A comparison review of the Penstyle models

Status
Not open for further replies.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
My quest for the perfect 801 (otherwise known as: Searching for a PINK eciggie)

After two weeks of researching the 801, asking numerous questions, and pestering everyone I could; I finally decided to get them all. (save the 4072.. it tanked in the reviews) Seeing as most are compatible, it seemed a logical decision to make. Then I had to find the best deal for each model!

I ended up purchasing:

801 generic SLB kit (in PINK) from Ecigsupply (2 batts, 1 atty, 5 carts, charger)
Joye 302 basic kit from Indyvaporshop (it was supposed to be the basic kit, but because it was labeled incorrectly, and I thought I was getting the Joye, Mike was decent enough to honer the website error: 1 batt, 1 atty, 5 carts, charger)
BE112 from ElectroniccigarettesofHouston (1 batt, 1 atty)
M201 from the classifieds (3 batts, 3 attys, 20 carts, charger)

They all arrived the same day, so I had the pleasure of testing them all out simulanteously.

Package Day!

At first..
The best two performers were the Joye302 and the Pink SLB. (I may have been partial to the SLB because it was pink, but that still didn't save it in the end.)

M201: although it came with all the bells and whistles in a pretty black velvet lined box, and I have enough parts to last a good while, it is the one sitting as my last reserve. The draw on it is SO difficult, sucking on it makes my eyes pop out, and all vapor escapes through my nose before I have a chance to inhale. Although the flavor is good, it's hardly worth the effort.

The SLB from ecigsupply was one of my favorites. Besides the fact that it's PINK, and one of the only reasons I purchased from this store, the vapor production, flavor, TH, all performed much better than I expected from the generic brand. HOWEVER.. it was short lived. By day two I discovered the second battery was acting, well, wonky. It would not draw. At all. I tried charging it, the light was green. I tried it on a different atty. Still no. So I sucked on the battery end by itself, and it lit! Ok, so I tried it again, and still nothing. At this point I was quite stumped, and tried charging it, just for the heck of it. Several hours later, I tried again, drawing as hard as I possibly could, and got a teeny tiny flicker. OK.. so then it got worse. The customer service leaves a little to be desired (but that's a different post).... long story short, I've had to mail back the bad battery, and I am waiting to see if they will replace it. Bad for me. Bad for them also, because I decided not to place a second order, based on the CS (or lack thereof) that I received today. And.. today, the battery I have left is acting up. When it does work; The draw is easy, the flavor is very rich, and lots of vapor.. but I'm left wondering if I got a bad set, or if it's the brand. And I'm left with one pink batteryless atty.

BE112: has now taken the second spot. At first use- because it's manual, and I prefer automatic- I found it difficult to compare apples to organges. I like to dangle my PV from my teeth, or hang it in my lanyard for easy access. The little button on the side, and the fact that I can't just 'puff away' makes for a harder comparison. BUT, when I do push the little button, the vapor flows effortlessly into my mouth and rolls out of every little nook and cranny. Probably the easiest draw of the four. The vapor is plentiful, the flavors are enhanced, I can taste every little nuance in my juices (it's like tasting them all over again) and the nice little long carts I found in my stash, help to cut down on leakage (yes, folks.. ALL of the 801's leak.. but it's worth it!) The only thing I wasn't impressed with, on this model, was the construction. I ordered this one in silver, and it is so light, it felt cheap. As compared to the SLB, M201, Joye302.. this one feels almost half the weight. Add to that, it was shipped loose in a thinly padded envelope, and I feared I had gotten some cheap knock-off from a fly by night company. My fears were put to rest once I had a chance to use it.

Which leads to my favorite of the four

The Joye302 is around my neck until the battery dies. I love it so much, I placed a second order (from the same company.. can you tell, I'm loyal to those that believe CS is just as important as product) for 2 extra batts and 2 extra attys. The Joye is a heavier model, I love the way it feels in my hand. Substantial. With it's shiny black exterior, and thick gold band, it looks and feels like an expensive pen that one might covert at that lawyers office downtown. The draw is smooth and easy, like the BE112, and the vapor rolls out of my mouth and fills the air around my face. The flavor on the Joye is the most intense of the four. It's strong and subtle, all at the same time. Like music, the low undertones are strongest on the inhale and the high notes of the juice are strongest on the exhale. It's a beautiful piece of equipment! I plan on keeping this one close to my heart! (in my trusty little lanyard)

So that's my take on the 801's I received this week. I'm quite thankful to all that helped me choose, and I'm happy to say the 801 model has lived up to my expectations. Now if I could just find it in pink...

Last edited by a moderator:

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
UPDATE:

After using all four models for 36 hours, I have discovered the following.

SLB 801 (pink): the second battery died too. I am now remembering why I only bought Joye for my 510.

M201: I needed to change the battery :oops: The draw is not nearly as hard, and has become my *better* back-up (I'm happy to report!)

BE112: still working like a charm

Joye302: Still tops, though it may be edged out of it's top spot by the BE112 if I can find an automatic battery at a decent price.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
The m201 atty is the best of all attys. I have tried types of atty and nothing is as good. The problem with the m201s are the batteries. Some have light draws, while others have extremely hard draws. Some have short cut offs while others cut off for a couple of minutes if you vape too fast. I now use the m201 atty with kr808d manual batteries using an 901-m201 adapter form altsmoke. The throat hit is almost as strong as a 5v device, with unbelievable amount of vapor and great taste. I vape 4ml a day and the attys last me about 5-6 weeks.

The m201 has a couple of problems...one is it can't be used with a 5v or 6v device....the attys will pop in no time. However, the throat hit is so good with my set up that I gave up my 5v mod. Also the m201 should only be used with PG eliquid. It seems if the liquid used is not 100% PG the attys will start dieing off really quick. To be honest it really works best with Dekang liquid....I have tried other brands of eliquid with the m201 and the life of the attys are cut way short because of it.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I see that we have similar tastes, Leanne. I also have tried all the penstyle models, the attys that is, (other than the RN4072, unless that is the "801 compatible" that Totally Wicked sells in its five-packs). In my case, however, I did it over a period of many months. The Joye302 is my favorite, for all the reasons you stated and it's been the most reliable, lasting far longer than the others.

The only difference (other than being less interested in pink than you;)) is that the BE112 is toward the bottom of my list, rather than toward the top.

I have a request and a recommendation:

The request is that you use the term 'penstyle' rather than '801' when referring to these. I know that many people do refer to penstyles as '801's, but 801 is short for DSE801 by SLB; and such usage is misleading and does a disservice both to the DSE801 and to the other models. [Yeah, I know, I'm a purist.:oops:]

The recommendation is to try using the Joye302 (or any penstyle other than M201) atty on a Kr8 battery (with an adapter from Good Prophets or Madvapes). I jokingly call it the DaBoomMod.:D IMO, the Joye302 is the best atomizer; the Kr8 (automatic) is the best non-mod battery. It puts out a true 3.7V (and 4.2V when fully charged). Most e-cig batts fall short of 3.7, even the penstyles. [The 510 is perhaps the worst at 3.1-3.2V.]

The combination is quite wonderful and I love the elegant length (especially in stainless steel, whether matte or shiny). The fact that the adapter adds a quarter inch to the length doesn't bother me at all.:)

Last edited:

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Well, hello Don~~

It was YOUR lovely article, that convinced me to try the penstyle :cool: After much reading, and asking questions, I still could not narrow it down to just one model. So the only other logical choice was to order them all. Much easier than ordering a total set (as in 4 attys, multiple batts, etc) and then finding I didn't like it. This way, I can interchange if needed, and pick my fav!

I am vaping right now on my BE112. It really is lovely, it has a cooler, smoother vapor production. If I recall correctly, you thought it possible that you received a bad atty? I am finding that it *takes* (if you will) better to the lighter cooler sweeter flavors. IE: my juicy fruit gum from Ms T's. I did not enjoy the heavier flavors on this model.

Many thanks for the suggestion. I will order the 808 (just traded mine away! lol) Do you happen to know any good (read: cheap) places? ... and wouldn't you know it, just got my Madvapes order yesterday :)

ah, c'est la vie, n'est pas?

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I totally agree with Don regarding the Kr808d batteries....they are the best non mod batteries. However, I strongly feel that no penstyle atty is even in the same league as the m201. The m201 batteries are terrible so the unit suffers because of that... But the atty is the best out there. If you're into throat hit and crap load of vapor...then m201atty/kr808d battery is the way to go.

I am no longer into DIY liquids and nonPG liquids. I only use different type of Dekang tobacco flavored liquids. With dekang liquids these attys perform incredibly well. They last forever. The current atty I have been using for over 5 weeks now. I never clean my attys and I don;t rotate my attys. I go through 4ml of liquid a day. This atty is giving hits just as good as day one. All m201 attys perform this way. However if your are into DIY liquids and other non Dekang (JC and Tastyvapor) liquids, then the m201 is not for you. With Tastyvapor liquids my attys would only last about 3-4 days.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Wow... thanks for all the info. Y'all are FAB-u-lous! I love this place :)

I love vapor... TH is not high on my list. And, since I'm realitively new (one month) I'm still testing out all the flavors and starting to dabble in DIY. I have discovered I don't care for TV (with the exception of AC) and Dekang. Still trying to find my "perfect vape"!

Thanks again for all the help. It's been truly a blessing!

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
UPDATE #2: I asked Raven to fix the title for me, to reflect the correct name of the ecig style: Penstyle.

Thank you Raven, for taking the time. Thank you Don for the correct information.

I am no longer able to edit the original review post. The "801" references, should correctly read: Penstyle. Hopefully, I shall be forgiven that little faux pas in my noobness ;)

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wow... thanks for all the info. Y'all are FAB-u-lous! I love this place :)

I love vapor... TH is not high on my list. And, since I'm realitively new (one month) I'm still testing out all the flavors and starting to dabble in DIY. I have discovered I don't care for TV (with the exception of AC) and Dekang. Still trying to find my "perfect vape"!

Thanks again for all the help. It's been truly a blessing!

Then I suggest you follow Don's suggestion and get some KR808d batteries and get the 901-801 adapter. That way you can boost the performance of your penstyles. I really like the manual Kr808d batteries...you might want to get a couple of those to test out. I really think the manual batteries are the way to go. Another suggestion would be to get the adapter from Altsmoke.com since their adapter works with all penstyles attys including the m201.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Then I suggest you follow Don's suggestion and get some KR808d batteries and get the 901-801 adapter. That way you can boost the performance of your penstyles. I really like the manual Kr808d batteries...you might want to get a couple of those to test out. I really think the manual batteries are the way to go. Another suggestion would be to get the adapter from Altsmoke.com since their adapter works with all penstyles attys including the m201.

Most def! I have already ordered the adapter, now I need to find a decent priced 808 battery. I actually prefer the auto, partly because I have trouble with my hands sometimes (RA) so it cuts down how much "usage" my hands get during the day ;)

How does the Altsmoke adapter differ (that it would work with all models)?

I had an auto 808, manual 808, and a passthrough. Odd thing, I didn't see much power from the units. I was using them with the cartos, but (at the time) I liked my 510 MUCH better. Do the 808s perform differently too?

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I think Puresmoker has pretty good prices on the 808 batteries....wait a minute....they only sell the manual type. I checked out the suppliers that I normally use...they are all selling only the manual type. Eastmall.net has great prices if you don't mind buying from China. They deliver in 5 days.

If used correctly, 808 Cartos can be as good as the 510 as far as performance. I used them for a long time. Find my old post regarding how to use cartos correctly if you're interested in them. I haven't used the cartomizers since I got my m201. I just don't want to take the chance and inhale cart material fumes. The chance of burning the cart material is way to high with the cartomizers.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I think Puresmoker has pretty good prices on the 808 batteries....wait a minute....they only sell the manual type. I checked out the suppliers that I normally use...they are all selling only the manual type. Eastmall.net has great prices if you don't mind buying from China. They deliver in 5 days.

If used correctly, 808 Cartos can be as good as the 510 as far as performance. I used them for a long time. Find my old post regarding how to use cartos correctly if you're interested in them. I haven't used the cartomizers since I got my m201. I just don't want to take the chance and inhale cart material fumes. The chance of burning the cart material is way to high with the cartomizers.

Five days? WOW.. that is much quicker than I thought!

I haven't decided whether or not to deal with cartos. Feedback lately = not so good. May hold off for a while and get a better hang on these Penstyles. I still plan to pick up the 808 batt tho. My adapter should be here soon.

On interchanging the parts: I know the M201 isn't compatible with the other penstyles, correct? That is not much of a problem, because that kit came with 3 attys and 3 batts. But my other ones (the 801, 302, BE112); I found don't all work together either. Most of them do (and I cannot remember which one at the moment) but one of those three does not work with the other ones.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Nice review! I started with penstyles (RN4072 was my first, which is a low bridge and I still love those today!!). Typically, I use a 302 or the RN4072s. (Both are low bridge). I went back to a DSE801 just to refresh my memory last week. Vapes fine, just is different.

These penstyles really shine at 4.2v and have lots less leaking with a little extra bit of higher voltage. 5v is awesome (I use a passthrough with them too). I recommend a battery mod unit (3.7v Li-Ion runs at 4.2v at first charge) for the Penstyle.

If you are interested in trying the RN4072, VaporKings.com has them at FAB prices. $5.95 (black or white). Yeah... I know... no pink!!

Sometimes the attys/batteries won't be interchangable. I believe it is the center post difference in height on the batteries, as all my attys seem to work just fine on a standard 801 connection (on my mods).

I used to put tiny colored stars on my attys/bats that worked well together. Also, sometimes pulling up the center post on the atty or battery will make it work better. Just do it gently! Worse case, you can use the staple mod to get good connection with most any penstyle atty/battery combination http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-center-conductor-gap-penstyle-atomizers.html

Good to see some penstyle love on the forum! *looks around for Tribal to show up*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread