Wick material experiment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

soylent

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
cincy, oh
Thanks, there is a lot of info there though! I have heard that coffee filters are an option, but I haven't seen anything about it here.

I haven't seen coffee filters either. I think the paper filter kind would burn, but there are all kinds of coffee filters.

IMO the blue foam filler works the best. I've been using it for at least two months will only an occasional flooding. The thread is all screwed up since the OP was banned, but someone posted a link to pics if you want to see it:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ated-v2-0-slug-search-over-17.html#post949851

I just can't wait to either find material to put in the blank I have, or get the one I'm using low enough to fill with one of the juices I bought. :)

If you're taste testing, you can drip instead of using carts. Just don't put any juice or filler in the cart and drop a few drops directly on the atomizer coil. You'll get about a dozen puffs before you need to add more.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT
Cotton burns pretty quick from previous posts I've read. Draws the liquid up and saturates the coil, but in less than an hour they said they started tasted an extreme burnt taste.

"Autoignition temperature (cotton): 407°C (765°F)
Autoignition temperature (for oily cotton): 120°C (248°F)"

There shouldn't be a problem with cotton burning, unless the ejuice contains oil (not recommended), in which case it will very likely burn. But just because it doesn't burn, doesn't mean necessarily that it won't give off a burnt taste, I suppose.

Any any wicking material gives off a nasty taste once it runs dry. Maybe it's just the taste of a dry atomizer itself?

I wouldn't use a cotton ball myself, but I think that a woven cotton wick might work quite well. I'm trying to find some myself, to use in a cart mod.

Uncle Screwtape

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
NE-IL

danman1453

Mar 31, 2011
PA
I have had pretty good luck with a compressed thin strip of a material called fiberfrax. Fiberfrax Refractory Ceramic Fiber - Fiberfrax High Temperature Insulation

i use it at work by the roll.
I know its heat resistant to atleast 1500 deg F.

I use it in my debridged atty as a wick for juice storage.
pressed down between the drip tip base and the guts of the atty.

Last edited:

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2011
Helena, MT
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...eel-mesh-cartridge-medium.html?highlight=mesh

My feeling is that the material should be coarser than the atomizer mesh it needs to wick into. The stock cart material is not, and has a tendency to remove liquid from the atomizer the moment it gets even a bit dry.

I absolutely agree, I stopped using regular carts and cartomizers altogether, I only use clearomizers and dripping. IMO, the atomizer wick is working against the bulk and small size of the pollyfill fibers. Clearomizer wicking material is directional, and pulling directly from a reservoir of juice to the coil, not having to fight a thimbleful of stuffed animal stuffing.

There are these wicks called water wicks, designed to pull water from a container into potted plants as far as 10 inches away. Look kind of like a shoelace, probably similar to the 3/8" rope form the OP mentioned - but either woven differently and/or made from a different material.

I've wanted to experiment with this stuff, but in stores it's like $10 a package, while it can be ordered on the internet for about $2.50. But I didn't want to pay $5 shipping for one $2.50 item, or spend $10 on something that is worth less than $3.

Being that the water wick is woven specifically to maximize its ability to wick water, compared to standard wicks which are meant for oil based liquids, and PG/VG being soluble in water, it seems to me that the water wicks would probably be ideal for a cart/carto mod that would act in some ways like a clearomizer.

Fiber fill is crap for wicking ejuice, which means standard carts are necessarily flawed unless they are modified. They constantly have to be topped off, which makes having a reservoir pointless, might as well just drip.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
I know this is an old thread, but I found it by searching for something specific that I needed. Maybe someone else will read it too and this will help.

I see that people are talking about cartomizers, and I use an ego-t. Basically, it's an automatic drip system. I messed up both my attys that I had, but one of them was still in working condition. Just without the spike and a wick. Reading through here, I saw that someone mentioned cotton, but said they wouldn't use a cotton ball.

Well, I did.

I stuffed a little piece down the atty, right up against the coil. I tried to drip down there, but a stream came out, and the little piece of cotton caught it all. It's wet, and vaping great. I pulled it out after a bit, and it was wet, and not a single burn mark. Even if it eventually dries out, that piece of cotton is easily replaced. Looks to me like a slightly larger piece would work in a cartomizer, wrapped around the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread