battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvamo

Apr 18, 2013
A, A
i am looking at 2 diff batteries & they r almost identical except for the max discharge current basically, heres the specs:

Cell type: Panasonic NCR18650PD
Size: 18mm (diameter) x 65mm (height)
Nominal Capacity: 2900mAh
Voltage Range: 2.5V 4, 2V
Max discharge current: 10A
Weight: 46g

Cell Type: Samsung SDI ICR18650-30A
Size: 18mm (diameter) x 65mm (height)
Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
Voltage Range: 2.75V-4, 3V
Max discharge current: 5A
Weight: 47g

which is the better battery? & whats the real diff between the 5A & 10A?

thanx

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Specification-wise, the Samsung battery has slightly better specs.

A battery's expected duration of usage between charges is expressed in mAh. 100 mAh is equal to 1 hour, so 3000 mAh will be approximately 30 hours in average use. 2900 mAh would be 29 hours, so the two batteries are very close in this respect.

Maximum current discharge is rated in amps. A battery that can provide higher amps is a more powerful battery. Here the Samsung shines over the Panny.

I'm a little confused by the stated voltage ranges between the two, I'll let the battery experts chime in on that one.

Both batteries appear to be good batteries and either should be a good choice. ICR means that they are "protected" batteries, for whatever that is worth. I prefer IMR batteries myself, which are safer chemistry and high drain, high output batteries.

newvamo

Apr 18, 2013
A, A
ok hello world, i just recently got a vamo v2 & i stupidly bought a li-ion 18650 3200mah p.o.s. on ebay for dirt cheap & the thing only works for a couple hrs before i got the lo v warning, so after reading a few of the posts here i figured it was the battery & that i should get a better quality battery.

hi baditude, i thought those were high drain imr batteries...lol...i thought read that the Panasonic NCR18650PD is the new & improved PANASONIC CGR18650CH HIGH DRAIN 10A Hybrid IMR Li-ion battery....or was that the other way around?...lol

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
ok hello world, i just recently got a vamo v2 & i stupidly bought a li-ion 18650 3200mah p.o.s. on ebay for dirt cheap & the thing only works for a couple hrs be4 i got the lo v warning, so i figured i would get a better quality battery.

hi baditude, i thought those were high drain imr batteries...lol...i thought read that the Panasonic NCR18650PD is the new & improved PANASONIC CGR18650CH HIGH DRAIN 10A Hybrid IMR Li-ion battery....or was that the other way around?...lol
My mistake (I think). I misread NCR or ICR (designation for protected batteries). I'm totally confused by the new hybrid batteries. I'll just leave it at that. At least I'll admit when I'm confused. :blink:

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
PANASONIC CGR18650CH HIGH DRAIN 10A Hybrid IMR Li-ion battery and AW IMR 18650 - 2000mAh are good high drain batteries.

Your Vamo should be good with either of them, but you won't need protected ones.

I think your Vamo with take IMR 18350 stacked batteries ... that might be your best bet for chain-vaping to get the full 10 yards out of it. They don't last all that long, but you get max. power. So you order 4 or 6 of them to keep the show going around the clock.

Last edited:

newvamo

Apr 18, 2013
A, A
Last edited:

jclifford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
salem nh
times 10? I think maybe you got unlucky!
I did the same thing with radio control helicopter batteries for the last 4 years. I would pay about $40 for a chinese battery pack. The american equivalent was $175 or so. cheapo chinese packs worked great.
quick question for you. Do you know that LI IO cells are shipped in a "storage" mode. They require a full charge prior to first use. also, I did dispose of the charger that came with the Vamo, bottom line pos. I used my heli charger for awhile until I got the Tenergy charger from Provape ($16.95, cheapest price around).

newvamo

Apr 18, 2013
A, A
times 10? I think maybe you got unlucky!
I did the same thing with radio control helicopter batteries for the last 4 years. I would pay about $40 for a chinese battery pack. The american equivalent was $175 or so. cheapo chinese packs worked great.
quick question for you. Do you know that LI IO cells are shipped in a "storage" mode. They require a full charge prior to first use. also, I did dispose of the charger that came with the Vamo, bottom line pos. I used my heli charger for awhile until I got the Tenergy charger from Provape ($16.95, cheapest price around).

i did charge it when i got it...i mean i let a buddy use it 1 nite in his ego t2 be4 i got my vamo, but i charged it before i tried using it. BUT the only charger i got is the 1 that more or less came with my vamo...this is a pic...is that the same cheap 1 your referring to? http://www.vaporbreak.com/109-661-thickbox_default/v6-wall-charger.jpg

Last edited:

jclifford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
salem nh
I believe it is. The charger that came with my vamo was the cheapest of the cheap. It destroyed the original vamo battery. I charged a couple of my ebay batteries on it. I could not get them to work. I checked the voltage. They were in the 5 volt range, much too high for a 3.7 v lithium cell, (lithiums should be 3.2 to 4.2). I discharged them by connecting to a small electric motor down to 3.8 volts and then re-charged them with my heli charger and then they worked perfectly in the vamo. I found it very interesting that the batteries voltage test was in the 5.0+ range but the amp capacity was nil. The heli charger added the amps at 4.2 volts to make the battery work. The Tenergy charger (came with a Provari) charges the batteries perfectly. Note: Tenergy is kind of a low end name in the radio control helicopter world, but as far as PVD chargers it seems to be the high end. go figure.
Last, the original equipment batteries in the Vamo and an Evic are the same cheapo generic batteries that I purchased on ebay. nice generic blue cover. I also use Walmart excedrin instead of the name brand, works the same and is a whole lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread