• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Why are you Veg/Vegan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
It is cliche but I watched the "meet your meat" video and it got me. I believe a wise man once said, "If slaughter houses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian.".

And I'm an atheistic Buddhist. As a Buddhist, I look at eating meat as literally eating death. That helped to solidify my originally ethical reason for going vegetarian. I love animals and I am an animal. In this century we have the scientific variables and knowledge to live healthy without slaughtering innocent animals. So why do it? Plus I have always felt sick after eating flesh my whole life. As an adult I understand why now.

I was so happy to read everyones stories! Great to find this group:)
I'm not even sure I fit in here....you could say I now live the Vegan lifestyle, other than seafood.

I, like many of you, never enjoyed meat. I've always been an animal lover, doing my share of rescues. My life when it came to food was made up of excuses (which, perhaps it still is because I do eat fish, though not farmed fish). I watched a documentary....the name escapes me now....but it showed basically one day of living, all over the world. I saw a cow being shot....repeadedly. I was eating meatloaf at the time. I felt sick. REALLY sick. I coudn't eat a bite more. It was like a switch turned on. From there I would force myself to watch vidoes, although I am not brave enough for earthlings yet. I spent months feeling traumatized, reaching out to others, facing criticism from friends and family (still!). I quit meat (other than fish) cold turkey. Never touched it again. Dairy followed, and then eggs shortly after. I do miss my eggs....I may have to find someone with chickens! I am not totally strict about the dairy, as in, if I order something and it has some butter on it without my knowledge, I will eat it. But if given the choice I will not touch it. I am more strict in other ways, where I will not buy anything that tests on animas....no leather, etc.

I feel SO much better, mentally (other than the intense anger and sadness, for reasons I am sure you all understand) and physically. I dropped from 152lbs to 135bs....had more energy....etc.

I am very conflicted with the seafood thing. Something to work on I suppose, even if it is just to eat less of it. If there is one thing I've learned, it's that one must listen to their body. I feel that the seafood I eat does help me, in small doses. We will see what happens I suppose....

Anyhoo, enough of my rambling!
:)
Cheers!

Empress Dragonfly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
U.S
I am actually on my journey to veganism. I grew up eating mostly vegetables, our family farmed our own garden so we had lots of fresh vegetables year round and I was always satisfied with our meals. After I graduated, my diet changed and now that I'm older I feel that eating meat is going to lessen my years and my health overall. I do miss eating the tons of veggies we had growing up, so Im transitioning back. I never liked killing animals so I could survive. There are too many in the plant food chain to sustain my health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread