Be careful with your Pass through!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had any problems with my pass through and don't understand how a manual passthru stuck open(on). I could see this happening with a auto battery passthru.

I don't understand how a manual PT could stick on, either, but believe--it does happen.

Mine did that when I went to get a cup of coffee, so fortunately it was only unattended for about thirty seconds and didn't burn a hole in anything. When it got cool enough to take the atomizer off, I took the button off and put it back in, then stuck the atomizer on and plugged it in again. The atomizer immediately started sputtering and got red hot--hotter than it would when taking a drag.8-o

Sort of scared me off passthroughs, even though I loved them. Clever concept, but it needs some work.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
I haven't had any problems with my pass through and don't understand how a manual passthru stuck open(on). I could see this happening with a auto battery passthru.

The leads (wires) from the switch are pretty close together in those PTs. A shoddy solder job that burnt off too much insulation... I could see short happening. Even more likely if the PT was dropped or vigorously handled.

This is good to know and good to watch out for. Thanks for the heads up.

I got a manual 510 passthrough with inline battery. I absolutely love it! I don't leave mine plugged in unless I am vaping at the computer. I have noticed that it still works even after I unplug it from my PC, like the inline battery holds a charge. I took it over to the couch to watch some TV and it stayed working fine for a couple hours not plugged into anything. It would probably last longer than that, I dunno, I had gotten back on the PC and plugged it back in. This is just FYI.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
I have noticed that it still works after I unplug it from my PC, like the inline battery holds a charge. I took it over to the couch to watch some TV and it stayed working fine for a couple hours not plugged into anything.

A couple hours!? Nice - that's a real battery. How long is the PT?

I got a manual 510 passthrough with inline battery. I absolutely love it! I don't leave mine plugged in unless I am vaping at the computer. I have noticed that it still works even after I unplug it from my PC, like the inline battery holds a charge. I took it over to the couch to watch some TV and it stayed working fine for a couple hours not plugged into anything. It would probably last longer than that, I dunno, I had gotten back on the PC and plugged it back in. This is just FYI.

:DThat is longer than my 510 batteries last! I think I'll just try the PT.

A couple hours!? Nice - that's a real battery. How long is the PT?
The wire is about 3-4 feet (haven't measured, but I am 5'10 and it almost comes up to my chest when I am standing and the USB plug is touching the ground).

kcr said:
:DThat is longer than my 510 batteries last! I think I'll just try the PT.
My batts are lasting me about 6 hours or so per charge. Just for comparison, when I said 2 hours, that wasn't 2 hours of constant vaping, I only take about 6 vapes an hour or so.

argada

Jul 19, 2009

I have a sealed manual 801 usb passthrough. And run into the above problem all the time.

I consider the manual button to be more of a 'recommendation' to supply power, the thing will light up whenever the hell it wants. lol

My 501 passthrough with inline battery works well though, have it plugged in for over a month and no problems at all.

pmd

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Boston,MA
Thanks for all the info on the PT, I just started using one yesterday.
I was worried about hooking it to my computer so I just use a ipod usb/wall converter. It seems to work OK, and there is no LED so I would have to keep feeling for the heat if it were to 'stick' on.
The wires do seem a little flimsy. I will have to remember never to leave plugged in when I'm away from it. Glad you caught it in time. This worries me.

baby driver

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Sunny CA
www.myspace.com
I'd like to suggest getting a 110v to USB converter. I plug mine into the wall. If something goes wrong with the PT, you could blow out the USB port in the computer.

Just a suggestion

Cheers;
jd

This is a good USB wall charger plug. It outputs 1000 mah and I am using one right now. Still be careful, but it gets the cig off the computer port and can be used all over the house. Do not recommend using in the bedroom in light of this thread.

USB AC Power Adapter Wall Charger for iPod Nano Shuffle - eBay (item 250488994560 end time Sep-26-09 07:34:39 PDT)

I am not affiliated with the seller but have bought a few of these from HK sellers on eBay before.

Valerie

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Received my replacement 401 pass through 4-5 days ago. Same crap is happening. The 3rd day it failed to turn off twice, and had to be quickly disconnected. I have no doubt it will happen again, so now when using my pass through, I have to glance at the led after each puff to be sure it went out.

This is such BS. These things have about 1 amp going thru them yet the manufacturers build them like crap. How about some quality control.
I can only speak about the 401 pass throughs, but it's clearly obvious to anyone who has one, they are made very cheaply. :mad:

These are such a fire hazard it's scary. If you use one, and don't pay attention, or leave it plugged in when not in use, you are asking for problems.

The manufacturers need to get it together. I've seen quite a few people here spending $39.95 for a pass through from puresmoker. If you go to their site and look at the pass throughs, you can see the heavy duty wiring. It's obvious there is huge difference between those, and the UNSAFE GARBAGE that that is being sent to us from China.

Last edited:

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
Received my replacement 401 pass through 4-5 days ago. Same crap is happening. The 3rd day it failed to turn off twice, and had to be quickly disconnected. I have no doubt it will happen again, so now when using my pass through, I have to glance at the led after each puff to be sure it went out.

This is such BS. These things have about 1 amp going thru them yet the manufacturers build them like crap. How about some quality control.
I can only speak about the 401 pass throughs, but it's clearly obvious to anyone who has one, they are made very cheaply. :mad:

These are such a fire hazard it's scary. If you use one, and don't pay attention, or leave it plugged in when not in use, you are asking for problems.

The manufacturers need to get it together. I've seen quite a few people here spending $39.95 for a pass through from puresmoker. If you go to their site and look at the pass throughs, you can see the heavy duty wiring. It's obvious there is huge difference between those, and the UNSAFE GARBAGE that that is being sent to us from China.

Sorry to hear of your strife with your Passthru. My 401 PT is from China and I've never had an issue with it at all. Maybe the xtra $$ for PureSmoker's unit is worthwhile for you.

unknwn

Jul 7, 2009
I only have a 510 modelpassthrough with a battery. There are some design characteristics to take into consideration,

The battery is a 10440 UNprotected lithiom ion. This being said, I would reccommend AGAINST using it in a portable mode. It's just too easy to drain the battery below SAFE usable voltage. If that excessive drain occurs, you are toying with a 50/50 or worse chance of fire when the unit is subjected to recharge.
These AAA sized 10440 batteries are simply NOT available in protected versions yet. Be VERY careful with these. They are a fire.explosion hazard in the right circumstances.
As for the attys getting burning hot. The battery cases for these manual versions are not sealed. Because of this, juice can leak into the switch area and cause malfunction. Be careful.
Insist that any new battery and pass-through purchases are verified as the newest manufacter of sealed end batteries and pass-throughs. The design has been changed very recently because of this malfunctioning switch circumstance. It started with 901 and has since filtered to the 510. I don't know about others though.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Don't leave them plugged into a computer...don't use a computer to power them for that matter. ALWAYS use a wall wart as the power supply. If you walk away, either unplug it or unscrew the atty/carto from it. I leave mine plugged into the wall but all stuff gets removed. I don't leave any type of battery plugged in for that matter.

snarkypaws

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2010
USA
Another option to consider that I feel is safer is a mod with pt capabilities. You can get a Bartleby from Cybervex, a Hot Box from Ace Of Vapes, Janty stick, Boge Revolution, etc. for a very reasonable price. They're box mods with a usb port so you can vape while it charges. When you need to go mobile, just unplug. In effect, you're buying a mod and pt all in one. I have a BB, SB, and Bartleby, all with pt option and with stretegically placed 2 amp adapters all over my house and in my car. I never even have to worry about dead batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread