Vamo V3 cut out problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedaytripper

May 31, 2013
Nottingham
Hi everyone!

I have recently purchased a Vamo V3 from fast tech and have been having trouble vaping it at more than 3.5 - 3.6v.
I have tried a RDA (2.4 ohms) and a Kanger T3 (2.3 ohms) and got the same results.
Basically it cuts out at 3.6v (and sometimes as low as 3.2v, depending on whether the battery is fully charged). Does anyone know what could the problem be?
I haven't tried it with different batteries other than the trust fires I bought on Ebay. Here are the specifications from the listing and a couple of pictures:

WP_20131003_011.jpg

WP_20131003_012.jpg

2x Trustfire TF 1835
0 Protected 1200 mAh Lithium-Ion Cells Size : 18mm x 37mm Nominal Voltage : 3.7V Color : Black Red SilverCapacity : 1200 mAh Charging metod : 4.2V ~ 4.3V CC-CVDischarge Voltage : 2.75V (Average cut off) - Discharge ProtectionMax. Weight : 20 g max+ Button Top , High Energy density Low internal resistance , stable performance PTC - protect against over temperature and indirectly over current and will automatic resetCID or pressure valve, will disable the cell permanently if the pressure is to high in the cell (Can be due to over charge)PCB - With Built in Protection Board

Is it because the batteries are not high drain? Sorry for the nooby questions, this is my first mod.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
Agreed - the problem is the battery. When the voltage drops below 3.2 V the Vamo will turn off. Some of these cheap batteries are so hopeless they do indeed drop below 3.2 volts when they are under even a modest loads. I bought four Ultrafire "1200mAh" batteries just to try them. One was DOA, one was next to useless, one limped along for a month, that other I use in emergencies only but don't trust it. Even that one doesn't come within 800 mAh of the mythical figure of 1200mAh.

Get some decent 18650 IMR batteries, AW or Efest and your Vamo will work fine.

ETA: the reason we suggest 18650 batteries is because they have a built in safety factor. The maximum safe current is a function of the chemistry and the total mAh rating of the battery. IMR batteries are safer chemistry and generally have a maximum discharge rate of 5C, or 5 times the capacity. So, an IMR 2000 mAh battery with a 5C rating can discharge safely at up to 10 amps. As the cell ages the mAh rating will decrease, and so with the safe discharge limit.

The trustfire batteries you bought may only have a real capacity of 400mAh, and are ICR chemistry so maybe a safe discharge rate of 2C. That's 0.8 amp, hence the inability to deliver even 3.2 volts under load. ICR chemistry can fail with sudden flame and smoke if over stressed, except there's probably not enough energy in those particular batteries to do more than vent and melt the outer plastic covering (but personally I wouldn't bet my life on it).

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
That's a protected battery. It's going to work very poorly in the Vamo because the Vamo has protection circuitry built into the mod.

You want unprotected IMR batteries from a name brand like AW. The Panasonic CGR/CH are a good choice too.

Avoid any battery with the word "fire" in its name.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
That's a protected battery. It's going to work very poorly in the Vamo because the Vamo has protection circuitry built into the mod.

You want unprotected IMR batteries from a name brand like AW. The Panasonic CGR/CH are a good choice too.

Avoid any battery with the word "fire" in its name.

I beat you. Although I didn't catch that he was using protected batteries.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Oh and FWIW, I have never seen a reliable 18350 cell come in with a capacity greater than 800mAh.

There's only so much chemical goo you can pack into a cell of that size and since we know that IMR sacrifices capacity for safer chemistry over the ICR, batteries with ungodly capacity ratings tend to be among the least safe, chemistry wise.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Hi everyone!

I have recently purchased a Vamo V3 from fast tech and have been having trouble vaping it at more than 3.5 - 3.6v.
I have tried a RDA (2.4 ohms) and a Kanger T3 (2.3 ohms) and got the same results.
Basically it cuts out at 3.6v (and sometimes as low as 3.2v, depending on whether the battery is fully charged). Does anyone know what could the problem be?
I haven't tried it with different batteries other than the trust fires I bought on Ebay. Here are the specifications from the listing and a couple of pictures:

View attachment 257938

View attachment 257939

2x Trustfire TF 1835
0 Protected 1200 mAh Lithium-Ion Cells Size : 18mm x 37mm Nominal Voltage : 3.7V Color : Black Red SilverCapacity : 1200 mAh Charging metod : 4.2V ~ 4.3V CC-CVDischarge Voltage : 2.75V (Average cut off) - Discharge ProtectionMax. Weight : 20 g max+ Button Top , High Energy density Low internal resistance , stable performance PTC - protect against over temperature and indirectly over current and will automatic resetCID or pressure valve, will disable the cell permanently if the pressure is to high in the cell (Can be due to over charge)PCB - With Built in Protection Board

Is it because the batteries are not high drain? Sorry for the nooby questions, this is my first mod.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
There is a solution...I HIGHLY recommend against it! Post #2 here
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...05-yet-another-vamo-v3-thread-one-review.html

Buy some good batteries from RDT vapor
These are what I am rocking now...I can vape 2 days straight very hard, but I usually swap em out before they are dead (it makes the battery recharge cycles alot more!! aka they last 1000 charges vs 500)
Batteries : Efest IMR 18650 Flat Top

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Oh and FWIW, I have never seen a reliable 18350 cell come in with a capacity greater than 800mAh.

There's only so much chemical goo you can pack into a cell of that size and since we know that IMR sacrifices capacity for safer chemistry over the ICR, batteries with ungodly capacity ratings tend to be among the least safe, chemistry wise.

I just checked and my 18350s are 700mAh. They may come higher and I bought these because of a better price, I don't remember.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
I beat you. Although I didn't catch that he was using protected batteries.

beatchya too :)

I don't believe the trustfires actually have a true protection board in them. They have a board that includes short circuit protection so that they can say it is protected, but it's not actually 2C current protected. I also discovered that the "short circuit protection" isn't worth a pinch of...

The reason is, the internal resistance of these batteries is so high, they can't pass enough current to trip the short circuit protection. Don't ask me how I know this, but my suggestion about it only having enough energy to melt the shrink wrap off the battery was not a guess ;-)

thedaytripper

May 31, 2013
Nottingham
Thank you guys for all the advise. After browsing around a bit more I came across these batteries:

2x Efest IMR 18350 800mAh flat top 3.7v Li-Ion+protective case | eBay

Would these work fine with the Vamo? I am travelling tomorrow and the county I am travelling to has a retail outlet where they sell these. I could pick them up while I am there.

Edit: I would prefer the vamo in 18350 size rather than 18650 and have a spare battery on me.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
That price doesn't look sketchy to me. Efest batteries aren't top of the line and don't command the premium that AW batteries do.

I think that comes out to around $11.00 US shipped. That's a reputable UK vendor with a long history and lots of positive feedback.

I'd do $11.00 for two Efests shipped.

Edit: Yes, those will work fine in your Vamo. I have a pair of those.

Just carry your spares in an insulated or plastic case, not loose in your pocket with keys, change and whatnot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread