Another Nic Base Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
I'm stocking up on Nic base because of the FDA Damning regs that are fixing to start. I have DIY most of my other gear (Mechs,RTA,rda,coils etc.) but never ventured into DIY e-liquid so after reading the treads and everyone saying to buy nic base I decided to hurry and buy nic base before reading WHAT KIND of nic base to buy:facepalm: I went to Nude Nicotine and got to the 100mg base and it asked what ratio i wanted that in....what?o_O and it had option anywhere from 100% VG to 100% PG so I thought "ummm 50/50 vg/pg sounds like a good happy medium" I ordered it and days later i decided to look up nic base storage and found some people storing it in 100% VG or 100% PG but not much info on storing a 50/50 mix so I was wondering what is the storage life of the mix if stored in the freezer unopened in the original amber-colored plastic bottle?

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
There's a lot of speculation but as far as I can tell, so far nobody has found a noticeable difference in nic base stored in glass in the freezer whether it's PG or VG, so a blend should be fine. In a way, you're hedging your bet!

In plastic, I can only attest to 18 months making no difference to me, but eventually plastic may leach a bit and be porous a bit as well, increasing the oxidation rate.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
It does not matter 100%vg, 100%PG or 50/50 or any precentage there of, the long term storage process is the same. I store both 100%PG and 100%VG and both are just fine after 4 years or so. Just bottle in glass filled to just below the bottle neck and freeze.
When I purchase my NIC I don't purchase in mixed bases (50/50) solutions as I prefer to work with 100% of one type. Call me old school or just set in my ways but to me it just makes calculations easier. But combos will freeze just as well as individual PG or VG alone.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Since you're in AL, unless there's another place closer to you to get Amber Glass Boston Round Bottles for your Nic base...I'd recommend GlassBottleOutlet that's located in Sebring, FL. Shipping to AL shouldn't be much more than it was to me here in FL. They ship all over the US, and quite a few who DIY on here have gotten theirs from them, too.

I ordered these below, for 1 Liter of Nic Base, because they'd take up less freezer space instead of using 8 of the 4oz. (120mL) bottles:

(4) 8oz. (240mL) with polycone cap @ $1.18 each
Those hold all but about 45mL of the 1000mL in each Liter, since you leave alittle space at the top of each 8oz. bottle. Those 4 then got capped immediately.

(1) 2oz. (60mL) with polycone cap closure @ $.41
I put the extra 45mL left over into it. Capped it, and put it in the fridge for use in the next month or so. When I'm ready to DIY, I'll take it out of the fridge and let it get to room temp. before opening it and using what I need then.)

I also ordered these, for breaking down 1 of the 8oz. bottles in the freezer, after I use the 45mL in the 2oz. bottle in the fridge:
(3) 2oz. (60mL) with polycone cap @ $.48 each
You need 4, but you reuse the one that had the 45mL in it. Put 3 of them back into the freezer, and keep 1 in the fridge for DIY for awhile.

Not many bottles, not much expense, and they won't take up much space in the freezer:

(4) 8oz. (240mL) with polycone cap @ $1.18 each
(4) 2oz. (60mL) with polycone cap closure @ $.41

For each additional L I bought, I just ordered (4) more of the 8oz. bottles and (1) more of the 2oz. to split it up for freezer storage. Didn't need to order the 3 more 2oz. bottles like with the 1st L, because I can reuse those 3 each time I break down another 8oz. bottle from the freezer!

IF you want to have an extra 1 or 2 of each bottle size & their caps, just in case of potential breakage over the years...I'd definitely recommend going ahead and getting them with your order. It's a lot easier than trying to find some available locally if/when needed right away!

By the way, I also boxed mine before putting them in the freezer. A recycled, USPS, little square/cube box holds 2L worth (8 of the 8oz. bottles) with bubblewrap under them, on top of them, and around the outside edges in the box. Taped it shut with packing tape, wrote on the outside of the box what it was, and that's it! Worked like a charm!

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread