Winter to Spring

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Well we’ve made it through hopefully the worst of Winter, the clocks have changed, the evenings are stretching out, and even here in the Wet and Woolly Southern Highlands in the West of Scotland we’ve had some good days letting us get out into the garden - and on the vaping front I can sit out in the summer house with enough light to wind coils and see what the Devil I’m doing!

Over the Winter I’ve been stocking up on mods and batteries before, what’s laughingly called the UK Government, brings in its vaping Tax in October ‘25 and as it’ll double the price of E Liquids, of course I’ve been stocking up, ordering up a litre of my 16 strength Menthol mix a month.

Shortly I’ll change this to a litre of 7.2 Nicotine Shots a month - the strongest concentration we are allowed under TPD rules - and go back to making up my own unflavoured juice.

Paradoxically, one of the stated reasons for bringing in a ban on Disposables was to cut down the amount of waste going to landfill, yet ,as we are restricted to buying all vape liquids in 10 ml bottles, this means I’ll be chucking out 100 of the said plastic bottles a month, as I transfer my stuff to amber glass bottles, but hey ho that’s politicians for you - never the deepest of thinkers!

The big change for me however, was how I’ve taken to Brunhilde MTLs and how they have replaced Nautilus Minis in my affections - there hasn’t been a day since last August that I’ve never used one for at least part of the day.

After really taking to the Brunhildes, I did a bit more experimenting, but that wasn't great success. I tried a Svoemesto which was a chronic jammer although a superb vape between whiles, an Alberich because I couldn't source another Brunhilde in the UK and what a diificult brute that was to coil and wick and which went to Vape heaven as the coils would not stay in place, and finally a Nautilus 3 which I simply could not take to, even though it used my long term favourite drop in coils. Howver the Alberich and Nauti 3 mouthpieces were kept and work fine on my Brunhildes, so it wasn't a total loss!.

Things have been a bit quiet on ECF of late, so I thought I’d post an update from Scottish Scotland - how's your Winters gone?

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Just for fun, here's a little poem I found on the internet;

In winter's icy clutch we're held tight,
    But fear not, friends, for here comes the light!
    With puffs of vapor, oh so fine,
    We'll vape our way to springtime shine!

Gone are the days of frosty breath,
    Now we puff clouds, defying death.
    Inhaling flavors, oh so sweet,
    Winter's grip, we shall defeat!

As snowflakes melt and robins sing,
    We'll vape our way to the warmth of spring.
    So pass the vape, let's have a fling,
    And bid adieu to winter's sting!

With every puff, the air grows mild,
    No need for coats, we're feeling wild!
    So let's vape winter into spring,
    And laugh as we see snowflakes melting!

But heed this tale, my vaping crew,
    Enjoy the flavors, and do as you do!
    For though we jest and laugh and play,
    Classwife and retired1 will have their say!

So vape on, friends, but with care,
    And let's usher in springtime fair.
    With clouds of vapor, let's take flight,
    And vape our way to springtime light!

- Chet Gepetee ;)

Sorry @Falconeer, I couldn't resist :greengrin:

Last edited:

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
    Connecticut, USA
    The big change for me however, was how I’ve taken to Brunhilde MTLs and how they have replaced Nautilus Minis in my affections - there hasn’t been a day since last August that I’ve never used one for at least part of the day.
    I've puffed on mine every day since I got it around mid January, as I recall. Very dependable. I increasingly appreciate how forgiving and flexible they are, especially in contrast to my other RTAs lately.

After really taking to the Brunhildes, I did a bit more experimenting, but that wasn't great success. I tried a Svoemesto which was a chronic jammer although a superb vape between whiles...
    Spent a lot of time experimenting with a Kayfun as well (namely a Kayfun Light Plus V2 clone).

The first build was beginners luck, and of course I didn't pay enough attention to what I did. Everything following that gave me dry and burnt hits. Finally figured it out after a month off and on with lots of research, trial and error, and swearing (lots and lots of swearing). It is a gorgeous vape, so it was worth the effort. With any luck it should be easy to wick it the same way in the future now that I know what works.

It probably goes without saying, but should you want help/suggestions, I'm sure many people would be happy to give them, myself included (though mine is an old one, the deck looks very similar on new ones). I also understand that they get frustrating enough that sometimes you have to put them away for awhile and return later. Or maybe they're just too fiddly with their wicking for your liking, which I can completely understand.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I've puffed on mine every day since I got it around mid January, as I recall. Very dependable. I increasingly appreciate how forgiving and flexible they are, especially in contrast to my other RTAs lately.

Spent a lot of time experimenting with a Kayfun as well (namely a Kayfun Light Plus V2 clone).

The first build was beginners luck, and of course I didn't pay enough attention to what I did. Everything following that gave me dry and burnt hits. Finally figured it out after a month off and on with lots of research, trial and error, and swearing (lots and lots of swearing). It is a gorgeous vape, so it was worth the effort. With any luck it should be easy to wick it the same way in the future now that I know what works.

It probably goes without saying, but should you want help/suggestions, I'm sure many people would be happy to give them, myself included (though mine is an old one, the deck looks very similar on new ones). I also understand that they get frustrating enough that sometimes you have to put them away for awhile and return later. Or maybe they're just too fiddly with their wicking for your liking, which I can completely understand.
    KFL was the first tank where I needed to build my own coils and wicks. Coincidentally my first attempt was also a case of beginner's luck. Coil and wick worked great. Followed by a lengthy period of failures. Now I can do it in my sleep, haven't had a bad build for many years.

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
    Connecticut, USA
    KFL was the first tank where I needed to build my own coils and wicks. Coincidentally my first attempt was also a case of beginner's luck. Coil and wick worked great. Followed by a lengthy period of failures. Now I can do it in my sleep, haven't had a bad build for many years.
    It's good to hear I'm not the only one to struggle with it.

I was using way too much cotton, trying to wick it too much like an RDA or the Brunhilde. It was a learning experience as far as realizing one needs to consider the thickness of the tails compared to the juice flow. Frustrating, but worthwhile.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    - Chet Gepetee ;)
    Seems like our buddy Jax introduced you to Chet. :greengrin:

I've rarely heard a bad comment about the Brunhilde. But it's so tall. I'd like see a FatHilda. make her more portly .......... like me. Or how they did with the Serpent Mini at 22mm, then the Serpent Mini 25 at 25mm. Or the Ammit's, same thing.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Seems like our buddy Jax introduced you to Chet. :greengrin:
    LOL! Yeah. Actually, I do use ChatGPT for script work at my job. Though, I will go back and fact check it and edit out the gobbledygook that often comes along with it. I see another member here who heavily relies on it. A major red flag is when they say to "consult your local retail shop or manufacterer" at the end of their posts.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Chet Gepetee ;)

Very nicely personalized!!! :greengrin:

But.......... have you taught C-GPT its new name yet??? :lol: :lol:

and also...............

It seems we have a battle of the robots here. I went ahead and reported his last post as it seems highly suspicious.

Check out the previous post, as well.

Saw that shortly after IT posted there.

Seems like our buddy Jax [...]

About Jax,,,,,,,,,,,,, I reported IT as an unregistered supplier within minutes of ITs last post.

I figured IT would reveal ITSELF in time, given the Nature of ITs posts. ;)

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    I always have at least one Kayfun in rotation. Currently have a KFL19 and a Prime going.

Never had any problems wicking my Kayfuns (going back to the OG KFL). For me, they're very easy to wick. But yes, for some they can be difficult.

IMHO, once you learn how to wick a Kayfun you can wick any RBA in existence. :greengrin:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015

The Svoemesto was IMHO, THE Best Vape I have yet dragged on, but, and sadly so often in life there is a but, while I found it dead easy to coil and knew to taper down the wick, the problem I had with mine wasn't to do with wicking and coiling but in getting the thing apart to refill it.

I greased up all the O rings with vape liquid, didn't tighten it up too much but after the third refill getting it apart was a pure nightmare.

I tried using my rubber studded gardening gloves, putting it into the freezer, and even used my plumber's wrench with rubber inserts and got no joy.

Finally it came apart after being soaked in boiling water then popped into the freezer. I rewicked and regreased it but next time had to repeat the above.

There is a Scots saying - "Some gemmes jist arnae worth the caune!" ( "Some games aren't worth the candle", in Standard English ) - for me this hassle just wasn't worth it - especially when the whole darned thing came apart, apart from the bit I needed to refill it!

1.png

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Very nicely personalized!!! :greengrin:

But.......... have you taught CBT its new name yet??? :lol: :lol:
    See? This will probably be the final death knell for forums going forward.

In the past, you'd see replies like "Let me Google that for you". Now, instead of that, we're going see more imposters using it for their marketing; and it gets worse. Now, you should not say yes (ie.,"Can you hear me?") to telemarketers because they can record your voice and use it to try to prove you agreed to some sort of scam.

If one were to reread my poem, you can see the inefficiencies that lie therein and the corrections I made on the fly. The technology is still in its infancy.

As for the other member who I believe is using it, it might boil down to an individual who is awkward and is wanting to communicate on a level that sounds intellegent but doesn't, like me :greengrin:. Does CBT mean Cognitive Behavior Therapy (because that would be appropriate)? :lol:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    See? This will probably be the final death knell for forums going forward.

In the past, you'd see replies like "Let me Google that for you". Now, instead of that, we're going see more imposters using it for their marketing; and it gets worse. Now, you should not say yes (ie.,"Can you hear me?") to telemarketers because they can record your voice and use it to try to prove you agreed to some sort of scam.

If one were to reread my poem, you can see the inefficiencies that lie therein and the corrections I made on the fly. The technology is still in its infancy.

As for the other member who I believe is using it, it might boil down to an individual who is awkward and is wanting to communicate on a level that sounds intellegent but doesn't, like me :greengrin:. Does CBT mean Cognitive Behavior Therapy (because that would be appropriate)? :lol:

I think AI can be a really good tool for humanity, if used properly. It's the knuckleheads and the power hungry (pollyticians, gov's + corporations) who will abuse it.

And as I figured, Misty just completely deleted "all of Jax". :greengrin:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    I think AI can be a really good tool for humanity, if used properly. It's the knuckleheads and the power hungry (pollyticians, gov's + corporations) who will abuse it.

And as I figured, Misty just completely deleted "all of Jax". :greengrin:
    I did say he was a cut and paste merchant who rather got on my mammary glands with his "advice" to experienced vapers which was in at least one case taken straight from the instruction leaflet on some normal Chinese rig!

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    I can build my own coils and make vape juice too, a country boy can survive...or something like that
    Aye, I was a contry boy too and know that there's not much you can't fix with bailer twine, fence wire and nowadays zip ties.

Even so there's, some things you need a wee bit help with when your eyes aren't as sharp as they once were nor you hands are a steady as in auld lang syne - but with an illuminated magnifier and persistence you can still wire and wick a wee thing like this!

39.jpg
    40.jpg

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    OMG - how could I forget that - I've got rolls of the stuff in the garden shed ... and big staples too "just in case!"

Back when I was a boy in the 50s, jute sacks were another thing. Tractors didn't have cabs then and tractormen put them over their backs when it rained hailed or snowed and farm wives washed them to use them as rough towels when folk came in dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread