I have read.

What's a good upgrade? The joyetech 510 looks really popular. Anyone care to compare and contrast?

Which leads me to the "comparison site" part of my subject.
I'd love to see (or am willing to build if it doesn't exist) a site that clearly spells out the different types/brands/mods out there - what gear is compatible with what, etc. It would be great to be able to run a "wizard" (showing my age) to find the product that's right for you. You know, check off what you're looking for - battery life, portability, local access to parts, whatever. But that's a different story if one doesn't exist already.

So, my two questions:
1. What's a "good version" of the Blu kit?
2. Any interest in that kind of site, or more hopefully - does one already exist?

SO glad I finally got into e-cigs.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I just told my daughter to stick with eRoll and that shed save herself a lot of time and money. I use 50 percent if the time and of course I have had provari, egos with clearos, Pyrex tanks with cartos and drippers, rbas and 5 volt ,VV ,VW and so on I don't have a link to comparison but I posted to say the same thing to anybody new who likes cig a like and works two jobs like my daughter and just doesn't have time nor a ton of extra money.

Last edited:

lissa5168

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
East TN
I really love my Smokeless Image Volt kit that I started with. So much so that, even though I've moved up to larger things, I still carry and use my Volts regularly. Wouldn't be without them! My hubby laughs at me because I told him if one of my Volt batteries ever die, I WILL replace it despite owning mods, lol.

econofast

Jul 29, 2013
Boston, MA
I have definitely been thinking seriously about both the eRoll and the Volt. Let's get into nuts and bolts a bit:

The case: It looks like the Volt doesn't have a case - everything is just loose. The main reason I started on the Blu is the convenience of having my current e-cig, a charged (or charging) backup battery, and a few flavor options. The eRoll has a pretty case and room for a spare, but not cartos. Is that correct?

Refillability: Possible? It appears that the eRoll is refillable, but not the volt? Does the eRoll use standard 510 carts? This is where I get totally lost!

Thanks for the help!

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
econofast, If you are bound and determined to stick with a device that looks like a normal cigarette, PLEASE research the Volt from Smokless Image. Their products, customer service and prices are among the very best. That is not to say that certain specific items don't have problems, but if you read the Smokless Image Forum posts you will quickly see the best vape items. Their 78s look just like normal cigs, however if you start vaping a lot, the charge will not last you all day and here in lies the problem with these small devices. Almost everyone on the forums started here and within months quickly moved up the ladder to Spinners and Vamos or EVics and then to mechanicals or Provari. Your choice my friend, but you can move up with Smokless Image products. The only disadvantage to the Smokless Image line is that it uses an 808 connection, not the 510 standard.

Best Wishes
Wabbit

WakingVirtue

Jul 26, 2013
WI
I have not used the Smokeless Image cigalikes but I can tell you that the Halo G6 cigalikes are very good. I use both the cartos and the mini tanks for the Halo G6. Both flavor and vapor are awesome not the mention the price tag is quite resonable. I like the smaller form factor as well so I usually bring my G6 along in my pocket for short trips out. I did although purchase an innoking iTaste VV 3.0 which is bigger than the cigalikes obviously but not as big as Provari or Vamo.

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
You will get a ton of different opinions on the best cigalike. I personally would recommend the eRoll. Between the lightweight size and the awesome slim pcc, it's the best option in my opinion. It's regulated to 3.7 volts, it uses the ego-c atomizers, and you get a great hit every time. It is refillable, and comes with little mini tanks. They don't hold much, but are easy to refill. And no cartos, which is a good thing for me because I hate the way carto filler tastes.

If you were looking at the Volt/Bloog/G6 or the Joye 510, I would recommend you go with one of the former. I started on the Joye 510 and loved it, and it does allow a lot of options with a 510 connection, but the performance is subpar. Most of the 510 don't operate at 3.7 volts and it gives disappointing vapor and throat hit.

Read around the forums, and definitely check out the eRoll subforum. And good luck with whatever you choose!

ckmeyers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
Mojave Desert, CA
cmfractals.com
Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to run my Blu into the ground for the time being (just got some cartos from Jet cigs, and they are a nice step up from the Blu brand - at a much nicer price).

I have noticed the occasional cotton filler taste, which does ruin a puff. How does the eRoll work without filler?

I have both an Eroll and Halo G6 batteries. The best way to decide which would work best for you is to go to YouTube and search for reviews of the Eroll, and the Halo G6 e-cigs. You also might want to take a look at the Elite 808.

econofast

Jul 29, 2013
Boston, MA
Jumping back in after researching every single damn thing on the market. :p
I now find myself torn between the eRoll and just biting the bullet and getting something bigger. I feel lazy for not digging around enough to figure this out, but there's just SO much info, and so many products. Apologies if I'm asking something that has been covered a million times - please point me in the right place if so.

Regarding mini/cigalikes:
First of all, I gotta give props to the Jet cartos used on a Blu. If the Blu unit came with these, I think their brand image would improve significantly. Better draws, no weird whistling/hissing sound when you inhale, and they seem to last longer, though that might be mental, due to enjoying them more.
So... The main problem with the blu is battery life - not so much length as diminishing returns - the first draw is great, but by the time the light starts flashing to recharge, you've had 5-10 draws that are just pathetic - making you think you're out of juice. I've seen talk of "regulated voltage" or something like that - does that mean that you don't get these crappier draws as the battery dies? Does the eRoll have that feature? What is the keyword I should be looking at to find out?

And on the other end of the spectrum, the bigguns. I know that most of you have started in a place like me and waded your way through a sea of hardware until you found the perfect thing. I'd like to skip at least a few of those "intermediate" models if there's something that's generally seen as the best (or 5 best) model(s).

I realize I'm basically walking up to Castle Anthrax and expecting to be handed the holy grail, so I expect the spanking. But I'd love to hear, what are a few of those "in between" models that you wish you has just skipped over (and why?), and what did you step up to from them?

Thanks again!

Feisty

Aug 23, 2013
Illinois
econo,

Thanks for asking these questions. I'm fairly new to e-cigs as well (2 months out) and I never knew there were SO many choices out there. I would like to avoid the "in between" choices also and just find one that I am very happy with. I use eversmoke e-cigs but I'm always up for changing that if there is something better out there.

I do find myself vaping so much more than I did smoking but I think that's because of it's convenience. I can vape in the house now instead of going out to the garage, etc. So I'm thinking some other type of setup would be better for me since I never let the thing out of my hand! :)

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
econofast, If you are bound and determined to stick with a device that looks like a normal cigarette, PLEASE research the Volt from Smokless Image. Their products, customer service and prices are among the very best. That is not to say that certain specific items don't have problems, but if you read the Smokless Image Forum posts you will quickly see the best vape items. Their 78s look just like normal cigs, however if you start vaping a lot, the charge will not last you all day and here in lies the problem with these small devices. Almost everyone on the forums started here and within months quickly moved up the ladder to Spinners and Vamos or EVics and then to mechanicals or Provari. Your choice my friend, but you can move up with Smokless Image products. The only disadvantage to the Smokless Image line is that it uses an 808 connection, not the 510 standard.

Best Wishes
Wabbit

+1

I agree but I'd really consider not going down the "look like cigarette road". I'd be lying if I said 4 years ago I didn't travel down it but after a lot of disappointment and hundreds of bucks I now know if one is committed to vaping then a hi-end mod is better and cheaper in the long run. :2c:

flowerpots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
my desk
In general, the upgrade ladder goes like this:

- cigalike batteries (which can be difficult because their charge does not last long and the threads are different, making them incompatible with top upgrades - dual coil cartomizers, bottom coil or top coil clearomizers, atomizers, or tanks)

- eGo type batteries that come in 650 mAh, 900 mAh, 1100 mAh, or 1300 mAh, in general. These are about 2-3 times the size of a cigalike battery, but last longer and offer more flexibility as most of them are 510 threaded and so offer more flexibility with tops that you put your juice in

- VV or variable voltage devices such as the Vision Spinner, eGo Twist, or Winder. These offer a stronger vape with increased voltage and are also 510 threaded. There are newer options too in this category like the iTaste and Rider Robust, and some box mods

-VV and VW (variable wattage) devices such as the Vamo (low-end) and box mods like the iTaste MVP, and eVic or lambo, to a Provari which is a high-end model and dearly loved (and hated, apparently) by many

-mechanical mods, which I highly recommend you do not consider at this point

Last edited:

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
Newbie here. What I want is something that gets the job done with a minimum of nonsense. "KISS" principle. Started with an 808 kit. A lot of 808 material out there - but the 'name' brands, terminology, etc get so confusing. Moved up to a bigger (mah) 808 starter kit. All of my cartos, clearos, dripper atomizer work with the new (bigger) battery. Next upgrade will be to the Halo Trident VV (variable voltage) with more mah (longer lasting). My 'stuff' will still fit the new battery upgrade. Might end up sucking on something that looks like a paperback book or a Light Saber with rebuildable everything but for now what I have fits my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread