Status
Not open for further replies.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
In a nutshell l3oertjie, we're having issues maintaining solid contact between the coils and the stainless steel tubes. Leads to intermittent misfiring/sub optimal firing. The hypothesis at the moment is, the SS tubes we're using (27 gauge) are too thin to create enough of a 'pinch' effect on the coil near the cup, so they don't have great contact/current.

Have you guys tried the needle and pin option yet? Something like this:
FatAttyside.jpg

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Have you guys tried the needle and pin option yet? Something like this:
FatAttyside.jpg

Thats a very good idea. I'm still in the process of gathering what I need to rebuild one and I have been pondering for better build options. I will definitely consider this one.

Can you possibly tell me what gauge tube/needles you used. And those are cut SS safety pins right?

Thanks.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Thats a very good idea. I'm still in the process of gathering what I need to rebuild one and I have been pondering for better build options. I will definitely consider this one.

Can you possibly tell me what gauge tube/needles you used. And those are cut SS safety pins right?

Thanks.

Hi Sad,

Those are 0.8x38mm syringe needles - not sure about the gauge and yes, S/S safety pins cut to length.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Sad,

Those are 0.8x38mm syringe needles - not sure about the gauge and yes, S/S safety pins cut to length.

Thanks. Having done some research, that size needle size is not popular in the U.S. but I can still get it.

What is the best heating wire? I would say kanthal....but there are many different sizes. And many opinions over using nichrome or kanthal.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
did you happen to figure out what gauge that correlates to Sad?

I guess its important to also make sure your safety pins are properly matched to the hypodermic tube otherwise they won't go in...

Wicki says 21. Don't see why 20 or 22 wouldn't work so long as your needle is small enough to get in

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
4. Crimp one end of each needle/tube you just cut so they are flat (this is so the wire goes between the tube and cup and not into the tubing)

So I thought (no disrespect to bulli) why not?

I plugged the ends of the coil right into the hypodermic tubing, they JUST fit. then I took a pair of needle nose pliers and crimped the hell out of the end. You'd be surprised how tight they hold.

I wrapped a wick with 32 gauge nichrome (8 wraps LOL = 2.4 ohms). Its a little awkward with the tubes hanging out like crochet needles, but it works.

Checked for electrical continuity with the meter, bingo, we have a steady beep

The post tube I tucked under the heat shrink and got it *real* right

The base tube I left long, its actually contacting the inner base, sitting between the black silicone and outer wall

Filled and vaped. This thing is ROCKING. No solder!

BigBulli

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
So I thought (no disrespect to bulli) why not?

I plugged the ends of the coil right into the hypodermic tubing, they JUST fit. then I took a pair of needle nose pliers and crimped the hell out of the end. You'd be surprised how tight they hold.

I wrapped a wick with 32 gauge nichrome (8 wraps LOL = 2.4 ohms). Its a little awkward with the tubes hanging out like crochet needles, but it works.

Checked for electrical continuity with the meter, bingo, we have a steady beep

The post tube I tucked under the heat shrink and got it *real* right

The base tube I left long, its actually contacting the inner base, sitting between the black silicone and outer wall

Filled and vaped. This thing is ROCKING. No solder!

When I created this I wanted the fastest way of making a new coil, not something more time consuming than soldering a new one in place...I originally used hypodermic tubing in place of the needles but did not crimp b/c I was using tubing so small I found it too much of a pain to get the coil into the tubing.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Understood, but the thing is, the coil can be yanked out, and the hypodermic tubing can be 'decrimped' with needle nose pliers to expland the hole again

Without solder, its easy to pull em up, open the hole, and replace the coil

Haven't done it yet of course :)

I do like your hook design better, issue I've been having (some posts back) is maintaining solid contact between the coil and hooks on the one hand, and avoiding tearing the whole thing apart when I wiggle the shell off

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Woah....

!!!!????
Yep and it makes me sick to see him using the Marine emblem. Sent a report to the Marine corp. He screwed several members, don't understand why he was only banned from classies...

His classified privileges were removed. Are you saying he started a new thread in classifieds? Or he is posting in the classified? He shouldn't be able to post, if he is, send me a link.

j0ker

Last edited:

BigBulli

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
Yep and it makes me sick to see him using the Marine emblem. Sent a report to the Marine corp. He screwed several members, don't understand why he was only banned from classies...

His classified privileges were removed. Are you saying he started a new thread in classifieds? Or he is posting in the classified? He shouldn't be able to post, if he is, send me a link.

j0ker

I was told everything was reset as far as claasifieds go, I was going to trade my p10 plus last week depending on the offers I got. As far as the Marine comment I earned it, I served my country. Who are you to take that away from anyone?

BigBulli

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
Hey BigBulli you got any money yet to send me back the money you stole from me me selling me crap in the classies that got you banned from the classies...

Everyone who filed a claim through e pay recieved a refund. If you received something damaged or not as described you were welcome to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread