Can protected cr2's be used in series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
Hi guys. Please bear with me as I'm not really fluent in all this electrical techno bable. Is there any way to use protected cr2's in series to get 6v on a mechanical battery mod? Just for reference, I'm using Ultrafire 15270 600mah 3v batteries.

I read a while back that the cut off on the protection circuit is 5v so you need a regulator to use these. Is that true? I'm using a Mako Midi and it works awesome with a 14500 btw.

Any help would be awesome.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I've made several 5-6v mods using nothing but CR2s. They're the only batteries I've used in mods, but I will need to get some 14500 soon. I use LifePO4 and haven't had any issues with them exploding, but I have had one or two rapid discharge and get very hot. Which is what they are supposed to do instead of exploding. I've used them with and without 5v regulators. As with anything they are use at your own risk, but 3.7 just does not cut it for me! At least until I got the LR attys from Nhaler, now I need to find a use for all of these CR2s lol.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
The protection circuit is designed to OPEN when there is to much current draw OR the voltage goes below a pre-set value.

The current value is different for different MFG so ?? what your are at is unknown ( ask the MFG or seller )

The low voltage is usually in the 2.75 volt range ( this varies also ! )

as always no exact answer , this is a changing target for the MFG they are learning and changing as the technology develops

Low res. attys and High voltage will blow the circuit in the battery ( based on the current set point ) so use a higher resistance atty and you will have less problems with them opening up on you !

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
The protection circuit is designed to OPEN when there is to much current draw OR the voltage goes below a pre-set value.

The current value is different for different MFG so ?? what your are at is unknown ( ask the MFG or seller )

The low voltage is usually in the 2.75 volt range ( this varies also ! )

as always no exact answer , this is a changing target for the MFG they are learning and changing as the technology develops

Low res. attys and High voltage will blow the circuit in the battery ( based on the current set point ) so use a higher resistance atty and you will have less problems with them opening up on you !
Awesome! Thanks a bunch, and I'll give those high resistance attys a try.

KarrMcDebt

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Corvallis, Oregon, United States
In theory it should be fine, I use three cr123 batteries in my Surefire flashlight. I don't think that it is using them in series that is the actual problem, but instead its the massive drain that the heating coil requires.

I however will not use any unprotected batteries, I already had a meltdown caused by a short circuit using a battery that I THOUGHT was protected. (It came in my 510 usb passthough.)

That battery went to recycling. Since then I won't buy any batts for e-cigs that aren't protected, and I mean over discharge, over charge and short circuit protection.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
Well after doing some research, this is my conundrum....

Do I use a hv atty? From what I've read this might defeat the purpose of a 6v device.

Do I use unprotected cr2's and risk them blowing up? Maybe LifePO's instead?

Or do I just use a LR atty and forget about the whole "real" 6v thing? Right now I'm leaning toward this option.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Do I use unprotected cr2's and risk them blowing up? Maybe LifePO's instead?
With some common sense many use the unprotected CR2's. The 3V Tenergy LiPO's would be a good choice. With a Joye atty they should deliver a nice 5.18V vape, but they may not fit your device as they are bigger (17x34mm) than CR2's (15x27mm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread