Any mods out there with a wattage lock?

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
USA
My old Geekvape Aegis Legend is finally dead with a "Battery Low Protection" error that refuses to go away.

The Aegis Legend 2 I replaced it with is OK, I guess, but it does not allow me to lock the wattage, which means if it gets accidentally pressed I instantly fry my wicks, which is extremely irritating. I can lock the whole device, which includes the fire button, but I use it constantly so this is not really a viable option for me.

Does anybody know if there are any box mod options out there with a wattage lock like the old-school mods had?

Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
My old Geekvape Aegis Legend is finally dead with a "Battery Low Protection" error that refuses to go away.

The Aegis Legend 2 I replaced it with is OK, I guess, but it does not allow me to lock the wattage, which means if it gets accidentally pressed I instantly fry my wicks, which is extremely irritating. I can lock the whole device, which includes the fire button, but I use it constantly so this is not really a viable option for me.

Does anybody know if there are any box mod options out there with a wattage lock like the old-school mods had?

Yeah - most actually do have it.

Did you try this, by any chance? I don't have the mod so Google-Fu was the best I could try for you.

How do you change the wattage on Aegis Legend 2?
Setting the wattage:
Press the Fire button 3 times in quick succession to enter the setting mode.
Press the Fire button to toggle the cursor and select the WAT.
3Press the "+" or "-" button to adjust the WAT parameters, long press the button to enter the quick adjustment mode.

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
USA
Yeah - most actually do have it.

Did you try this, by any chance? I don't have the mod so Google-Fu was the best I could try for you.

How do you change the wattage on Aegis Legend 2?
Setting the wattage:
Press the Fire button 3 times in quick succession to enter the setting mode.
Press the Fire button to toggle the cursor and select the WAT.
3Press the "+" or "-" button to adjust the WAT parameters, long press the button to enter the quick adjustment mode.
This Aegis Legend 2 mod does not have a wattage lock option. I want to know about box mod models that do have a wattage lock option. I vape at 10 watts, and would prefer a mod that accepts 2x 18650 batteries.

Already put 200 watts into my coil once this weekend... took about one second to completely burn up my wick.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
This Aegis Legend 2 mod does not have a wattage lock option. I want to know about box mod models that do have a wattage lock option. I vape at 10 watts, and would prefer a mod that accepts 2x 18650 batteries.

Already put 200 watts into my coil once this weekend... took about one second to completely burn up my wick.

Sorry about that (pulled an incorrect link). I know of a ton of single 18650 mods that have it, but I'm also a low wattage guy so I only have one double that I've never even used. Not sure if it has wattage lock or not (IPV4).

I'm guessing there are some out there though so hopefully someone else will pop in with better info.

Reactions: smacuser

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I love the propaganda that regulated devices are safer, maybe until they fail. I have a couple of Dicodes in 21700 and 18650 both have settings locks in wattage and temperature. I still prefer my unregulated mods most are 10 years or older. As long as you use common sense they work perfect and built for a lifetime,

Reactions: MLEJ

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
USA
I love the propaganda that regulated devices are safer, maybe until they fail. I have a couple of Dicodes in 21700 and 18650 both have settings locks in wattage and temperature. I still prefer my unregulated mods most are 10 years or older. As long as you use common sense they work perfect and built for a lifetime,
Do you know if mech mods are made that operate at around 10 watts?

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
USA
Its happened to me, as well. I had a Geekvape Solo with a runaway power switch. Now using a Vaporesso Swag II with an easy power lock.

It's unfortunate how quickly GV went downhill.
The last time I went shopping for a new mod I bought the very last GeekVape Aegis Legend that the shop had--their display model. And the reason was because it was the only mod in the place with the option to lock specifically the wattage so that it could not be modified.

It seems that all the new box mods coming out at that time (maybe 3-4 years ago) were designed with locks that would disable the entire device, but had no option to specifically lock the wattage.

I can't be arsed to remember to lock the thing every time I put it in my pocket. If it fires while in my pocket it's no big deal, the 10 second shutoff will prevent damage to my wick. But if the wattage adjustment is inadvertently pressed, the whole thing burns up in a second when I go to take my next hit.

Does the Swag II have a wattage lock? I'm not sure if the "power" lock you describe is meant to disable the whole device or just prevent accidental modification of the wattage setting.

Thank you kindly for the information!

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023

Just about all of them. They all work in different was though and some of em suck.

• Agree

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Fair. “Until they fail”. At which point of course you throw them away. I’ve tossed 3 regulated mods myself. I won’t vape without TC if I have a choice though.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Do you know if mech mods are made that operate at around 10 watts?
For a mech mod the power control would be the ohms of the atty and wattage output of the battery. Just a guess here, 1.2Ω with a 25w battery, there are charts on here to get you close. Of course that will vary as the battery charge drops where a regulated device tries to maintain throughout the battery cycle.

My daily device is a Boxer 20700 unregulated the power on it is so clean at .7Ω you don't notice a power drop til the battery drop below 3.2v.

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
For a mech mod the power control would be the ohms of the atty and wattage output of the battery. Just a guess here, 1.2Ω with a 25w battery, there are charts on here to get you close. Of course that will vary as the battery charge drops where a regulated device tries to maintain throughout the battery cycle.

My daily device is a Boxer 20700 unregulated the power on it is so clean at .7Ω you don't notice a power drop til the battery drop below 3.2v.
Yeah, they’re analog not digital. I had a boxer. Still got it but it’s in pieces. Twin 18650 regulated squonk.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don't know what you mean by "wattage lock".

does not allow me to lock the wattage, which means if it gets accidentally pressed I instantly fry my wicks, which is extremely irritating.

Sounds like you mean fire button lock? If so that features isn't as common as it once was since 5 simple clicks turns the mod off anyway.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I don't know what you mean by "wattage lock".

Sounds like you mean fire button lock? If so that features isn't as common as it once was since 5 simple clicks turns the mod off anyway.
    I think he means the up/down buttons. So if the up button gets pressed in his pocket it could push the watts way up. It's happened to me when I pulled a mod out of my pocket and accidentally grabbed it by the up button. Some mods do let you lock everything except the power button.

The Z80 has a nifty trick. To use the up/down buttons you have to push the button for a moment, then release it and start pushing again to change the wattage. Makes it little less likely that you would inadvertently change the watts.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I think he means the up/down buttons.

Yes, I had a brain fart.

The work-arounds are:

1. Use the slide lock on the side when in pocket or whatever.

2. Use in VPC mode. I don't believe you can change the "curve" wattages without going into the 3-click menu system. Set all the wattages of the curve to the same wattage (unless you actually want a curve) and use it that way.

3. Use in stealth mode. Can;t change wattages when in stealth.

None of these are perfect solutions, only work-arounds. Geekvape needs a firmware update release to add wattage lock by pressing +/- buttons simultaneously for 2 seconds. But that won't likely happen.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    A lot of mods have wattage/power lock too. DNA60s do it by holding the PowerUp+PowerDown buttons simultaneously, but almost all of my regulated mods do it in some way.

The SWAGs are the funkiest, but they still do it. It's a combination that one wouldn't think of instinctively (I can't remember exactly what it is at this moment).

In all cases, the mod still fires normally but the power won't change if you hit Up or Down.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Does the Swag II have a wattage lock? I'm not sure if the "power" lock you describe is meant to disable the whole device or just prevent accidental modification of the wattage setting.
    I can put it in my pocket and it will stay locked at 9 watts for when I use it again without it scrolling. 3 clicks of the fire button locks it in.

IMG_1254.jpeg

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I can put it in my pocket and it will stay locked at 9 watts for when I use it again without it scrolling. 3 clicks of the fire button locks it in.

View attachment 1011512

Do the 2s have the same locks as the 1, Smacs? I have a few in a box here somewhere, but still have only used the 1s (to date). It was something like the front button plus the Up button.

You're going to make me look it up, aren't you? :-x;):laugh:

• Haha

Users who are viewing this thread