I think I just destroyed 3 510 atomizers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordterrin

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Australia
Hey hey,

I've been vaping about 6-7 months now, and have not really done much in the area of cleaning. For a while, I would use diet coke, (placing the atomiser in diet coke for about 5 hours, then rinsing it well with water, then letting it dry,) which seemed to work well, but then from this thread, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-maintenance/113362-cleaning-510-attys.html, I tried using cozzicon's method of soaking the atomiser for a few minutes in Isopropyl alcohol then letting it dry, and I think that it killed my atomisers.

I have an atomiser that I let sit in Isopropyl Alcohol for a few minutes, then took it out, let the alcohol run out the bottom, then dried it pretty well, and let it air dry with a constant, light flow of air for 24 hours. I tried vaping with it and it tasted very strongly of the Isopropyl alcohol, and when attached to a battery, it makes a crackling sound, so I know it's getting power, but with 1 - 3 drops of juice on the atomiser it does nothing, I get NO smoke whatsoever, and I get a horrible taste of alcohol.

I preformed this same task on a second and third atomiser, but followed with rinsing it with some warm water before letting it dry. 24 hours - same thing. It tastes like Isopropyl alcohol and does not work at all. Have I just killed two atomizers?

Help please!

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Thats odd. I soaked mine in isopropyl alcohol 70% like he said and had no problem.

I soaked for 5 minutes, constantly scooping up some and letting it drip out through the battery end and vice versa. I changed out the alcohol and let them soak again for 10 minutes before removing them for drying. I got very impatient so I blew on them a bunch to speed up the drying process, then performed quite a few dry burns. I definitely didn't taste the alcohol but it STILL didn't get rid of the AC taste.

Edit: It did however make the atty's vape much better.

kj4lxw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pinellas, FL
Maybe try the dry burn too?
Use a drinking straw to blow through. This will allow you to hold the atty away from your face so you can watch the coil and you can blow air on it while you dry burn to help keep it from popping off and dieing.

I do this and keep dry burning until I see the entire coil glow. Sometimes I will see just one side of the coil glow when starting out, but it will all glow as the residue burns off.
When done the coil will appear white almost across it. Before starting the nurn it will have been black or very dark all the way across.

Guess I should add that I do this on standard 510 attys that have the mesh and bridge removed for straight dripping. With mesh on you shoudl still see some glow, may just take longer.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Hey hey,

I've been vaping about 6-7 months now, and have not really done much in the area of cleaning. For a while, I would use diet coke, (placing the atomiser in diet coke for about 5 hours, then rinsing it well with water, then letting it dry,) which seemed to work well, but then from this thread, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-maintenance/113362-cleaning-510-attys.html, I tried using cozzicon's method of soaking the atomiser for a few minutes in Isopropyl alcohol then letting it dry, and I think that it killed my atomisers.

I have an atomiser that I let sit in Isopropyl Alcohol for a few minutes, then took it out, let the alcohol run out the bottom, then dried it pretty well, and let it air dry with a constant, light flow of air for 24 hours. I tried vaping with it and it tasted very strongly of the Isopropyl alcohol, and when attached to a battery, it makes a crackling sound, so I know it's getting power, but with 1 - 3 drops of juice on the atomiser it does nothing, I get NO smoke whatsoever, and I get a horrible taste of alcohol.

I preformed this same task on a second and third atomiser, but followed with rinsing it with some warm water before letting it dry. 24 hours - same thing. It tastes like Isopropyl alcohol and does not work at all. Have I just killed two atomizers?

Help please!

Make sure the atty is really dry before you use it. Also, repriming can be as many as 8 drops.

My suggestion is to dry the atty in some sort of airflow...

You also get much faster drying with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:

tarazarr

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2010
Texas
I like using the built in dryer... To access this feature, simply blow the access moisture out by putting the non threaded end into your mouth and blowing, next screw it into the battery and momentarily press the battery button until you see a small orange glow inside the atty, let it cool down and repeat the button push/pulse step one or two more times...

your good to go

kj4lxw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pinellas, FL
I like using the built in dryer... To access this feature, simply blow the access moisture out by putting the non threaded end into your mouth and blowing, next screw it into the battery and momentarily press the battery button until you see a small orange glow inside the atty, let it cool down and repeat the button push/pulse step one or two more times...

your good to go

Helps to do this in a dim or very dark room:D

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Speaking of atomizers.......I just ordered a 5v pass thru. Will they blow my LR attys? Should I only use regular attys with it?

I have used LR atty on 5v since they came out and have had no problems anymore than using them at 3.7. You lose some at times no matter whether its at 3.7 or 5v. Just like any atty. I use EM LR 510s and cant be happier. I also use reg 510 joyes at 5v at times. I like the differences in the two and interchange their use.

So to answer your question, I think they can be used fine with 5v. I have been doing it since Nhaler was the only supplier selling them..

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Hey hey,

Help please!

90+proof alcohol is a great way to clean your attys.. no need to really rinse them in water. I never do.. Alkey dries very fast and displaces water,

Chemfatale

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Canada
I don't usually soak in rubbing alcohol as it wears the colour coating off of my attys. Instead I usually just soak them in boiling water for 15 minutes and swoosh them around a few times.

Sometimes I soak them in rubbing alcohol but I noticed tey had a rubbing alcohol taste even after letting them sit overnight, so if I do soak them in rubbing alcohol I soak them for 10 minutes, rinse them off with the tap water pressue very low to avoid damaging the wick and then I soak them in boiling water for 15 minutes and let them dry for a day. I suggest you try soaking them in boiling water and give them enough time to dry.

It takes more time, but I prefer to just soak in boiling water. To be on the safe side I soak them every few days, so I need to rotate a few extra attys, but I find soaking in boiling water works great if you clean them on a regular basis. Boiling water doesn't strip the colour off of the attys either which is a plus.

I'm going to look into soaking my attys in dissolved denture. You might want to try this as well.

Does anyone know if soaking attys in dissolved denture tabs tends to wear the colour off of 510 attys like rubbing alcohol does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread