Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I got mine on amazon for 3.66 with free shipping (amazon prime). Just a warning, its 5 feet of tubing, and it comes in a 5-6 foot long tube. My gf was not pleased LOL.

Here is the link:

Amazon.com: Stainless Steel 304 Hypodermic Round Tubing: Industrial & Scientific

I'm going to order the 24 gauge myself, as based on this thread that gauge will fit through the cup holes without modification. If I can get the same stability of electrical contact plus a little extra stability from the increased gauge, it'd be nice. If it doesn't work, not much ventured...

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
The Vivi Nova and Genisis atomizers seem to have taken much of the attention lately and it's been sometime since this thread has been updated. While I have several Genisis type tanks/atomizers, I haven't had much luck in getting them wicked consistently with the amount of vapor I've been getting with CE2s. That has left me wanting. Unfortunately, my current circumstance does not afford me to buy a Vivi Nova. I know that you can get them on the cheap but I can't still justify the expense. I do however still have a bunch of CE2s, used and some unused. With the used ones, I've decided to make a poor man's version of the Vivi Nova instead. This had me revisit the repairable CE2 thread and I just want to share my solderless version.

Starting from a used and burnout CE2, I removed the wick and disassembled the parts to clean and remove the solders.

Using a 316L/24 gauge stainless steel wire, I've cut 2 wires (2 inch and 3 inch lengths). I wrapped and twisted these on the post and base of the CE2.

Added some PTFE shrink wrap tubing, reattached the ceramic cup and folded the wires to secure the cup.

I then proceeded in making a wick using a 32 gauge kanthal wire and silica wick (and yes, I know that a cotton wick would work and is safer). Tested and installed.

These should stave off my Vivi Nova envy for now.

Cheers!

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Tested and installed.

Just curious, what are they installed in? Is that a DC tank, a homemade tank? Looks nice.

ETA: John, 1 year on the forum and at least 75 posts makes you an ECF Veteran. Get the posts in and on the 20th (this was a leap year so there's an extra day) your status will automatically be upgraded - or when you reach the post number any time after the 20th. :D

Last edited:

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
Just curious, what are they installed in? Is that a DC tank, a homemade tank? Looks nice.

ETA: John, 1 year on the forum and at least 75 posts makes you an ECF Veteran. Get the posts in and on the 20th (this was a leap year so there's an extra day) your status will automatically be upgraded - or when you reach the post number any time after the 20th. :D

Those are homemade tanks using a garden hose connector for the caps and a syringe tube. I've used a DCT tank as well although the syringe tube (polypropylene) would be cheaper and easier to replace. You just need a 510 to Ego connector (from GreenHouseOne) in the bottom cap of the tank for the CE2 to be screwed into. This would be similar in concept with the Vivi Nova wherein you just screw in the atty head.

Thanks for the reminder. Yup, it's been more than a year since I quit smoking and I've been pretty much a lurker. I'll probably make some posts in making my home made tanks.

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
The Vivi Nova and Genisis atomizers seem to have taken much of the attention lately and it's been sometime since this thread has been updated. While I have several Genisis type tanks/atomizers, I haven't had much luck in getting them wicked consistently with the amount of vapor I've been getting with CE2s. That has left me wanting. Unfortunately, my current circumstance does not afford me to buy a Vivi Nova. I know that you can get them on the cheap but I can't still justify the expense. I do however still have a bunch of CE2s, used and some unused. With the used ones, I've decided to make a poor man's version of the Vivi Nova instead. This had me revisit the repairable CE2 thread and I just want to share my solderless version.

Starting from a used and burnout CE2, I removed the wick and disassembled the parts to clean and remove the solders.

Using a 316L/24 gauge stainless steel wire, I've cut 2 wires (2 inch and 3 inch lengths). I wrapped and twisted these on the post and base of the CE2.

Added some PTFE shrink wrap tubing, reattached the ceramic cup and folded the wires to secure the cup.

I then proceeded in making a wick using a 32 gauge kanthal wire and silica wick (and yes, I know that a cotton wick would work and is safer). Tested and installed.

These should stave off my Vivi Nova envy for now.

Cheers!

How stiff is that SS wire? Looks quite bendy so my question is does it retain it's shape when wrapping the resistant wiring around them.

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
How stiff is that SS wire? Looks quite bendy so my question is does it retain it's shape when wrapping the resistant wiring around them.
Since the stainless steel wire only protrudes just a little bit and the kanthal wire is wrapped around it at the slit of the ceramic cup, the stainless steel wire does not bend. I even use a small long nose pliers to pull and wrap the kanthal wire tightly around the stainless steel wire. Let me see if I can take a close up picture of it.

I hope the image below would be clear enough. I've move the wick away to reveal where I make the kanthal wire wrap around the stainless steel wire.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread