NEWBIE HERE! Will i be alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbanhbao

Nov 21, 2014
Seattle, WA
I'm a new vaper, well new to mechanical. I just recently acquired a Plume Veil + smok-e mod clone from a local Vape shop. I also got a 18650 battery that says 3.7v 2500mah as well. My plume veil is roughly at .9 ohm but it fluctuate .7-.9 ohms. Am i safe running this setup? Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance

UPDATE INFOMATION

Found out my battery is LG..
LGDBHE21865
N207G262AI

Description:
· Li-ion 2500mAh 18650 cell
· Product Name : LG LGDBHE21865 Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
· Model : 18650
· Norminal Capacity : 2500mAh
· Diameter : 18.0mm
· Height : 65.0mm
· Weight(Typical) : 45g
· Max. Continuing Charge Current : 20A, Peak 30A
· Internal resistance : 16mΩ
· Charge Method: Constant Current and Constant Voltage(4.2V)
· Nominal Voltage : 3.7 V
· Discharge Temperature : -20°C ~ +60°C

This is what i got after entering my information into the Ohm's Cal.

Voltage: 3.7
Current: 4.1111
Resistance: .9
Power: 15.2111

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Mrbanhbao, I'm not terribly familiar with mech mods (at least I think that's what the Smok-e is - couldn't find anything when I googled it), but the biggest consideration is the actual battery. Does it have ANY more information on it other than "3.7v 2500mah"? You want to find a good high-drain IMR battery (Sony VTC4/5, Purple EFEST, Orbtronic are supposed to be quality batteries.)

There's also a site: Steam Engine | free vaping calculators which can help you with calculations to make sure you're running within acceptable limits for your battery and device.

You need to make sure your battery can tolerate the amp draw, even at .8 ohms. Presume that your battery is fully charged at 4.2 v. On an average .8 ohm coil you're going to pull around 5.25 Amps (Current = Voltage/Resistance). This will taper as the voltage of the battery drops. To be safe, I'd STRONGLY recommend that your battery is rated for at least 20A CONTINUOUS draw. No, I don't know a lot about mechs, but I have enough paranoia that if it was me using this, I'd want a battery that could handle AT LEAST 3 times my max expected amp draw.

There's a user named Baditude who has a number of blog articles regarding battery safety. Please hunt that down and read through.

I'm hoping someone with more smarts than I will come by and offer some suggestions for you.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)

If you are new to mech mods and rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs regarding mods and rebuildables are listed below:

BATTERIES

9. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

17. Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

14. Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

16. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

7. Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

15. Inexpensive Mechanical Mod and RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I'm a new vaper, well new to mechanical. I just recently acquired a Plume Veil + Smok-e mod clone from a local Vape shop. I also got a 18650 battery that says 3.7v 2500mah as well. My plume veil is roughly at .9 ohm but it fluctuate .7-.9 ohms. Am i safe running this setup? Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance

You'll definitely want to know more about the battery. A 0.7ohm coil can use up to 6amps. This isn't an absurd amount in the "sub-ohm" grand scheme of things, but it will be greater than the amp limit of some batteries.

Furthermore, fluctuations are a sign that your screws may not be tightened down properly. Make sure they are, you don't want to get burnt hits from a hot leg.

If the battery can handle the 6 amps, there's nothing wrong with what you've got. I do hope you've got some way of measuring battery voltage, you don't want to run them past the point where they're unsafe to recharge.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
There isn't much on the battery itself. It just says 3.7v 2500mah 18650. Thanks everyone, I will read up on the Baditude article.

If that is all you know about the battery than no one can really tell you if it is safe or not. There should be some sort of cryptic serial number type stuff on the battery wrap that you can google to figure out what you have. Sometimes it is under the little white label that is on so many batteries.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I'm a new vaper, well new to mechanical. I just recently acquired a Plume Veil + Smok-e mod clone from a local Vape shop. I also got a 18650 battery that says 3.7v 2500mah as well. My plume veil is roughly at .9 ohm but it fluctuate .7-.9 ohms. Am i safe running this setup? Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance

Myself, I'd never recommend a new vaper sub-ohm. It's risky. I got nothing against sub-ohm and "cloud chasing", it's that you're talking about taking risks and you need to learn and gain experience first. Don't try the "high dive" your first swimming lesson. :)

I'd say get a boring device to use most times. Find experienced sub-ohm types (ECF is so big, I'm sure we gots tons who know the subject well). Read everything you can get your hands on and learn.

If you're not sure it's safe, don't do it!

Shoot, I do my own household wiring and never blink. I know what I'm doing. But I won't sub-ohm. Sounds too dangerous. Gimme 120 A/C any day over "gosh, that sounds like a dead short on that battery you got there". ;)

mrbanhbao

Nov 21, 2014
Seattle, WA
If that is all you know about the battery than no one can really tell you if it is safe or not. There should be some sort of cryptic serial number type stuff on the battery wrap that you can google to figure out what you have. Sometimes it is under the little white label that is on so many batteries.

Okay i'll take a look again. So the serial number stuff was actually hidden under the label "18650 2500mAh 3.7V"
The serial number is

LGDBHE21865
N207G262AI

Last edited:

ProjektMayhem

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2014
Mooresville, NC, USA
Yeah that LG battery can handle that amperage from that build. Use an ohms law calculator to figure out if other builds are safe before you use them. If you have to come on here and ask if that build is safe you definitely don't know enough about rebuilding. Read as much as you can. If you put that plume veil on an ohm reader and the resistance is bouncing around there could be a short somewhere which will vent your battery. When I build I make sure when I screw the RDA on to the ohm reader it's at a stable resistance. But you can find all this info on the internet.

danca90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
You got one of the better batteries being made right now. For me, it's the Samsung 25R and the LG HE2, so you're on a good start.
Whenever you decide you need another battery, make sure to get a battery case. Loose batteries are a big no no. Also, unless you know what you're looking for, avoid sonys for a while. Most being sold are fake.

mrbanhbao

Nov 21, 2014
Seattle, WA
Yeah that LG battery can handle that amperage from that build. Use an ohms law calculator to figure out if other builds are safe before you use them. If you have to come on here and ask if that build is safe you definitely don't know enough about rebuilding. Read as much as you can. If you put that plume veil on an ohm reader and the resistance is bouncing around there could be a short somewhere which will vent your battery. When I build I make sure when I screw the RDA on to the ohm reader it's at a stable resistance. But you can find all this info on the internet.

yeah thanks for the tip, i was using a digital multimeter to measure the ohms so maybe that was the reason the reading varies. I will continue learning and reading on rebuildable.

Just curious why the specs for the battery shows 20A and 30A for max cont.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread