Unexplained weight gain whilst vaping...

HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED WEIGHT GAIN THAT IS NOT CAUSED BY OBVIOUS FACTORS?

• I have experienced weight gain that has no obvious cause

• I haven't gained or lost any weight - more or less stable

• I have actually lost weight whilst I have been vaping not by diet or exercise.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uab9253

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2014
Salisbury MD
I too, have been a fanatical record keeper about my weight, and gained like 15 lbs in about 3 weeks, with no change other than heavy vaping. And I'm still smoking about a half a pack a day - mainly just vape at work.
Cannot attribute it to anything else. Have been vaping VG heavy liquids and going DIY to experiment with PG vs VG, to see if it has an effect. Also had some chest heaviness with the VG heavy stuff.

Will report back later, if I find that dropping the VG has any effect.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Well Vg is kind of an oily type mineral and Pg is some what starch. Of course eliquid have sugar and a bunch of other chemicals and minerals. So basically food. I hope you cant get obese of it.

i never even thought about sweetner in vape liquids..
but i'm pretty sure it's not sugar but sugar alternatives.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
I too, have been a fanatical record keeper about my weight, and gained like 15 lbs in about 3 weeks, with no change other than heavy vaping. And I'm still smoking about a half a pack a day - mainly just vape at work.
Cannot attribute it to anything else. Have been vaping VG heavy liquids and going DIY to experiment with PG vs VG, to see if it has an effect. Also had some chest heaviness with the VG heavy stuff.

Will report back later, if I find that dropping the VG has any effect.

the first few high VG liquids i vaped, scared me.
my chest was heavy and i coulda sworn my heartbeat skipped here and there.
scared me enough that i would lay down for a few.

i almost gave up on vg at that point.. but i didn't.
and now i prefer to vape high vg... all my liquids are at least 50/50 but i find i prefer 70 or higher vg now.

maybe it's an adjustment for your body.
not sure.
i try to increase my water intake. so maybe that had something to do with it.

Darthpistachio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
United Kingdom
aside from the one who seems to think I have devious underhand motives - the responses are making interesting reading..

Like some have pointed out I'm just trying to determine IF there is a link between vaping and weight gain IF there is no other obvious cause INCLUDING having had tests and ruled most other stuff out - which I have! ;)

Results of a poll like this - even a simple one can indicate whether it needs investigating further or not - even if the number of people voting that have noticed the same is low - there is the factor that it may be a significant percentage to warrant further investigation - for example - ask 1000 people if they get a reaction to nuts and the percentage reply will be very low - doesn't negate the importance however of those that do! ;)

Personally for me I'm leaning towards the absence of toxins resulting in a slow down of metabolism as now the body is not ramped up metabolically in order to eliminate these toxins - couple this to the fact that intestinal flora will recover after a while and you could reach a very real situation for a significant percentage of people that given up smoking totally - even if you still VAPE - will result in weight gain due to a slow down in metabolism COUPLED to an increase in digestive efficiency..

Also you may have to consider that the chemical that we vape will linger in the mucosa and skin of our mouth nose and throat and given the proximity of those areas to the Thyroid gland it is not outside the realms of possibility that they could have an effect on the gland in some people.

thus the warning to ANYONE that quits smoking either tee-total or in favour of vaping would be simply to be aware of this and monitor their weight to see if they are indeed ONE of those people this will happen to..

I for one would have liked that warning and I would have taken very careful note during the first 12-18 months of quitting smoking to ensure that I didn't gain too much weight - either by eating a bit less or increasing physical activity to compensate.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Personally for me I'm leaning towards the absence of toxins resulting in a slow down of metabolism as now the body is not ramped up metabolically in order to eliminate these toxins - couple this to the fact that intestinal flora will recover after a while and you could reach a very real situation for a significant percentage of people that given up smoking totally - even if you still VAPE - will result in weight gain due to a slow down in metabolism COUPLED to an increase in digestive efficiency..

I am leaning in the same direction :)
And please note that the cause of the weight gain is not vaping. It is smoking cessation. As is pointed out in numerous smoking cessation advice pages. Smoking cessation generally leads to weight gain. What else is new?

To my mind, there is no special need to caution new vapers about the well-known side effects of smoking cessation. Unless, of course, they want to put these down as negative side effects of vaping. Then it is a good idea to point out the side effects of smoking cessation to them.

I have seen people hold vaping responsible for everything from pimples on their hiney to ingrown toenails. :facepalm:
Some things are side effects of smoking cessation, others are simply happening. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread