Why do I get a tighter draw on some mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I have started to explore VV mods. I have a quality VV box mod from Krimson Kustoms and a Buzz Pro Woody. It seems I am getting a different draw from each device.

At the same metered voltage, freshly charged batteries in each pv, using exactly the same liquinator tank with the same e juice, I get a tighter draw on the Buzz Pro. The only difference that I can see is that the box mod has a recessed connection and the Buzz Pro has a protruding connection.

There seems to be quite a difference in the draw between the 2 devices. Is it because of the different style connection, or could there some other reason? :unsure:

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
If your using the same atty , or carto on both PV's , it's probably the way the particular one is vented , at the connection . You might try loosening the atty / carto a little , not so much as to lose the connection , but allow more air to be drawn into the particular device , your using . Works for me .

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
My4, on the BP, check the screw in the center of the top cap. If it is a phillips head, rounded "bump", those absolutely do have a tighter draw -- less air flow.
I use a BP with 808 connector, switched from the rounded Phillips head to a flat head slotted screw -- much lighter draw.
If you have access to a couple of small screwdrivers, little jewelers drivers like sold in packs at the dollar store, it is a 5 minute activity to swap screws.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Thanks, mark. I'm a jewelry artist, so I have all of the right tools. Yes, it has the round philip's head screw. I am too afraid to start messing with it, though, even though it's just a screw. I think I'll just see if I can get used to it. It's not that tight, just tighter than my other mod.

My4, on the BP, check the screw in the center of the top cap. If it is a phillips head, rounded "bump", those absolutely do have a tighter draw -- less air flow.
I use a BP with 808 connector, switched from the rounded Phillips head to a flat head slotted screw -- much lighter draw.
If you have access to a couple of small screwdrivers, little jewelers drivers like sold in packs at the dollar store, it is a 5 minute activity to swap screws.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Thanks, but I already loosening the carto until it was just barely making a connection, doesn't seem to help in this case.

If your using the same atty , or carto on both PV's , it's probably the way the particular one is vented , at the connection . You might try loosening the atty / carto a little , not so much as to lose the connection , but allow more air to be drawn into the particular device , your using . Works for me .

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Interesting. Adding a 510-510 connector adds too much height. The Buzz Pro is tall, and then my tank on top of it...tall enough for me. It's nice to know it'll work though.

It's generally the difference in the connector and/or catch cup design. One of my PVs is designed in such a way that if I'm using a cartomizer with a thicker than usual tube for example, it's pretty much impossible to draw at all. I have to use a 510 to 510 adapter and then the draw is fine.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
If you want one of the slotted heads, just PM me -- Mike sent me a couple extras, and I also have some spare loctite 242 (I use that when putting the top cap back on, so it won't loosen unintentionally). It really is a trivial thing to change. It's an M2x0.4 screw.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Thanks for the generous offer! I have 2 of the new Buzz Pro Woody's. They are Christmas gifts for me and Hubby, but I am using both of them while he's at work to make sure all is well with them. I have only had them a couple weeks. I'll try it for a while, as is, and if I can't get used to it, you may hear from me.

Hmmm...I wonder if Mike would send me a couple of those flathead screws... I spent a LOT of money on these, what's a couple of flathead screws worth to keep us happy, eh?

Is it just a matter of unscrewing the Philips head screw and replacing it? I guess I could do that.

If you want one of the slotted heads, just PM me -- Mike sent me a couple extras, and I also have some spare loctite 242 (I use that when putting the top cap back on, so it won't loosen unintentionally). It really is a trivial thing to change. It's an M2x0.4 screw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread