Another Original Mech From China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
(Sarcasm ahead!! warning!! Slow people move along.)

But but but.....
With all the cost of R&D shouldn't it cost $200+?
I Mean that's what I see posted all over the net justifying high retail prices...

Seriously, nice mod, realistic price.
26650 so you can vape all day.
I'm a player.
Keep this up and legit modders will have to get their hearts right if they wanna survive.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
It definitely encouraging to see Chinese factories put out originals (though I have no problem with clones so long as they aren't being marketed as authentic and clearly stated that they are indeed copies). They clearly have the means to make MODs (yes, even good ones). It's just a matter of deciding to do it. I'm glad that Hcigar has decided to do it.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I think there is really only so much you can do with tube style mech mods. It's basically a 510 connection on top, one of a small variety of switches on the bottom and then some sort of logo and/or name. I like some more than others though.

That goes for boxes too.

There are only so many ways to make a MOD that people will want to use.

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
(Sarcasm ahead!! warning!! Slow people move along.)

But but but.....
With all the cost of R&D shouldn't it cost $200+?
I Mean that's what I see posted all over the net justifying high retail prices...

Seriously, nice mod, realistic price.
26650 so you can vape all day.
I'm a player.
Keep this up and legit modders will have to get their hearts right if they wanna survive.

It justifies prices for mod makers in the west with higher costs.

You know, your logic could very well be applied to whatever job you have...whatever your career, I bet the Chinese could do it just as well and waaaaaay cheaper.

Come on, you know this. You just have a weird chip on your shoulder about high end mods.

Just don't buy them if you don't like it....why run around a bunch of threads whining?

Also, it's sound economics that a seller should charge what the market can bear. If you were making a mod, would you sell it for $50 when people would buy it for $200? I think not.

I also like this trend...hope it continues

Kahuna Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Round Rock, Texas, United States
If you were making a mod, would you sell it for $50 when people would buy it for $200? I think not.

Yes, in fact I would. If I could sell 20,000 units at $50 I would take that over 1000 units at $200. That is, how you say, simple economics. $1,000,000 > $200,000

The biggest joke of all, these guys (not companies, just a couple of guys usually) get together in a kick starter effort with a small investment to create a battery tube, approach manufactures at China or the Philippines to have it produced, gladly take your money to minimize their investment and help fund the project, and somehow make this whole experience seem luxurious and fashionable.

Ain't America grand?

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Yes, in fact I would. If I could sell 20,000 units at $50 I would take that over 1000 units at $200. That is, how you say, simple economics. $1,000,000 > $200,000

The biggest joke of all, these guys (not companies, just a couple of guys usually) get together in a kick starter effort with a small investment to create a battery tube, approach manufactures at China or the Philippines to have it produced, gladly take your money to minimize their investment and help fund the project, and somehow make this whole experience seem luxurious and fashionable.

Ain't America grand?

So do you know if mods such as the Magneto and L100/101 sell in the area of 20K units?

Once again, other than one example I'm not sure if any of the high-end mods are manufactured in China.

As for the Philippines, their GDP per capita is $2,587, (US is $51,749) so it does make you wonder.

Last edited:

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
Kahuna

What's the bigger chance?

Put out the investment needed to manufacture that many units, and hope they sell. If you only sell half, you are looking at huge losses.

OR

You could manufacture in house, with outlays in line with what you can afford, in such a way that if it fails you aren't on the hook to outside suppliers for units that you can't sell.

I know what I would do if it were I taking the risks. I wouldn't run at pie in the sky numbers with outside obligations.

Last edited:

Kahuna Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Kahuna

What's the bigger chance?

Put out the investment needed to manufacture that many units, and hope they sell. If you only sell half, you are looking at huge losses.

OR

You could manufacture in house, with outlays in line with what you can afford, in such a way that if it fails you aren't on the hook to outside suppliers for units that you can't sell.

I know what I would do if it were I taking the risks. I wouldn't run at pie in the sky numbers with outside obligations.

That's exactly my point. We are not dealing with Gucci, Apple, Rolex, BMW, Mercedes, or any other high end brand that is chic and fashionable. We are dealing with a couple of guys who get together, pool a small investment and make selling a metal tube to you like it's an honor and luxurious. The hype around these things is unreal.

I swear, I am going to go to a local machine shop, hand them a mod and some specs to be produced for a few bucks per unit, start a wait list and hype how the next big thing is on the horizon, put a money bag on it and call it the "Sucker is Born Every Minute". When it sells out of it's "Limited Edition" run I'm going to buy myself a house. Heck, American made and I'll even have it produced in ultra snazzy and rare "copper". hahaha

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Call me a pessimist, but it just looks like a bigger version of their crappy Nemesis clone. Same switch style and everything. Just rebranded for sailors or something.

You don't like china mods thats fine.
I have 6 nemesis clones and Not one is crappy. Every one has earned it own Kayfun clone and they all kick ....

But please at least look and know what your talking about.
The switch is clearly a variation of the Stingray, NOT the Nemesis.

SINphul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
You don't like china mods thats fine.
I have 6 nemesis clones and Not one is crappy. Every one has earned it own Kayfun clone and they all kick ....

But please at least look and know what your talking about.
The switch is clearly a variation of the Stingray, NOT the Nemesis.

Never owned a Stingray, so I wouldn't have a point of reference. To my eyes, it looked like a slightly modded Nemesis switch.

I have however owned an Hcigar Nemesis. So from that experience, in my opinion, their quality is not something I appreciated. Just a personal opinion from my experience with their mods. Not trying to be elitist, so you can put down the pitch fork and torches :)

icemanistheking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Bella Vista, AR

Ain't America grand?

Blah blah blah

That's all I hear. Proof? I've heard it from a Filipino person that this occasionally happens with Pinoy mods. With the rising US mod scene and European and Korean scenes (think these guys sell their schematics to China? :laugh:) already well established, Pinoy mods aren't exactly taking center stage anymore anyway.

And "proof" is not that you heard it from Bad Ninja

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
That's exactly my point. We are not dealing with Gucci, Apple, Rolex, BMW, Mercedes, or any other high end brand that is chic and fashionable. We are dealing with a couple of guys who get together, pool a small investment and make selling a metal tube to you like it's an honor and luxurious. The hype around these things is unreal.

I swear, I am going to go to a local machine shop, hand them a mod and some specs to be produced for a few bucks per unit, start a wait list and hype how the next big thing is on the horizon, put a money bag on it and call it the "Sucker is Born Every Minute". When it sells out of it's "Limited Edition" run I'm going to buy myself a house. Heck, American made and I'll even have it produced in ultra snazzy and rare "copper". hahaha

Someone apparently doesn't understand the economics of high quality machining.

dogmanactual

Verified Member
May 14, 2014
United States
i find it pretty comical that this has turned into an economics debate over a cheap mod. why not just buy it and use it if it works, toss it if it doesn't? the way i imagine it is this: i used to spend ~$40+ a week on smokes, why not risk the $30 or so on a mod from a new company.

i do have to say i am not a fan of the 26650 batteries though, they are way bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread