0mg vs 12mg flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feryll

Mar 28, 2014
Hungary, Budapest
I am new to vaping.
I used to smoke strong cigs but I gave up regular smoking and I only smoked when we hit the pub with my friends etc. When I did that I smoked about 10 strong cigs at once and a pack during the whole day.
I started with 0mg liquids (because I had to order nic liquids from abroad [stupid enough but you can only buy 0mg liquids in Hungary])
The 0mg (70% VG 30% PG) was fine and I didn't really crave for nicotine but the thoat hit.

Yesterday my 12mg liquids arrived. They are from a good maker but to me they don't have a rich taste like the 0mg ones had and I liked the throat hit but it also gives me a peppery hit which irritates my throat. I haven't experienced this with analogues. (only when I started)
Should I lower the nic content to 6mg or even 0mg ?

ps: Even though I am really a newbie I can't imagine going back to tobacco. I'd rather chain smoke 0mg all day.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Hello, Feryll.

That "peppery" sensation/taste is from the nicotine. Generally speaking, PG provides more throat hit; VG makes for thicker vapor, but it can also add a little overall sweetness and mute flavor.

Since you're not a daily smoker, try staying with a very low (under 6mg/ml) or zero nicotine e-liquid with a higher PG content (for throat hit).

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
I quite smoking after 50+ years of a PAD habit and started with 24mg nicotine. Withing a month I had gone from 24mg down to 12 mg followed by 6mg and now 0mg. I do occasionally buy 6mg juice but much prefer the 0mg. Now I also like my juices 50/50 or heavier with VG over PG as I also get more PG than VG it bothers my throat. Now I find I also don't like the heavy throat hit any longer and prefer the pure taste of the juice without the nicotine which to me adds a bitterness to most I've tasted. I also do some dripping and for that it is strictly 0mg for me.

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
I agree with K_Tech, the nicotine does change the flavor of juice and if you never were a regular smoker, I would stick below 6mg.

You can mix down the 12mg with the 0mg to give you 6mg (mixing it 50/50) but I assume they are different flavors since you stated they are from different vendors. You may be surprised by mixing them though, I mix different flavors all the time.

No point giving yourself a nicotine addition you never really had in the first place.

VAscooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Springfield, MO
Hello, Feryll.

That "peppery" sensation/taste is from the nicotine. Generally speaking, PG provides more throat hit; VG makes for thicker vapor, but it can also add a little overall sweetness and mute flavor.

Since you're not a daily smoker, try staying with a very low (under 6mg/ml) or zero nicotine e-liquid with a higher PG content (for throat hit).

I agree. I've mixed up higher vg batches and haven't been satisfied with the throat hit.

NineToez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Los Angeles, CA USA
Since you mentioned flavor was better with 0mg, in my experience some nicotine actually helped flavor. I bought 0mg and 6mg of a vanilla custard and Cutwood's Unicorn Milk recently. I had them both also in a 12mg, however generally prefer a 6mg since I mostly drip and 12 can be a bit rough, but the flavor was definitely better with nicotine IMO. The taste difference would be similar to drinking Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper with 0mg nic tasting like diet; flavor is there, but tastes slightly different.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I've found that a higher PG juice irritates my throat. I dunno, maybe it's just me?

It's not just you. Normally if a vendor allows me a choice, I'll order a 50/50 mix. I can't say that higher PG levels irritate my throat, but they do seem to dry it out faster for some reason.

I agree with K_Tech, the nicotine does change the flavor of juice and if you never were a regular smoker, I would stick below 6mg.

You can mix down the 12mg with the 0mg to give you 6mg (mixing it 50/50) but I assume they are different flavors since you stated they are from different vendors. You may be surprised by mixing them though, I mix different flavors all the time.

No point giving yourself a nicotine addition you never really had in the first place.

I agree with that.

Since you mentioned flavor was better with 0mg, in my experience some nicotine actually helped flavor. I bought 0mg and 6mg of a vanilla custard and Cutwood's Unicorn Milk recently. I had them both also in a 12mg, however generally prefer a 6mg since I mostly drip and 12 can be a bit rough, but the flavor was definitely better with nicotine IMO. The taste difference would be similar to drinking Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper with 0mg nic tasting like diet; flavor is there, but tastes slightly different.

It seems to me that with some e-liquids, the nicotine helps to enhance the flavor, and becomes a part of the overall "experience", if you will. With others, I get the flavor of the e-liquid, and the nicotine seems to stand alone.

Hopefully that makes some sense...

TotlKaos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
New Jersey
Hello, Feryll.

I also agree.. between the PG % and the nicotine it can give a much different vape for you. Best to find what you like and prefer so you don't give up. You can always get some juice that is close to the same flavor with 0% nicotine and thin out the mix (this is what I do at times)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread