I think I just destroyed 3 510 atomizers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I read somewhere that you can use pure grain alcohol and I've been using it with no problem...cleans them very quickly.
I use EverClear, it's 95% grain alcohol by volume (190 proof)...cuts nearly any gunk you may have, but I use that when the atty gets a little sluggish. All the juice in the mesh down in has a way of thickening after it's been heated a lot and does sometimes cut airflow enough to create more gunk.
When an atty is done, it's just done, so not sure if cleaning does prolong life. Just normal expansion and contraction of on and off heating will do that to the coil, just like a light bulb. Some last longer than others, even within the same class or types of attys.
If Everclear wasn't so expensive it would be a good window-degrimer as well. And have a shot when you get done! (But I use it also for mixing my DIY juice components as well, the Ethyl Maltol and Rustica absolute, so wouldn't want to waste it @ $20 a quart!)
I would advise people using isopropyl to be sure to rinse it thoroughly before letting atty dry.

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
Make sure the atty is really dry before you use it. Also, repriming can be as many as 8 drops.

My suggestion is to dry the atty in some sort of airflow...

You also get much faster drying with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

If I mix a cup of isopropyl alcohol into a jar of penutbutter how long should I wait until I eat it.

Due to its potency, rubbing alcohol can be fatal at much lower doses than ethyl alcohol. The primary symptoms of a toxic dose of isopropyl are extreme lethargy and coma, possibly accompanied by vomiting.

Read more: Side Effects From the Abuse of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol | eHow.com Side Effects From the Abuse of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol | eHow.com

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
When they start making atomizers from peanut butter, that would be a good question to pose.

In the meantime, an overnight dry after blowing out an atomizer will be enough to ensure isopropyl alcohol used to clean an atomizer will evaporate. An hour in a 200 degree oven will speed the process.

Well- I've been considering making airplanes out of beef... but the peanut butter atomizer is a new one.

johnny bobcat

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Colorado
I'm going to look into soaking my attys in dissolved denture. You might want to try this as well.

Does anyone know if soaking attys in dissolved denture tabs tends to wear the colour off of 510 attys like rubbing alcohol does?

Been there done that, wouldn't recommend it. it leaves a horrid taste in the atty that you can never get out

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
If I mix a cup of isopropyl alcohol into a jar of penutbutter how long should I wait until I eat it.

Due to its potency, rubbing alcohol can be fatal at much lower doses than ethyl alcohol. The primary symptoms of a toxic dose of isopropyl are extreme lethargy and coma, possibly accompanied by vomiting.

Read more: Side Effects From the Abuse of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol | eHow.com Side Effects From the Abuse of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol | eHow.com

You're assuming there is any alcohol. If it's dry, there is no alcohol. It evaporates completely. You won't vape alcohol, because there is none.

If you aren't sure if it's dry, just sniff the atty. That stuff has a strong smell. If there's any left, you'll know about it.

Also, rinsing with water afterwards defeats the entire point of the alcohol soak. The point of using isopropyl is that once it dries, it leaves NOTHING behind.

Water does. All the minerals, impurities, etc, will wind up in your atomizer. Of course, you could always use distilled water. But alcohol evaporates faster. There's no reason to.

Last edited:

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
Here is the fool proof way to clean your atty.
1. rinse the atty in warm water for 3.2 minutes
2. soak the atty in 22.5 ml of 82% iso alcohol for 17 minutes
3. blow out atty by mouth for 2 minutes
4. Drop atty in a solution of 50% white vinegar and hydrgen peroxide for 3hrs 12 minutes
5. rinse with luke warm water for 2 minutes
6. blow dry with hair dryer in the bathroom for 18 minutes
7. conduct first series of dry burns, then return atty to the solution called out in step 4
8. roll atty on semi dirty mouse pad for 1.6 minutes
9. put atty on window seal for 24hr timed dry cycle
10. next morning, begin second series of dry burns
11. soak in 92% iso alcohol for 31.5 minutes
12. rinse once again with warm water for 18 minutes
13. blow out water
14. conduct 3rd round of dry burns, heating the atty up to 185 degrees F and hold that temp for 3 minutes.
15. preheat oven to 275 degrees F, place atty in oven on ungreased cookie sheet for 25 minutes
16. let stand for 12 minutes

or for similiar results...
1. rinse atty in warm water for 2 minutes and resume normal vaping activities

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
or for similiar results...
1. rinse atty in warm water for 2 minutes and resume normal vaping activities

You are right... this will work. However, you need to use distilled water- or you will vape the minerals in the water (bad). It's the same reason that humidifier makers who use ultrasonic elements include a resin bag in the water path to leech out the minerals (because breathing them is baaaaad).

But if done with distilled water, the method works. However, it leeches the juice off slower, but can be vaped before completely dry.

Whatever works for you.

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
I have some 50% rubbing alcohol that was already in the house so I've used this twice so far. I put the atomizer in it in a small bowl and let it soak for about 5min then I did the scoop method till it runs out the bottom really quick and easy. I then ran it under very hot water for a couple minutes making sure it was very thoroughly rinsed. After this I blew it out into some tissue then left it on my desk overnight and in the morning it performed like a champ and tasted good. I'll probably pick up some higher % rubbing alcohol sometime but I'll probably use this bottle up first. According to the bottle the other 50% is purified water so I don't see any harm in using it.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I have some 50% rubbing alcohol that was already in the house so I've used this twice so far. I put the atomizer in it in a small bowl and let it soak for about 5min then I did the scoop method till it runs out the bottom really quick and easy. I then ran it under very hot water for a couple minutes making sure it was very thoroughly rinsed. After this I blew it out into some tissue then left it on my desk overnight and in the morning it performed like a champ and tasted good. I'll probably pick up some higher % rubbing alcohol sometime but I'll probably use this bottle up first. According to the bottle the other 50% is purified water so I don't see any harm in using it.

Should be fine.

However the tap water will leave minerals behind... just let the alcohol dry.

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
If you rinse with tap water and blow it out, the amount of any mineralization will be miniscule. Like I've posted before, I use tap water (with ultrasonic cleaning) on all my atomizers. My original Joye 510 atomizer is now a year old and shows zero signs of mineral deposits, vapes like a champ.

We will have a differing opinion here- unless you have very soft water. Even with a blow off it will stiffen the wick when dried, and whatever deposits left over will get to the atomizer and be inhaled.

Your call. But after watching the medical controversy surrounding ultrasonic humidifiers I take no chances.

Acheron

Jul 20, 2010
irving, tx
I went to my local liqueur store and bought a small bottle of EVERCLEAR.. its 95% alcohol.. i usually soak my attys in a shot glass for about an hr or so... then pull out and shake... and wait to air dry for about 30 minutes... i have had no issues with this yet... and honestly it was the best way i found to get rid of that NASTY taste when i bought my Riva with preloaded carts... being a computer tech i would also think that rinsing anything electronic in water would actually make things worse... or cleaning in "soda" would deposit sugars and syrop on the coils, causing things to just get nasty.... never the less.. i am still a rookie at Vaping and am learning each day things that i can and can't do... so i may be totally incorrect in my thoughts and just be on the brink of blowing my atty's up too.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread