Not open for further replies.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
I don't think anyone needs TWO $100+ battery holders

I think you summed it up in the OP - you set out to create a great device for under 100 dollars, and you did... now your goal is to make money..

Page 4 post 34 of this thread I said, "...6)There will always be someone wanting you to pay them to take your product and it you don't you are a rip-off, cheat and a liar. Pay them no mind!

Thank you Casey C for proving my statement true.

Casey C, What has hurt you so badly in your life that you feel the need to try and hurt Steve in order to feel better about yourself?

Steve had a vision about how to improve his vaping experience and then took a huge risk in order to share that vision with other folks that share his passion for PVs. Those of us that choose to share that vision is our good fortune. You are right no one "needs" a battery holder at any price. No one needs to smoke or vape. These are choices, period. But it makes no sense to me to come into a suppliers forum, like this one, and attack that supplier. Constructive criticisms, healthy debate, that's one thing. But personal attacks, "...now your goal is to make money" is uncalled for and demeans yourself.

Buy PS or don't buy from PS. Have better ideas, fine. But don't misplace your anger and hurt on someone else that did nothing to you personally. That is disrespective to Steve, everyone else on this thread but more importantly it is disrespectful to yourself. As an adult you do know better.

Last edited:

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
Page 4 post 34 of this thread I said, "...6)There will always be someone wanting you to pay them to take your product and it you don't you are a rip-off, cheat and a liar. Pay them no mind!

Thank you Casey C for proving my statement true.

Casey C, What has hurt you so badly in your life that you feel the need to try and hurt Steve in order to feel better about yourself?

Steve had a vision about how to improve his vaping experience and then took a huge risk in order to share that vision with other folks that share his passion for PVs. Those of us that choose to share that vision is our good fortune. You are right no one "needs" a battery holder at any price. No one needs to smoke or vape. These are choices, period. But it makes no sense to me to come into a suppliers forum, like this one, and attack that supplier. Constructive criticisms, healthy debate, that's one thing. But personal attacks, "...now your goal is to make money" is uncalled for and demeans yourself.

Buy PS or don't buy from PS. Have better ideas, fine. But don't misplace your anger and hurt on someone else that did nothing to you personally. That is disrespective to Steve, everyone else on this thread but more importantly it is disrespectful to yourself. As an adult you do know better.

well, thank you for that bit of armchair psychoanalysis

I think Steve will recover, especially now that you've come to his defense

so as not to make this two useless posts I'll reiterate my opinions, a $25 dollar increase is ridiculous and suspect, and please keep the 3.7v option available on the prodigy

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
my alternative opinion, steve, is to see what you can come up with for a "bargain" mod. based on your post, i don't know that it's even possible to create a low cost, quality device, but if you had something at a lower price point JUST to catch the attention and wallets of newcomers...i think that would help set a trend for them to see your prices as reasonable for the quality they offer.

Flitz .... Excellent idea bud .... This leads me to a way of making a PT without needing a whole seperate device. I stumbled on, I believe Apostle's post, regarding a delrin USB insert for Protege users. I have gone to the engineers to see if we can make this a reality .... Thus being able to transform your Protege it to a 5 volt usb ... Hoping it 1/2 the price of a complete new device ....

I was going to buy a protege.. no chance now, not paying 25 dollars more for the same product just because I didn't order early enough... then I saw the price changes and thought, well I guess I could get a prodigy.. but now that I see your plan is to limit its function, not very likely..

I don't think anyone needs TWO $100+ battery holders

I think you summed it up in the OP - you set out to create a great device for under 100 dollars, and you did... now your goal is to make money..

Understood Casey, and I appreciate your honesty. We made a great device, disillusioned by what we were originally quoted. Once the production run came to an end, and the shop when back and looked at materials and total hours spent, the next production when up quite a bit (roughly 45%) Is my goal to make money? Absolutely .... But not in a negative sense. A business operates around margins .... Margins set to cover operating expenses. PureSmoker has been around for 15 months, longer than any other supplier on these boards minus Janty ... We have taken import hits, been upside down on a few things, but have continued to try and pave the way as a leading ecig supplier. If I were in it for quick money, I wouldn't continue to sit here and strive to make better products, and would have moved on long ago ....

There are plenty of quality PVs out there that didn't just raise their prices 30%, and I don't for a second think he was running a charity at $90.

But a 30% price hike for the exact same product makes me think of cigarettes.. which is what made me stop using them

I see you have no comment on the neutering of the prodigy

Casey ... I have gone over WHY there is a price increase. You seem to think quality stateside can compete with Chinese Product and Labor .... Unfortunately, that just isn't the case. I used to import ecigs at $15/kit ... Those days have long since passed .... Making that identical ecig stateside, with the intricacy of the solder joints/led/custom battery/chip/etc... would easily cost $150+ stateside ....

Appreciate the kind words Limon/Vapnaway/Sheer ...

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
well, thank you for that bit of armchair psychoanalysis

I think Steve will recover, especially now that you've come to his defense

so as not to make this two useless posts I'll reiterate my opinions, a $25 dollar increase is ridiculous and suspect, and please keep the 3.7v option available on the prodigy

45% increase on the next 2 production runs ... what's suspect about a shop realizing they weren't hitting their margins, thus passing it on to the client :confused:

I had a choice to either deal with it, or stick my tail between the legs, and import everything from China once again ... an ugly choice at best ...

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
45% increase on the next 2 production runs ... what's suspect about a shop realizing they weren't hitting their margins, thus passing it on to the client :confused:

I had a choice to either deal with it, or stick my tail between the legs, and import everything from China once again ... an ugly choice at best ...

I can appreciate that, but at least throw in some juice or something, soften the blow so to speak

and any comment on the new prodigy voltage?

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I can appreciate that, but at least throw in some juice or something, soften the blow so to speak.

and any comment on the new prodigy voltage?

I have thought about the juice Casey, and will likely make this a possibility in the near future if I can ever get my USA juice campaign launched. Will keep you posted!

Prodigy .... Dedicated likely 5 - 5.5v device, however, will have RCR *Dummy* Cells for those that prefer 3.7v ...

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
I have thought about the juice Casey, and will likely make this a possibility in the near future if I can ever get my USA juice campaign launched. Will keep you posted!

Prodigy .... Dedicated likely 5 - 5.5v device, however, will have RCR *Dummy* Cells for those that prefer 3.7v ...

but will the voltage regulator or resistor used to reach 5v be by-passable to allow 3.7v

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
USA juice campaign? You thought we weren't paying attention.... didn't you? :)
Haha, yeah, that is good news, i remember him mentioning that a couple of times before, just subtle hints, but yeah, this is the most direct mention of it!!!!

I am assuming there aren't any details yet, but if there are please spill the metaphorical beans.

Gibby

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Personally I think a 5v *only* Prodigy is a good move. Eliminating a traditional resistor is also good. Less complexity = less problems.

Now that the Protege is out and provides 3.7v (really around 4.2v for hours) for a long time per charge I don't know why anyone would want a 3.7v Prodigy.

I suppose if you like to switch back and forth a lot? Can't imagine wanting to change batts and switches all the time. Either get one of each to suit your mood or get a 5v Prodigy and use a standard batt when that's too much for you.

Also, several people have commented that their Protege's perform the same or close to the passthrough. The Protege may not "make all other 3.7 volt devices obsolete," but it kinda does the passthrough. Why have to fool with a wire and a separate power supply when you can just use the Protege? Adding the option to simply take out the battery and screw in a usb cord is a great idea for those that want the extra half volt or so.

BTW Steve, I don't know whether your 510 attys are "genuine joye's" but they have much more of the exposed wicking than any I've seen. So far it's easily the best performer I've used - very little primer, and broken in very quickly. Great vapor and great flavor. That and your 36mg 555 on a cheapo passthrough are rocking!

Now if that damn light would turn green so I can fire it up on this beautiful little piece of stainless steel I got from you...

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
I like the modularity of being able to swap out switches for 3.7, 5, 6v. I had decided Prodigy is what I want. One of the reasons was because I plan to use it primarily at 3.7 and be able to get the 5v boost when I want it.
Yeah the only thing has really said to have taken away was the highest level output 6v. You can still do the 3.7, and the 5/5.5 or whatever, just now its switching batteries rather than switches. you will most likely switch from 2 3v batts to 1 3.7v batt and a dummy batt to get 3.7.

Then again this is all still speculation as he hasn't finalized the design yet.

V/R

Gibby

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
I like the modularity of being able to swap out switches for 3.7, 5, 6v. I had decided Prodigy is what I want. One of the reasons was because I plan to use it primarily at 3.7 and be able to get the 5v boost when I want it.

Why not get a Protege and screw on a passthrough adapter and plug it up to a 5v power source when you feel the need?

If you're primarily looking for 3.7v the Protege is much smaller, more convenient, and much less conspicuous in public.

Xenogy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Washington
Why not get a Protege and screw on a passthrough adapter and plug it up to a 5v power source when you feel the need?

If you're primarily looking for 3.7v the Protege is much smaller, more convenient, and much less conspicuous in public.

I don't care how it looks in public and I don't like being tethered to a power source. Also why buy 2 devices for $180 when I can buy 1 device for $95-125 that does it all? Also with the current switches I can replace them myself if they go bad.

Xenogy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
Washington
Yeah the only thing has really said to have taken away was the highest level output 6v. You can still do the 3.7, and the 5/5.5 or whatever, just now its switching batteries rather than switches. you will most likely switch from 2 3v batts to 1 3.7v batt and a dummy batt to get 3.7.

Then again this is all still speculation as he hasn't finalized the design yet.

V/R

Gibby

Interesting. That would be cool if it can be done. But it seems like 3v would be the output instead of 3.7v

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
Now that the Protege is out and provides 3.7v (really around 4.2v for hours) for a long time per charge I don't know why anyone would want a 3.7v Prodigy....

Now I am getting a bit concerned...I just ordered my Protoge the other day because it is supposed to be the same vaping at 3.7V as on the regular models s.a. the 901, 801, 510 on regular batteries not the harsher higher voltage.

Does this mean the Protoge will not "taste" the same due to it being at 4.2v?

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
Now I am getting a bit concerned...I just ordered my Protoge the other day because it is supposed to be the same vaping at 3.7V as on the regular models s.a. the 901, 801, 510 on regular batteries not the harsher higher voltage.

Does this mean the Protoge will not "taste" the same due to it being at 4.2v?
Don't fret, the reference to 4.2 is max output of the batt at full charge. It will be similar to a regular 3.7v vape. You will get a longer "Max output" time period, and a longer "normal output" time period. So the life cycle of the vaping that you will go through is the same, just longer.

hope that helps.

Gibby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread