Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
Reporting on my first experiment with alternative cart material.

Just got 2 feet of kevlar "rope" from a company that supplies fire dancers. It is fireproof and very dense.

I cut a piece of 3/8" diameter and replaced the wool in a penstyle cart. So far it is fantastic. It seems to wick the liquid to the atomizer much more evenly than the norm. It also shows zero signs of scorching or shrinking even when smoked "dry." Also, it may just be a placebo effect but it seems to produce a cleaner flavor to the vapor.

I'm going to fill and refill a few times to break it in, then I'm going to vape it until it is "empty". At that point I will squeeze out the remaining fluid and compare to what is typically left over in a factory cart.

Stay tuned.;)

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
are all these cartridge filler alternatives food grade? is the regular filler even food grade? If the regular filler isn't I guess we don't have to worry about the other cartridge mediums but I would still wash the alternatives good before filling up with them. this kevlar sounds very promising if it is cost effective, where did you get it?

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
Sure Kate, I'm going to try and measure with fresh and "broken in" kevlar vs factory. Both on a fresh fill and after spent (spent is kind of subjective but I'll try to get close.)

I'm going to have to fiddle a little with the density I think. I've noticed that by the 3 top up or so it has expanded so much it doesn't want to take much fluid without using a syringe. It is holding a very fair amount still and it seems to last a long time.

Also, where as a factory cart works very well right after you top it off, it has a fairly rapid decrease in vapor after the liquid on top is used up and it starts "wicking." The kevlar also does the same at first, but then seems to have a more steady and consistent delivery over a longer period of time that drops off quickly at the end.

Though I haven't done a sqeeze test yet, I have pulled the core out and looked at it after it goes dry. Looks really good. Almost bone dry with just a little glisten of wetness on the last 2-3mm of the back end.

Ainako, got the stuff here Home of Poi - including Fire,Led and Glow twirling/juggling community.
And yes I think it is a good idea to wash it first, just to get any manufacturing residue off first. Think I'll use 190 proof liquor like I use to soak atomizers. I don't think there should be an issue with any scorching at all (so far use has bared that out.) However, I think there will always be a scorched taste if you run your atomizer totally dry, even without a cart at all.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
The problem is with getting a consistent density of material in the cart. The 3/8" rope is just too fat. It swells when wet and then will not hold adequate liquid. I can pull apart the fibers and get a good balance, but it's difficult to be consistent.

However, the kevlar is very good at letting the flavor of the liquid come through. Also, no burning/scorching issues at all.

I'm sourcing 1/4" rope as we speak. If anyone gets a lead let me know.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
cart.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread