Be careful with your Pass through!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brialeeanna20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2009
texas, USA
I was always bad about leaving my pass through plugged into my computer. So the other day I was using it and had to go start dinner, so I just let it sit on my chair arm and went to fixed dinner. I came back a few min later and the atty was red hot and making a burn spot on my chair!!! It was a manual pass through but some how turned on and would not turn off!! Please please don’t not leave then plugged in and leave room!

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Had the same problem with the pass through for my 401. Luckily I was right there and caught it after about 30 seconds. I've only had it for less then a week so I notified the supplier and he told me to ship it back, and he will replace it.

Those things get really hot, really fast. After that 20-30 seconds I could barely pick up my PV so I just unplugged it. I guess that's one way to do a dry burn, if you have automatic batteries :rolleyes:

Danger Will Robinson.....Danger.
There is obviously a huge potential for fires if these things malfunction, so people need to be really careful and pay attention when using them.

This is not the first post I've read about problems with pass throughs, so maybe suppliers need to get on the manufacturers about quality control.

All it will take is one fire caused by a pass through, and the negative publicity will crucify the PV industry.

Ez

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Out of curiosity, what passthrough?

I have one, and I don't leave it hooked up (I take it with me in my "vaping bag", pc at home, laptop, pc at work.... usb everywhere), but once I get some parts in I'll be making a few of them. It sounds like these were cheaply made - maybe wanna give it a go at modding it up, and making on you know will be safer? Thats one reason I'm going to make the others I need for me (so I don't have to carry one :lol:)

Superstargoddess

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Had the same problem with the pass through for my 401. Luckily I was right there and caught it after about 30 seconds. I've only had it for less then a week so I notified the supplier and he told me to ship it back, and he will replace it.

Those things get really hot, really fast. After that 20-30 seconds I could barely pick up my PV so I just unplugged it. I guess that's one way to do a dry burn, if you have automatic batteries :rolleyes:

Danger Will Robinson.....Danger.
There is obviously a huge potential for fires if these things malfunction, so people need to be really careful and pay attention when using them.

This is not the first post I've read about problems with pass throughs, so maybe suppliers need to get on the manufacturers about quality control.

All it will take is one fire caused by a pass through, and the negative publicity will crucify the PV industry.

Ez

So are we basically saying that it's not a good idea to sit at the computer all day using your passthrough?

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
i am good !! i just wanted to let everyone know!! i still love them just dont leave them pluged in!!!!

I'd like to suggest getting a 110v to USB converter. I plug mine into the wall. If something goes wrong with the PT, you could blow out the USB port in the computer.

Just a suggestion

Cheers;
jd

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Same thing happened to my friend. It was because he laid it down next to the laptop's cooling fan exhaust. The fan blowing on it kept triggering it. Atty worked fine though after it cooled down a bit.

That's a bit different. Kind of a user error type of thing :rolleyes:
We are talking about actual defective products here. Which means if they were more main stream, like say, laptop chargers, or something like that, there would have been a recall. No doubt pass throughs are a great convenience to use and save your batteries. But if they are cheaply made, with no safeguards, they have the potential to start a fire, and pretty quickly I might add.

As for what happened to me.
I had been setting mine down on my desk right in front of me. There was no fan, no loud noises, nothing. I took a hit, put it down, and it just stayed lit, even after I put it down.
I went back to the internet, then I saw vapor out of the corner of my eye, and looked down to see it roasting. 8-o

I just ran into the same issue and had to send mine back to china!

:mad: 901 manual sealed passthrough stainless(no battery) orange/green led's with 8 second cut-off

They seemed to work fine (on/off/on/off/cutoff) UNTIL i connected an atomizer and tried to use it. After switched on they would NOT SHUT OFF untill unplugged!!! :evil: And sometimes the light wouldn't even be on, but it was still getting hot!

Bummer .. i really thought passthrough would be the BEST, and i got a manual button ON PURPOSE just so i could rest assured as long as i was not pressing the button the atomizer would not heat up. (Not true)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread