About to give up on my Kayfun 3.1 ES clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had massive issues with the fill port until i bought the pink 20ga dispensing tips (luer lock) and use a syringe to fill. Takes 10sec to fill the tank now. No leaks. Also make sure to use hot water and use fill valve both ways to clean it out. Dried juice can gunk up and break seal

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Ok, so I was sooo excited to get this, and I've tried 4 times now, watched 3 videos, and still can't figure out why it's not working. I spent over an hour combined on two tries just today. I am out of ideas and am ready to just get something different.

I can get everything going until I try to fill the tank, then 2 things happen.

1) it leaks--either out of the airflow hole, or the filling hole (it comes out of the airflow until I screw it in all the way, then it comes out of the filling hole)
2) If I get a decent vacuum to where it's only leaking a little (fills the hole opening but doesn't pour out), I either get no vapor or the airflow hole has to be completely shut so no draw whatsoever.

I have filled it the same as in the vids I watched; just catching the threads on the top cap and then flipping it over and tightening it down, then flipping it upright again. It works fine when I attach the chimney and vape out of that, but not when it's all assembled, even with the tank empty.

I feel like I'm missing parts, or a screw to plug something, or something.

Does anyone have any clue as to what my problem is?? :unsure:

you have to fill from the bottom port, once it's all screwed together tightly; if it's leaking out the air hole you are flooded - turn it upside down and blow a little to clear (into a paper towel)

I just use an eye-dropper (regular, that came with my juice) to fill; never had a problem

the top-fill method never worked well for me, always a disaster.

Last edited:

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
From what I understand the ES has a ball-valve of sorts (not an actual ball valve, just a valve that uses an actual litte ball, more like a bleed valve actually) that seals the fill port. When you squeeze liquid into the port it depresses the ball and allows juice to flow into the tank. When you stop filling, the spring pushes the ball back into place and the tank is sealed.

On normal fill ports you want to leave room around the outside edge of the nozzle to let air escape, on the ES's fill port you need to make a seal around the port with the bottle to create enough pressure to push the ball in otherwise most of the juice will just squirt out around the bottle.

Assuming my understanding of the ES's fill port is correct is sounds like that ball valve got stuck a bit, or damaged in some way that is stopping it from fully sealing. Or since it's a clone the company just did a bad job copying the ball valve design so it doesn't work well.
wait... so this clone has no fill-port screw?

thebanik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
New Delhi, India
I have been having issues with my FT clone as well. Leaking mainly from the fill port. Not a few drops but every drop in the tank. Ofcourse if I close it using the screw then no leaking but then the draw becomes so tight that I do not like it one bit. Have checked all the o-rings, changed them. Have tried both methods to fill from fill hole and the top.

So my main question is that, if Kayfun is supposed to be used with a screw in the fill port?

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I can't say for sure about the screw, but the ES definitely uses a one-way valve in the filport that can get stuck or damaged and stay open. From what I've read you are supposed to use an included plastic nozzle that came with the real kayfuns, not sure if the clones came with it. It makes a proper seal while filling, and doesn't damage the valve like a syringe can.

Thread on leaky valves over at UK vapers, pages and pages of it ;) :

leaking valve Kayfun 3.1 es

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
In case anyone is interested, I got it working OK - fixed the issue with the drippy fill valve, and filled it with a syringe from the bottom. I also clipped the ends of my wick off a bit so that they just rest on the top of the atty, right where the channels are.

No vapor--I was getting a little with primer puffs but nothing on the exhale. Great flavor, but where's the vapor? I thought I had flooded it, so I blew out the air hole and all the liquid drained out of the mouthpiece. Like ALL of it.

So irritated. I think I'm going to need some hands-on instruction on this.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
I have been having issues with my FT clone as well. Leaking mainly from the fill port. Not a few drops but every drop in the tank. Ofcourse if I close it using the screw then no leaking but then the draw becomes so tight that I do not like it one bit. Have checked all the o-rings, changed them. Have tried both methods to fill from fill hole and the top.

So my main question is that, if Kayfun is supposed to be used with a screw in the fill port?
of course

it is a tighter draw... I only have a kayfun lite (regular), but without the screw in the fill port... the juice will just flow out of the fill port
:?:

Maybe it's just my (rather cheapo) clone, but I don't have a valve on mine at all -- it's just a hole.

For me, with the one I have, the kayfun is a puffer not a lung-hitter

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
In case anyone is interested, I got it working OK - fixed the issue with the drippy fill valve, and filled it with a syringe from the bottom. I also clipped the ends of my wick off a bit so that they just rest on the top of the atty, right where the channels are.

No vapor--I was getting a little with primer puffs but nothing on the exhale. Great flavor, but where's the vapor? I thought I had flooded it, so I blew out the air hole and all the liquid drained out of the mouthpiece. Like ALL of it.

So irritated. I think I'm going to need some hands-on instruction on this.
post pictures of:

-the coil, unwicked
-the coil, wicked (wick not placed)
-the coil, wicked and placed
-a birds-eye view of the coil and wick setup after you put the bottom ring around it

and info on:

-gauge of kanthal
-resistance of coil
-power level of device you are using if VV/VW

for the most recent one that is not wicking/vaping properly

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
post pictures of:

-the coil, unwicked
-the coil, wicked (wick not placed)
-the coil, wicked and placed
-a birds-eye view of the coil and wick setup after you put the bottom ring around it

Most of those are in the thread I linked (except for the un-wicked coil). I'll pull the wick out and PM you a pic when I get home from work (around 6-6:30). Coil is sitting about 1-2mm from the center hole, all seems to look as it should, and I can vape it just fine with the chimney on (no tank). It's the tank that's causing issues. No problem with flavor - it's great, when I can get even a semblance of vapor.

Don't want to hijack this thread, as I just wanted to wish Rockstarr luck in her adventure--I still am stubborn enough to keep trying this one.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Most of those are in the thread I linked (except for the un-wicked coil). I'll pull the wick out and PM you a pic when I get home from work (around 6-6:30). Coil is sitting about 1-2mm from the center hole, all seems to look as it should, and I can vape it just fine with the chimney on (no tank). It's the tank that's causing issues. No problem with flavor - it's great, when I can get even a semblance of vapor.

Don't want to hijack this thread, as I just wanted to wish Rockstarr luck in her adventure--I still am stubborn enough to keep trying this one.
and info on:

-gauge of kanthal
-resistance of coil
-power level of device you are using if VV/VW

for the most recent one that is not wicking/vaping properly

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com

So, it seems that the juice is not getting from the outer tank to the deck? How high are you filling the tank? If the juice level is not above the level of the deck (where the wick rests) it isn't gonna work. That for me is one of the main problem with the kayfun design.

brookj1986

Super Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago, IL

Hijack away. This is the type of stuff people SHOULD see. As they may have similar experiences of issues, it is always great to see these issues thru (IMHO).

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I just realized this was in my thread, not Rockstarr's...unless it was moved...:facepalm:

I have a 1.8 ohm coil, 32ga wire (I think, could be 30), testing it on a VV V3.0 at about 7.5W. If I get it going right I plan on using it on my Zen2 tube w/a 510 adaptor.

I'm filling it to just over the part of the chimney that screws onto the cylinder, per the many vids I've watched. Again, great vapor without the tank when I test it on the chimney. Coil fires perfectly, no uneven heating going on. I can get maybe one "decent" hit out of it when the tank is filled (still less vapor than a clearo) then it stops producing. I can hear the coil firing so I know it's doing something but nothing comes out.

It gurgles quite a bit when I'm drawing on it--so that's why I thought maybe I had flooded it. That's when I blew out the airhole and all the juice spilled out of the mouthpiece. That's when I gave up the latest attempt.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
Cover the air hole. Cover it when you're screwing the tank on. Cover it when you're filling it. You definitely flooded it, that's the gurgle and no vapor.

When I get a persistent gurgle, I disassemble as much of the bottom air flow system as I can and clear out the juice. These devices need a good strong air "bubble" in the bottom (from the beginning) to keep juice from infiltrating into the lower air pathways. Once a significant amount of juice gets in, the bubble becomes unstable or too weak until the whole system is cleared out.

You can reinstitute a good bubble once the thing is flooded without disassembly, but it requires a good bit of patience, watchfulness and paper towels.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Cover the air hole. Cover it when you're screwing the tank on. Cover it when you're filling it. You definitely flooded it, that's the gurgle and no vapor.

When I get a persistent gurgle, I disassemble as much of the bottom air flow system as I can and clear out the juice. These devices need a good strong air "bubble" in the bottom (from the beginning) to keep juice from infiltrating into the lower air pathways. Once a significant amount of juice gets in, the bubble becomes unstable or too weak until the whole system is cleared out.

You can reinstitute a good bubble once the thing is flooded without disassembly, but it requires a good bit of patience, watchfulness and paper towels.

Thanks, do you cover it when you fill from the bottom as well? I thought that the hole had to be open in order to let the air escape as it's filling. This last attempt, I did fill from the bottom and had no leaking as before (didn't cover the hole while filling).

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Thanks, do you cover it when you fill from the bottom as well? I thought that the hole had to be open in order to let the air escape as it's filling. This last attempt, I did fill from the bottom and had no leaking as before (didn't cover the hole while filling).
given that your juice is at a good level (I fill all the way but at least you're adequate), I would say you are likely flooding.

If the chamber is REALLY flooded, then turning it upside down to clear it will indeed just let the juice pour from the chamber up the chimney and into the drip tip

Since you say it is working well before you put the tank and juice in, there are maybe a couple possibilities:
-the air intake is full of juice before you even assemble the tank - make sure you clear it before you screw the chimney assembly on
-you have juice entering the chamber through connections that should be sealed (I have a rubber O-ring at the bottom chimney connection). make sure the bottom of the chamber is screwed TIGHT, and that the chimney is as well, and maybe try putting a small O-ring at the chimney connection
-plug the air hole when you fill through the port; air can escape through the chimney/drip tip (never had a problem with this but who knows)
-make sure you wick is nowhere near the air intake, and that you have good space between coil-wicks-air intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread