Status
Not open for further replies.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Thank ya, thank ya! I've never been much of a story teller but the attention to detail I have lots of.....maybe too much sometimes!

I'm definitely enjoying my new Reo! It's good that it got here when it did as both of the twins' atomizer called it quits yesterday morning. They must have sensed the Reo was within their midst!!

I still keep a 400 ego with a clearo in my purse filled with high nic for emergencies. It gets used too, mostly when DH forgets his REO (which is a mystery to me how he could "forget" it) or when a friend wants to use my REO (which is BS I can tell you!) or when I need a hit of nicotine NOW (especially in traffic when DH gets aggressive and starts cussing others out and driving like a maniac. I get defensive in my driving when asshats are around, so his anger gets me really tense). Sometimes a hit of some high nic is required for me to maintain my cool.

When someone changes lanes in front of DH into the safety zone he leaves, he goes wild. When someone follows too close, he refuses to move over to let them pass, then when they go around and pass him, he tracks them like a maniac to make sure they don't slow down since they passed him. He will slow down on purpose, he will cut in front of them, he comments incessantly on other people's insidious motives and bad driving, when HE is doing the same damn thing! I keep telling him to forget about other drivers motives, they have the same motives as he does: to get where they are going. I keep telling him to stop making it personal, because the other driver has probably already forgotten about him and he is all bent out of shape. Those moments require HIGH nic for me. I do want to add that he generally is a very safe driver, but man does his mouth start up when he feels "wronged" by some driver who isn't living up to his way of driving. :blink:

I guess what I am saying is, it is always a good idea to have a backup! And in my case, a backup with a big dose of nic where one hit will do it rather than sucking on my REO like crazy.

Last edited:

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
You are a hoot, Sean. I better see that Reos in person one of these days, brother!

Thanks Pat! Whenever you're free we'll need to take that trip up to Epharta....oops....Ephrata! I should work for PennDot with my spelling skillz!

RHP

I still keep a 400 ego with a clearo in my purse filled with high nic for emergencies. It gets used too, mostly when DH forgets his REO (which is a mystery to me how he could "forget" it) or when a friend wants to use my REO (which is BS I can tell you!) or when I need a hit of nicotine NOW (especially in traffic when DH gets aggressive and starts cussing others out and driving like a maniac. I get defensive in my driving when asshats are around, so his anger gets me really tense). Sometimes a hit of some high nic is required for me to maintain my cool.

When someone changes lanes in front of DH into the safety zone he leaves, he goes wild. When someone follows too close, he refuses to move over to let them pass, then when they go around and pass him, he tracks them like a maniac to make sure they don't slow down since they passed him. He will slow down on purpose, he will cut in front of them, he comments incessantly on other people's insidious motives and bad driving, when HE is doing the same damn thing! I keep telling him to forget about other drivers motives, they have the same motives as he does: to get where they are going. I keep telling him to stop making it personal, because the other driver has probably already forgotten about him and he is all bent out of shape. Those moments require HIGH nic for me. I do want to add that he generally is a very safe driver, but man does his mouth start up when he feels "wronged" by some driver who isn't living up to his way of driving. :blink:

I guess what I am saying is, it is always a good idea to have a backup! And in my case, a backup with a big dose of nic where one hit will do it rather than sucking on my REO like crazy.

I gotcha! I'm not planning to totally disown the twins until I have a second REO in hand! As much as I now despise them thanks to Syren, they did do a great job keeping my off of the stinkies and I do love them for that!

DH sounds sorta like me when it comes to dealing with driver challenged folks! I absolutely cannot without a shadow of a doubt deal with unobservant drivers......especially ones who drive vehicles that don't come equipped with turn signals and tailgaters!
Part of all this is from being in the military for 15 years and as Andre replied earlier about an eye for detail.....I have plenty of it! I've driven everything from M1 series tanks, tractor trailers, to HMMWV's (Humvee) and a lot of in between. Now when you do it in an area where your life depends on it and come back to the states and deal with those types of drivers, it's hard.....real hard at times. But I don't let it get to me to the point of becoming a complete and utter ...........anymore.......most times! Does that make any sense??
Now with the ambulance, that's a whole different can of worms right there. Lucky me I have a PA system and I find myself using it quite often. Your mind would be blown at the lack of attention people give to emergency vehicles. One of these days I wanna make a video of us responding to show exactly what we're up against, it's not pretty! I especially love the ones who leap frog ahead of the cars that do pull over.....then spaz out when they finally do realize they have mirrors that allow them to see behind them....and then they see us! That's right, they weren't pulling over for you....as much as you may think......your not important! Alright I'm getting off the rant podium, I could go all day long with this one!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I just look at other driver's as potential collisions. It isn't personal. If someone on the road looks like they need to get somewhere faster than I, or with less regard for others than I feel is safe, I give them their space and continue on. I don't take it personally, I don't get upset, I just get the hell out of their way and recall times when I was in a hurry and let them go on about their way.

As for emergency vehicles, if I even think I hear a siren I actually look around to find it and make sure I am not going to be in the way. What is so friggin' hard about that? That could one of my loved ones you are rushing to save... if more people thought like that the world would certainly be a safer place for everybody. However, I do laugh at people pulled over on a divided road when the emergency vehicle is on the other side, like it's gonna cross over the cement and high side itself sirens blaring? More idiots out of my way as I continue down the road. I guess it has to do with being an RN and seeing what comes to me in ICU... sometimes a few minutes can mean the world to a family. There is a huge difference between a life and death matter and simply driving to work like a madman to get an extra cup of coffee before shift which really isn't important in the scheme of things. And like you, I will get off my podium because I could also go on all day about it!

ETA: and don't think I am a prissy driver either, I love speed thus the car I drive :lol:

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
For some reason i thought Val said, "It isn't personal. If someone on the road looks like they need to be hit, then i will do it." :lol: Man i need to go bed or raid Sean's Ambulance :facepalm:

Truth be told, I have a lot of respect for your field of work because it saves lives. And you're both good at it.

image_zpse4a1144f.jpg

RHP

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
I just look at other driver's as potential collisions. It isn't personal. If someone on the road looks like they need to get somewhere faster than I, or with less regard for others than I feel is safe, I give them their space and continue on. I don't take it personally, I don't get upset, I just get the hell out of their way and recall times when I was in a hurry and let them go on about their way.

As for emergency vehicles, if I even think I hear a siren I actually look around to find it and make sure I am not going to be in the way. What is so friggin' hard about that? That could one of my loved ones you are rushing to save... if more people thought like that the world would certainly be a safer place for everybody. However, I do laugh at people pulled over on a divided road when the emergency vehicle is on the other side, like it's gonna cross over the cement and high side itself sirens blaring? More idiots out of my way as I continue down the road. I guess it has to do with being an RN and seeing what comes to me in ICU... sometimes a few minutes can mean the world to a family. There is a huge difference between a life and death matter and simply driving to work like a madman to get an extra cup of coffee before shift which really isn't important in the scheme of things. And like you, I will get off my podium because I could also go on all day about it!

ETA: and don't think I am a prissy driver either, I love speed thus the car I drive :lol:

I hear ya....boy do I hear ya! Between being on an ambulance and watching endless Russian dashcam videos, I have definitely put my driving style in check! I don't like to think that I speed rather I go with the flow. If no ones in front of me I'll usually go between 10 and 20 over depending where I am. Now if I'm going that fast and someone feels the need to be a few inches from my rear, then I'm dropping down to the posted speed limit, tough if they don't like it, I'd rather get hit doing the limit then any faster. If they continue to stay on my rear, well........then I hallucinate. Ya know those invisible squirelles can be a real mo fo!!! Military stickers on the back window tend to help a bit too I've found out!

Wait a minute......didn't I say I was getting off the podium?!?! LOL!

For some reason i thought Val said, "It isn't personal. If someone on the road looks like they need to be hit, then i will do it." :lol: Man i need to go bed or raid Sean's Ambulance :facepalm:

Truth be told, I have a lot of respect for your field of work because it saves lives. And you're both good at it.

image_zpse4a1144f.jpg

RHP

Whatever you do, don't ever let your heart stop around me! In 11 years doing this gig, I've never had someone walk out of the hospital on their own two feet after bringing them in doing the ole pump and blow!

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Whatever you do, don't ever let your heart stop around me! In 11 years doing this gig, I've never had someone walk out of the hospital on their own two feet after bringing them in doing the ole pump and blow!

We're gonna have to talk about the whole honesty thing later on, brother. Stick with me kid, I'll show you rocks the size of diamonds, Wait, what

RHP

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I have believe it or not! In January of 2008 I was awarded the VFW "Life Saving Award".

The one and only time I ever had someone go down in the real world and of course I actually knew him. DH came and got me off a bar stool ironically at a funeral at the VFW, asking, "do you want to go to work?" I was like are you f'ing kidding me? I have a shot in my hand. Then he clarified and said, "No, really, someone is down and turning blue!" I ran to the back door, took one look across the patio and screamed, "Call 911! Get him in recovery position, he is seizing!" then did the nice skid to a stop in my chaps (and am glad for the leather!). He was seizing and blue and I didn't think he had a chance in hell, but somehow managed to keep the brain alive long enough for the EMT's to get the shock on him. He didn't come out unscathed, there was some vision loss but he lived and ended up retiring to Florida. I hope to God I don't have to do it again, I can't take the stress out there with no equipment and red button to press for help. My boss was just ...... when I called and said, "A friend just coded, I had to do CPR, I am majorly stressed, not sure if they are in our ICU or not, but either way I am not coming to work tomorrow unless it is to visit him".

I am a real life hero at the VFW. All the old guys like to sit next to me now.
IMAG0083.jpg

ETA: I just wanted to prove that it could happen, so don't give up! The EMT's got lucky that day, they had an ICU RN on scene. I reported off to them perfectly, had his sweater off for them, rolled him so they could apply the pads and then stepped away to let them take over.

Last edited:

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
We're gonna have to talk about the whole honesty thing later on, brother. Stick with me kid, I'll show you rocks the size of diamonds, Wait, what

RHP

WHOA!!! LOL!! One very important rule in EMS, if it's wet, sticky, and didn't come from you.......DON'T TOUCH IT!

I have believe it or not! In January of 2008 I was awarded the VFW "Life Saving Award".

The one and only time I ever had someone go down in the real world and of course I actually knew him. DH came and got me off a bar stool ironically at a funeral at the VFW, asking, "do you want to go to work?" I was like are you f'ing kidding me? I have a shot in my hand. Then he clarified and said, "No, really, someone is down and turning blue!" I ran to the back door, took one look across the patio and screamed, "Call 911! Get him in recovery position, he is seizing!" then did the nice skid to a stop in my chaps (and am glad for the leather!). He was seizing and blue and I didn't think he had a chance in hell, but somehow managed to keep the brain alive long enough for the EMT's to get the shock on him. He didn't come out unscathed, there was some vision loss but he lived and ended up retiring to Florida. I hope to God I don't have to do it again, I can't take the stress out there with no equipment and red button to press for help. My boss was just ...... when I called and said, "A friend just coded, I had to do CPR, I am majorly stressed, not sure if they are in our ICU or not, but either way I am not coming to work tomorrow unless it is to visit him".

I am a real life hero at the VFW. All the old guys like to sit next to me now.
View attachment 257524

ETA: I just wanted to prove that it could happen, so don't give up! The EMT's got lucky that day, they had an ICU RN on scene. I reported off to them perfectly, had his sweater off for them, rolled him so they could apply the pads and then stepped away to let them take over.

That is an absolutely awesome story Val! Saving a friends life non the less....at the VFW!! :thumb:

I'm generally a white cloud, meaning most of the calls I get are rather routine and mundane at best. However when the manure hits the fan when I'm on.......it SPLATTERS, either that or I'm in 2 feet of it! I've had way more success dealing with nasty traumas then cardiac events. A lot of times we'll at best get a weak RoSC out in the field only to have them go out again at the hospital.......for good, usually due to them being a unwitnessed code. Have you learned the latest and greatest high speed CPR yet?

So what's in Ephrata, seeing you have missed the fair?

Our local B&M, Vapor Café. Ohh no I made it to the fair for the parade. DIVA is in the parades this year doing her baton/majorette thing. Got another one to go to tonight after work! Wait, wait......you're from South Africa.....how do you know about the fair?!?!? Lol!

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa
I probably shouldn't be asking this in an open forum but Sean, think I could ride shotgun with you in your Ambulance one of these days?? Russian dashboard cam style, yeeehaww! We'll breeze through 222 in no time! Of course, only on your off days.

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist!

RHP

Sorry Pat, they don't allow ride alongs for some odd reason unless you're an EMT student. I guess we scare them too much or they think it's gonna be a balls to the wall action packed kinda day! Most days is milling about the station doing odd jobs, detailing the rigs, playing
SC4, and lurking about ECF!

Besides, 222 is easy and not much of a challange unless there's a wreck......the real fun is the surface streets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread