Atomizer / Cartomizer for life....

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Wicked indeed. The aggressive airflow system is just great and adds to the looks. Does it all fit into your cigar casing? I'm using a similar 3/2mm alu tube but not going so close to the coil as that gets to be too harsh for me. One thing, the breather and fill holes, if you corked them, would it not work then? That seems like it would be the biggest source of leaking. Also how are you getting the pins so nicely crimped? My needles wouldn't do that they only bend some and snap so I went to straight pins.

Oh and is that a service tool in the last pic? I've been wondering what would be ideal for carrying with me, as mosquito forceps are great, but not to be carried about.

asdaq, will answer one by one:

No, I will have to make a new cigar casing for this one since the atty diameter is larger on this one. (Holds more liquid).
Corking only one prevents all leaking. I use a toothpick tip - :facepalm: (the wooden ones). You will want the breather hole open otherwise it struggles to wick nicely.
I heated the needles with my small torch and then bent them.
That small copper tube in the back is what I use to coil the nichrome. I have a small fly tying scissor clamp I carry with me. But then again, there is no real need to carry tools. The wick and coil lasts a long time. Just rinse under hot water and it's good to go for a few more days. I replace mine on a weekly basis - not because I have to, but because it's so darn cheap and it tastes new! :2cool:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Torching needles- whoa :) attention to detail. I thought the breather was for when filling. I suppose a service tool is rather excessive, but I don't like the thought of getting juice on my fingers to wiggle the coil or something on the go, but I just take a 2nd mod anyway. I suppose I should just mod a mod and not a tool.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Quite nice. I'm surprised you didn't go for a height adjustable copper tube in your cap (let's say 1-4mm range). That would have given you total tweakability.

The use of ceramic should interest Roadrash. He is of the notion that ceramic is the key to avoiding the traditional 'carto' taste (he's probably right).

I'm also amazed at how uniform and perfect your coils look.

:thumbs:

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
Nice one, 13oertjie. can you tell us the different in performance betwixt this on and the original N&P.
Especially if you noticed a difference having a ceramic cup.
You also mentioned you were at 4 ohm. What voltage is the device running at and what type of wire is the coil made of?
As Willy would say, Inquiring minds want to know.
Maybe we can get this atomizer forum up and running again.lol

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Answers: Asdaq, yes, same tubing used for mouthpiece. Roadrash, performance better both TH & vapour. When I said ceramic - I used standard pottery clay shaped, dried and then fired with my small bunsen torch. Guess it's not really ceramic but it works well! I can confidently say there is no taste or funny flavour. In fact, it tastes like the Genesis, just much more vapour and TH. I am using the standard 3.6V ego battery, nichrome - think it's 32#, will check in the AM. Just did a quick writeup earlier to wet the appetite. Will follup up with all the technical stuff. Also, you guys HAVE to see how clean it rinses with just hot water. :) I've tried many atty mods, I like this one most.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
...I am using the standard 3.6V ego battery, nichrome - think it's 32#, will check in the AM. Just did a quick writeup earlier to wet the appetite. Will follup up with all the technical stuff.
Just in case technical stuff concerns you, here's a freshly charged eGo batt with a 2.5Ω load.

Dsc00750-1.jpg

Now here's a freshly charged 18650 AW Li-Ion firing an actual Joye 510.

Joye2.1_AW_1865.jpg

These are the actual loaded, vaping volts.

And I think your fired clay is ceramic enough.

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
Cool, Thats just the point of my questions. If 13 is running 4 ohms on a ego, now we are getting some where.
just wanted to chime in a little. Had a couple, now off to bed. more technical stuff tomorrow. will pick this up in the am. C ya. lol

Just in case technical stuff concerns you, here's a freshly charged eGo batt with a 2.5Ω load.

Dsc00750-1.jpg

Now here's a freshly charged 18650 AW Li-Ion firing an actual Joye 510.

Joye2.1_AW_1865.jpg

These are the actual loaded, vaping volts.

And I think your fired clay is ceramic enough.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Cool, Thats just the point of my questions. If 13 is running 4 ohms on a ego, now we are getting some where.
just wanted to chime in a little. Had a couple, now off to bed. more technical stuff tomorrow. will pick this up in the am. C ya. lol

Yup, the 0.5 Coulombs on Lithium ion always bothered me.... I guuss that's why a pulsing current works better.

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
It's been a while since I've posted. It's nice to see that this thread is still alive and kicking. I'm currently working on a variant of Boertjie's original design, optimized for an SS mesh wick. I've found that if you wind the coil a little differently, you can mount a vertical SS mesh wick in an atomizer designed for a horizontal coil. I'll post details asap.

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
Just finished making this with a stainless steel atty. It screws onto the standard ego battery and holds approximately 4ml juice. You can :vapor: for the entire day on one fill..... :)

Special price for members. only $1000.00ea. Minimum order 10...... (just kidding b.t.w.) :facepalm:

Egocigar2.jpg

Egocigar1.jpg

Egocigaratty.jpg

Egocigar0.jpg

I want technical specs and full details of the atty construccion and the cigar shield. :pop:

URGENT !!!! :D:D:D

inquiring minds would like to know, :laugh::laugh::pop:

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
My apologies for taking so long to respond gents - have been busy at work.

I am in the process of making another atty and will take some nice pitures as I go along.

Sofar as the cigar shield: All I did was to look for a nice picture of a tobacco leaf, printed on an A3 sheet of normal paper, cut a long strip (about 300mm x 25mm) of the picture where the natural leaf tones looks nice and rolled that around the atty and battery. Once properly rolled, I painted it on the outside with a two part clear epoxy coat and waited for it to dry. I then cut the shield on the atty / battery split as well as the atomizer cap.

I did however find that the epoxy sometimes doesn't penetrate the paper properly and when cleaning the assembly it can absorb water causing decolourisation of the printed paper in some places.

At the moment my PV has a shiny stainless steel appearance - will get back to the cigar look when done with the new atomizer. :)

I'm still using this atomizer design: It delivers great TH and taste and is easy to maintain.
FatAttyside.jpg

KYFlyer67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
Ky
Yeah, 13, you need to get your priorities straight, this is much more important than work. :) :) OK, I built a 13-style P&N atty variant that I'm using with a genesis-style ss wick, but it also works equally well with a silica-nichrome wick or pretty much any other wick for that matter. My atty requires no machining and no ceramic molding. The tubes (+ & - leads) in my atty are equal length. I've found that you can attach a genesis ss wick to equal-length tubes if you wrap the nichrome (or kanthal) in a different way. Normally you would wrap the nichrome several times around the ss wick so that one "leg" is higher than the other. However, if you cut a little tab (dogear) near the top of the ss wick... this is hard to explain... Fold your length of nichrome in half and hook it into the "dogear". Now you have 2 strands of nichrome to spiral around the ss mesh wick. You end up with both "legs" of the nichrome wire at the bottom (same height). Now both "legs" will easily plug into your equal-length tubes (+ & -) leads. I'll post pictures of this as soon as I do a little more tweaking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread