AW IMR18650 1600mAh/ Reo Grand battery and charger source suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OaklandCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
OaklandCA

2 questions:
1. current (5-2011) price range and sources for 18650 batteries & Charger (please post link and buying experience shipping etc)

2. unrelated to vaping: Are rechargable batteries more economical than alkalines? (NOT TO USE FOR vaping BUT Radios and the like)

see below for why:
I got a grand so now i understand that I should get AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery and a charger. Looking around it seems i can expect to pay $11-$15 per battery. Is that correct? Charger 20- $50 any risks of bloiwing the batt with a cheap charger?

As it happens we use an awful lot of batteries in my house and have been buying package after package of AA and AAA batteries. While I'm shopping for my grand's batteries i figure i would try buying a charger that can also handle typical domestic sizes for radios, flashlights kids toys and the like. And then try buying a few rechargable batteries. But at $12. a pop does that make sense for flashlights, radios and toys? How long would these last--does it pay off?

so what sort of charger would that be and can anyone point me to size chart that makes equivalence for AAs etc.​

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Others will give better info., but I bought my batteries and charger for my Reo Grand from Randy at RTDvapor.com http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ies-ultrafire-chargers-more-rtdvapor-com.html

I bought the Ultrafire WF-188 Charger. It was $16.20. There is a Pila charger that is higher quality and I hope to eventually get that, but it's around $45.

Shipping was fast, I ordered late on a Friday night and it arrived on Monday.

I doubt you can use a charger for chemistry batteries on rechargeables for toys, etc., but the experts here can answer that.

The AW IMR batteries need extra precaution, you can't put batteries on a charger and go to bed. The reason I am awake at this hour is because I am babysitting a charging battery. I also use a multimeter to check them before and after they come off the charger. Might be overkill, but it's what was recommended.

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
For your first question. Check out RTDvaper.com at Batteries The AW IMR 18650s are 9.85. He ships really fast. He should have the Pila chargers soon too.

If not in stock Super T Manufacturing at Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products. He also ships within a day or two.

I've used both and no problems, great service.

For question 2. I don't think one charger will work for both. I didn't see any in my search. THomas Distributing at Largest selection of AAA, AA, C, D, 9V nimh Rechargeable Batteries, Chargers, Sanyo, Eneloop, Maha, Imedion, Powerex has good prices on PowerEx rechargeables and Maha chargers. I use both extensively for AA and AAA. They last for years of extensive use in photo flashes, home stuff, etc. and if you leave them not used they hold the charge only losing about 15% per year. They also give good even power until they drop off at the end, unlike alkalines that slowly wane until they peter out. Look for coupon codes on the internet and you can get them cheaper.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
Super T also has REALLY cheap shipping. In all honest, I prefer this battery to the AW:

IMR 18650 1500 mAh | AtmosUSA Ecigs

The MNKE LiMN 18650 is capable of a much higher continuous amp discharge than the AW. It's made in Canada by a company with VERY rigorous standards. It's pretty much the only battery I run in my Reo Grand. While you probably won't notice much of a difference in a unit like the Reo, I do find that it holds up better through the life of the charge on a 1.5ohm atomizer. This batt is a MUST have for users w/ devices like the ProVari, who are using a single 19650 to boost voltage.

OaklandCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
OaklandCA
thanks posters I guess i'll skip the dual use idea.

Any more info on a charger i can use overnight? I suppose i could make a habit of charging at work where i can watch over a 4 hour charging session but there is no way i would ever have time at home. I'm wanting to treat the reo like my phone, plug it in at night, unplug in the morning and go. I would think the batteries aren't all that different (if i get the right ones) so why do these lithium ions need to be watched over but cell phones don't?

OaklandCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
OaklandCA
Super T also has REALLY cheap shipping. In all honest, I prefer this battery to the AW:

IMR 18650 1500 mAh | AtmosUSA Ecigs

The MNKE LiMN 18650 is capable of a much higher continuous amp discharge than the AW. It's made in Canada by a company with VERY rigorous standards. It's pretty much the only battery I run in my Reo Grand. While you probably won't notice much of a difference in a unit like the Reo, I do find that it holds up better through the life of the charge on a 1.5ohm atomizer. This batt is a MUST have for users w/ devices like the ProVari, who are using a single 19650 to boost voltage.

I like the prices at the link you sent 8.99 for a battery and 420 for a charger. Do most folks really sit around and keep an eye on their chargers?

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
I sprung for the Pila smart charger for that reason. They charge in a couple hours at most so I try not to leave them overnight, but I have and surely don't stay in the room and watch them. I have a separate charging station that is hooked to a high quality power strip on a metal shelving unit away from anything too flammable and a smoke detector near by. I figure that is the best I can do for the batteries and to keep safe given my general forgetfulness.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky

Any more info on a charger i can use overnight?

AA batteries are 14500. AAA are 10440. You can get trustfire or ultrafires in that size for toys, flashlights, etc for cheap (yes, far more economical to answer your earlier question - most are rated for 250+ charge cycles these days). Almost all of the of the 4.2v chargers that can physically accept an 18650 can also charge 14500s and 10440s. There's a single batt charger on madvapes for 5 bucks that can handle them. And the TR-0001 double charger for ten bucks at madvapes can charge two different batteries (even if they are different sizes) at the same time. Both of those chargers do a fine job with my AW and my IMR 18650s and my regular 18650s and my 14500s etc etc etc.

If you're worried about charging when you're away or asleep. just take an old computer case, remove the motherboard and power supply, run the cord for a surge protector or power strip through the power supply hole, and charge inside the computer case.

OaklandCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
OaklandCA
well if i had an old computer case... but i do have access to a couple of old tool boxes. i haven't had to through this with the phone charging---but alas i guess i can swing a few more protections....

i thought those things looked (bats) might similar to plain old "batteries" so i'm going to t least get a charger which might be useful for varying sizes. meantime i better get of my bootie and order this is in fact the worst part of this hobby. every few weeks i come back here and see the latest and greatest and sometimes it is-- boge 2.0's or the dual coils...other times(ego tank, smart carts, etc. etc.) it isn't so great and its $50 down the drain. (not to mention foul smelling/tasting juices that "everyone" else seems to lov (RY4 etc)

But when it's good it's sweet so i will kep spending the $ until i have really outrun analogs and then will cut back...(where have i heard that before....)
well back to Batts. I better o get busy or i will have this cool mod on hand and no way to test it/use it,

Last edited:

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
The main thing is that you're going to love your new Reo. I didn't mean to make it sound like the batteries were going to explode at any given moment, it's just that I was grateful to read a thread that warned not to leave one of these batteries on a charger overnight. If you research these types of batteries, the fire pictures are frightening, so I just want to be careful. I leave the room and I glance at the time when I put a battery on so I know about when it should be finished so I can watch for the green light.

I have the Utrafire charger and it takes less than 3 hours for a battery to charge. I hope I don't offend anyone here who owns one, but it's not the best made piece of equipment, so I plan to get a Pila next.

I don't know if everyone who uses mod batteries uses a multimeter, but it's been helpful to me (again based on reading posts here). The batteries are supposed to come off the charger at 4.2 and then they drop and hold steady at 3.7. You should put them on the charger around 3.6. I fell below 3.5 a few times at first, but now I'm more aware of when they are dropping and I catch them right about 3.6.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and it's less fiddling around than with regular PVs - you aren't filling, dripping, swapping batteries, etc.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA

Any more info on a charger i can use overnight? I suppose i could make a habit of charging at work where i can watch over a 4 hour charging session but there is no way i would ever have time at home. I'm wanting to treat the reo like my phone, plug it in at night, unplug in the morning and go. I would think the batteries aren't all that different (if i get the right ones) so why do these lithium ions need to be watched over but cell phones don't?

Never, ever, ever leave batteries on a charger unattended. Also you should have a multi meter to test them off the charger. You need to test your attys also.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

Pila IBC Charger Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread