Kayfun 3.1 and Lite Plus question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphanumeric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Orange County
On the 3.1, I'm able to completely remove the airflow adjustment screw and have the air come from both holes which I find to be the perfect draw for me. On the Lite, the airflow is too tight for me with no adjustment capability.
I purchased a Tobeco kayfun Lite with airflow adjustment screw but the adjustment screw is just a hex key on the underside of the base and doesnt do much- air still only flows through the 1 air hole. Also, with this design, it seems liquid could leak from the bottom if i completely remove that screw.
kayfun.jpg

My question is- On the kayfun Lite + (the version with the air flow screw on the SIDE next to the air hole), does this provide another source of air if it is removed? Or does it only function like the tobeco clone I purchased more or less?
Im looking to have the exact same draw as the 3.1 but from a smaller base like the KFL

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
The Kayfun lite plus has the airflow adjustment screw on the bottom, the the airflow hole on the side. The adjustment screw on the bottom just blocks the channel in the side airflow as you screw it in. The screw is a flathead grub screw, so when it is unscrewed to the point where it is flush with the bottom, the grub screw no longer blocks the airflow chamber.

I've never removed mine's completely, but because it does sit in the bottom like that, I don't see how it would improve airflow, unless you were using an ego sized sick battery without a beauty ring to block the bottom hole. Your typical mod would block airflow to that bottom hole, even if you took the grub screw out.

The draw on the KFL+ is definitely tighter than any other RBA I own. I have heard of some people that have drilled their air hole on the side out. But I have neither the knowledge or guts to try that.

heateris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
SEPA
Oh then I must be referring to the Russian 91% and its side airflow screw. Same question applies- Do you get more airflow if you remove the side screw

Yes. I have the FT $26 Russian style. Definitely more air flow with the screw removed. Plus no whistle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dochartaigh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2014
PA, United States
Oh then I must be referring to the Russian 91% and its side airflow screw. Same question applies- Do you get more airflow if you remove the side screw

Not really. You may have two air intake holes then, but they're still going through the same diameter tube inside the unit itself, so you still have the same bottleneck as before.

Neither the 91%, the Kayfun lite, or the Kayfun lite+ are able to have as much air flowing through them as the Kayfun 3.1 IMO. I've even drilled out my 91% and KFL+ (drilling, and tapering the hole did help with the whistling noise, FYI), but it really doesn't help airflow since the air comes in through a hole in the bottom pin of the 510 connection . If you drilled out that area more it would break...so there's no good solution.

What you can try is a nano kit on your 3.1 to make it a little shorter. FastTech has them for under $5. Capacity is majorly decreased, but it does make it a good deal smaller.

Last edited:

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Both of my mechs allow for airflow from the bottom of the atty base (in this case a KFL+) and I experimented with removing the screw altogether.

The previous posters have more or less surmised correctly

It did loosen the draw ever so slightly but not enough to make enough difference to me that I would be willing to potentially misplace the AFC screw (despite me having spares)

Unless you are having flooding issues it will not leak out of the AFC screw hole. Again a moot point if your PV top cap does not allow for airflow.

The 3.1 has a much looser draw PERIOD.

However I still prefer the lite plus. I prefer the fill system of the lite, the smaller size and I find the overflow chamber on the 3.1 to be more of PITA than anything

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I had to put some teflon tape on my air flow control screw to keep it from backing out which at one time almost locked my kayfun on to my magneto.

You may want to remove the screw altogether to prevent a situation like this if your getting enough wicking with it wide open.

I tend to use a higher VG mix so I need a slightly tighter draw for the e-liquid to keep up so I don't remove the screw.

Even with it turned in a bit it's still a nice airy draw.

twizted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Kentucky
I have a KFL+ V2 where the air control is on the bottom. If I take out the screw completely will it leak or anything? Thanks
I keep my bottom air control screw pretty loose & if I accidentally flood my chimney chamber, I get a few drops of liquid seeping out of the air control screw. I wouldn't take it completely out if I was you.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread