FDA at it again...tell your Representative

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktarantino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2011
RL
Very easy to do ... thanks for the posts that gave their stories, I actually just copied and pasted as I am sure the benefits from ecigarettes are the same for just about all of us. I only had to change some of the We's to I ... and waahhlaaa, a heartfelt email sent! :cool: BTW Great job whoever wrote the original. I love the last line, Please don't allow them to kill smokers!

Mathew R Taylor

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I emailed my Senator some time ago - and just received my response, and here it is:
Dear Friend,

Thank you for your message regarding the proposal to give the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to regulate the use of tobacco products. I greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue.

The FDA is tasked with ensuring the safety of food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices, and veterinary products used by Americans daily. In recent years, however, it has become clear that the agency is overburdened. It struggles to adequately meet its already substantial regulatory responsibilities, which are necessary to protect the nation's public health. In fact, in 2008 the FDA recalled more food products because of foodborne illnesses than in any previous year. I firmly believe that the FDA lacks the resources to handle significant additional regulatory responsibilities.

As you may know, the Family Smoking Prevention and tobacco Control Act (S. 982/H.R. 1256) was introduced in the House of Representatives on March 3, 2009 and then in the Senate on May 5. The bill was passed by both chambers -- in the House on April 2 and in the Senate on June 11. It was signed into law by President Obama on June 22. This legislation will give the FDA the authority to regulate the tobacco industry with strict new guidelines, which I believe to be overly burdensome. The bill will restrict advertising, require expanded government warnings on the packaging of tobacco products, and, most importantly, give the FDA wide latitude to dictate the specific contents of cigarettes.

While I opposed this legislation, I do recognize the dangers associated with smoking and the need for greater regulation of tobacco products. That is why I joined with Senator Richard Burr to introduce the Federal Tobacco Act of 2009 (S. 579). This bipartisan compromise bill would have created a Tobacco Regulatory Agency to enforce strict regulations on the marketing of tobacco products. Under our legislation, consumers would have been given more information than ever before about the contents and risks of tobacco products. Our legislation placed a high priority on preventing children from smoking. It would accomplished these goals without imposing further responsibilities on an already overburdened FDA. I felt this bill was a fair alternative to H.R. 1256, however, it did not garner enough support to pass.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan

I used a form letter from the OP (customized and personalized of course), so to receive a form letter back, fine. To receive a form letter that pretty much is the opposite intent of my letter, is disappointing to say the least. Gotta say I'm loving my tax dollars at work here ;)

- Mathew

Katatonik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Dallas, TX
I used a form letter from the OP (customized and personalized of course), so to receive a form letter back, fine. To receive a form letter that pretty much is the opposite intent of my letter, is disappointing to say the least. Gotta say I'm loving my tax dollars at work here ;)

- Mathew
They're too busy doing God knows what to actually read anything. He probably didn't read it, some intern said "Some letter about nicotine or tobacco or something. What do you want me to do?" "Send that one reply about my accomplishments in an unrelated area."

P-Dub

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
Santa Rita,GU, USA
Letters sent! I have no hopes of anything coming of them as represted by the responses that others have received. This is what we pay these folks for? Little do we realize, unless we, as a community and industry, start putting some serious money towards the campaign coffers of these smug schmucks, and I do mean serious money, our voices will, for the most part, fall upon deaf ears.

Desert Willow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Bullhead City, AZ
Letters sent! I have no hopes of anything coming of them as represted by the responses that others have received. This is what we pay these folks for? Little do we realize, unless we, as a community and industry, start putting some serious money towards the campaign coffers of these smug schmucks, and I do mean serious money, our voices will, for the most part, fall upon deaf ears.

America, Land of the Free... for those who can afford it. Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread