Idea for new atomizer element - SiC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilya

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Has anyone considered the use of a ceramic such as silicon carbide in atomizers? Modders? The use of silicon carbide both as a heat transfer material and heating element has been known since it was brought into use in the industry over 60 years ago.

The reasons why I am asking this:

Silicon carbide is known in its natural form as Moissanite. When a crystal is faceted, it very closely resembles diamonds, and its hardness is extremely close to that of diamond. One interesting way to test for a true diamond is a thermal conductivity test, moissanite transfers heat energy much the same way as diamond and so fooled many testers who suspected cubic zirconia.

I am holding in my hand a defectively overzealous aquarium heater made by Tetra. it overheated my aquarium by about 15 degrees and so I cannot use it. One interesting feature is that it utilizes silicon carbide crystals (looks like 0.5mm ish diameter) specifically for this heat transference property...

Thinking about disassembling it, and working it onto an atty coil design. It seems as though the small crystals would form a suitable porous wick layer, and atomize e-liquid as soon as the heating element on one side of the crystals had achieved the proper temp.

Couple things to consider:

Silicon carbide is extremely hard, and an abrasive. Safety precautions I'd like to take with this is to make sure that the nichrome wire doesn't get ground to a powder as I know that nichrome is also known as "Muscle Wire" in the robotics field, and changes shape during heating. This movement could be detrimental.

The crystals moving against each other could also make a very fine silicon carbide powder, at least i'm guessing. sucking with force through industrial abrasive.... ehhhhhhhhhhhh. Cotton batting on top for a filter at LEAST.

Looking for design ideas with these considerations in mind, especially the heating element / SiC "wick" junction.

Alternatively, if this is the electrically conductive variety of SiC, this could fizzle very fast this way (ie short out the atomizer coil), but opens the possibility to using the SiC itself as the main heating component. Still doing some research on the old thermal conductivity diamond testers, I believe they actually ran a current through the stone to produce heat and how they found the difference between that and SiC is that SiC heated up WAY faster than diamond, but this is buried from under the reams of crap in my brain and I'm still looking for supporting evidence. Any help / thoughts / doomsday predictions much appreciated.

perlionsmitnick

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
TX
I am familiar with silicon carbide elements used in the HVAC industry as ignitors. Problems we have with them is they crack over time. More robust, as far as ignitors go is silicon nitride elements. Of course these are line voltage deviices and may run at much too high temps for our use. I was merely pointing out a more durable material to you.

Silicon Nitride Ignitors

vilya

Feb 17, 2011
NY
According to crystaltechnica, the manufacturer of the glo-stix line, whose liquid heating elements line states: "Designed for use where a liquid is heated to a constant temperature or brought to boiling point. They are sterile and unaffected by lime scale and most chemicals. Applications include water heating, food production and handling, and oil heating." Apparently a 6v version is in existence!! Is it too much to hope that a standard battery voltage would produce the desired temperature range? We shall see :D

That sounds like awesome. Now to find out if that grill igniter uses a nitride element.... TYVM perl!

vilya

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Yup. Having some trouble finding the dang-rabbit things for sale online tho. All the electronic grill igniters I have seen are "continuous spark" leading me to think no one has integrated this awesome little igniter into a AAA-driven circuit. Fewmets! :grr:

Fired off an email specifying the 6v model to the USA representative for my state. Gonna go look for passthroughs and enjoying some nice menthol on this sore throat. Cigs used to hurt so bad when I was sick. This feels good.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Yup. Having some trouble finding the dang-rabbit things for sale online tho. All the electronic grill igniters I have seen are "continuous spark" leading me to think no one has integrated this awesome little igniter into a AAA-driven circuit. Fewmets! :grr:

Fired off an email specifying the 6v model to the USA representative for my state. Gonna go look for passthroughs and enjoying some nice menthol on this sore throat. Cigs used to hurt so bad when I was sick. This feels good.

Yippeee, I talked to Mr. Erikson today from Crystal Technia, and he told me to send him and email directly and he will get me a sample :) BAWAHaHA.... Here is what I emailed him:

Dear Sir,
I am writing with a request for a sample of one Silicon Nitride 6VDC Mini-Light igniter. I am looking into utilizing these in an electronic heating application. If the product performs correctly, reaching temps of at least 600 degrees in <1 sec in the prototype, then I would be looking at needing a large quantity of these igniters. If there is any cost required for a sample please contact me at the number below.

Well we will see what happens......
Dan

vilya

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Hahaha... found some 24v systems for 40 bucks online. google nitride grill igniter... still looking for one in a battery pack. BTW MTBF is 3-5 years for silicon carbide, twice that for nitride. one atomizer lasting ten years.... even if you consider if it lasts one under constant use it would pay for itself. At least for me... been looking at bulk attys for good price breaks but singly they're about 8-10 bucks apeice.

EDIT: chinese manufacturers are citing over 100,000 ignitions using these. PWM could probably be used both to regulate temp and extend life too. if it's not fully heating to top ignition temps...

Last edited:

vilya

Feb 17, 2011
NY
Spec sheets, rofl at the 30W... PM me and I'll FW ya the original PDFs if interested. :) Comes in 10W and 30W LOL sick...

Attachments

• 10W.jpg
    10W.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 30W.jpg
    30W.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 38

JohnKing

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
FL
I have experimented with porous ceramic rods (40+microns) and they didn't wick quite fast enough for me and they gunked up quickly. It lead to a lot of cleaning and was kind of a P-I-T-A. Plus they cost about $40/each to manufacture plus an $85 set-up fee for each run.

I've been trying to make some porous rod.The idea is to mix the ceramic with something soluble, let it harden/set up and then soak off the soluble stuff. I haven't found the right mix yet but the concept does work, maybe someone else will hit on the magic blend. I think the trick will be to find that sweet spot between good wicking and loss of structural strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread