• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Why are you Veg/Vegan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garblesnarf

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
USA
Just wondering what drove you to switch to vegetarian and or vegan.

For me it started as martial arts. I was training in Kung Fu and none of the higher level students ate red meat. When I asked why, they told me it weighed them down. So I quit eating red meat. I immediately lost 10-20lbs :cool:

So I kept off of red meat for 3 years. Eventually it turned into all meat...
Through meditation and spiritual study I just could no longer bring myself to consume another animal. I saw it as cannibalism.

I know some people say plants are alive as well, but I have to eat something :D. Besides, you can harvest a plant and it will still grow (apples from trees etc). So you don't have to kill it.

Balousch

Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
I became Vegan last summer. And here is the story of how and why.

I never really enjoyed eating meat, but I would still eat my parent's holiday roasts, and the Sunday night steak dinners without a second thought. Then I moved out on my own during college, and started eating campus food (at CU-Boulder which luckily had a selection of Vegan and Vegetarian dishes) and cooking a lot on my own at home. After a bit, I realized I was naturally eating a vegetarian diet (still ate milk / cheese / egg / etc.) without even trying, so I stuck with it.

A little over a year ago now I met a friend of mine who has been a vegan for the past seven / eight years, and is very knowledgeable on the subject. So me being my inquisitive self started asking questions, references for books; and started learning about the philosophical, spiritual, and political reasons for being entirely Vegan. This intrigued immensely, so whenever I would do something for the day with this friend I ate entirely vegan (we basically hiked / camped a lot). I soon realized that when I ate Vegan for the day my stamina was much greater, I felt better and more clear headed, and was happier; so it wasn't very long until my entire diet was Vegan.

Turning completely vegan happened over last summer, and my next step was quitting cigarettes. I've always loved so called "high-tech" devices, so when I stumbled upon E-Cigs I knew this was the answer for me.

Now I mix my own nicotine solutions (so I know there isn't any unwanted products in the solution) and am happily satisfied.

Balousch

Ourei

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Hawaii! Yay haha
I used to do some long-distance running (ultra-marathon) and one of the things many seasoned runners did before a race was to try and empty their bowels/colon either through a pre-race enema (not my thing) or by eating a lot of fiber-rich foods like celery, bellpeppers, psyllium husk, etc... the day before, and drinking a lot of water, then going to the bathroom before the race. The emptier you are, the better you can run, and you don't have to take emergency bathroom breaks during a race. I usually did the celery/bellpepper/psyllium husk thing :D

Slowly I just evolved to always eating plant-based foods, and unconsciously avoided animal products, fried foods, processed stuff... one day someone called me a vegan, and I was insulted for a bit, then realized I was a vegan! Duh :laugh:

Most mornings I have this big salad bowl container, and I toss in half a cantaloupe, a whole thing of celery, a bellpepper (usually the orange one) and a small avocado - I just cut things up from the fridge and fill the bowl to the top - and I pick on things in the bowl till it's cleaned out by the afternoon. My only sit-down meal is dinner :)

Rather than snack on things, I use the e-cig. Yay!

MiloB

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Los Angeles, California
I became vegetarian slowly over the course of a year when I met the woman who would eventually become my wife (4 years later). She's been a vegetarian since she was 8. First I felt weird eating anything usually fish in front of her. I had already cut down meat and chicken was an occasional thing. Then when she moved in I got used to not having meat products in the house, and since she was doing most of the cooking and I'm lazy (haha) I ate what she did.

As I got healthier, I didn't miss it really. The last thing to go was sushi. I think I've had it twice in the past year now. Eating vegetarian and raw just feels healthier and I don't get that food coma my friends get when we go out to eat.

Then I read "FAST FOOD NATION" and that was it. It's not the same meat our great grandparents ate in this mass produced system.

People can eat what they want and I don't try to convert those who want to tell me my choices are unhealthy. Eventually they look down at their extended belly and my washboard stomach and complexion and they subtly ask me what I'm doing to stay fit.
And I'm not surprised when they forego the ribs for greens.

Full of energy and vibrant health. And the by product is I'm not contributing to killing animals. Nice way to live.

Aqua Lady

Apr 3, 2010
Hawaii
Hi fellow vegies!
I seemed to have been born a natural vegetarian...it was hard to get me to eat any meat as a kid. When I turned 14 I consciouscly became a vegetarian because my best friend was :p, but as I got older I got into the health aspects of it.

I have been vegen most of my time as a vegetarian. Dairy just makes me feel yucky. I have used raw goats milk cheese over the years once in awhile.

I was 100% raw for 3 years, but my adrenals gave out due to stress in my life at the time so now I am back to more cooked food, and even some fish and chicken once in a blue moon. I'm finding as I get older, I need more heavy protein. :closedeyes:

Does anyone here drink Green Smoothies? Yum!

Anyways, glad to see some vegie folks here!

Aqua Lady
(Dorothy)

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
I stopped eating terrestrial meat at the beginning of this past spring. I prefer not to eat fish, but it's a compromise when eating with my family - they go out of their way not to eat meat with me so I embrace the support they can give. I have no intention of giving up sea snails (scungilli), squid and clams, though. They appeal to much to my body, like feeding my ancestry.

My largest head-y reason for not eating meat is my sense of stewardship for the soils. It's simply a waste and disrespectful. I don't particularly object to eating animals, I connect spiritually more to plants and predators than herbivores. "Cattle" even bug me a bit ;) I do still eat dairy products, fermenting my own kefir and sometimes making cheeses. I do love dairy

Ultimately, as it often is, my switch was triggered by respect and inspiration for and from an ex-girlfriend.

ego-fan

Moved On
Apr 7, 2012
I am a long term Vegetarian...I grew up in a farming family, and thus saw the brutal murder of animals (up close )on several occations.:ohmy: All though no abuse was present ...I still felt that killing young animals, in order to get a culinary experience.....is simply unethical.
I believe that all living creatures on this earth, should be respected, and not looked upon as means to an end.

From age 16 I was a complete vegetarian....and I havent eaten meat now for 29 years

Best Wishes.

It takes a fool to remain sane, and I am no fool
:)

Last edited:
I am working on going vegan for health reasons. My weight is not too bad, my blood-work is usually amazing, but initially I decided that I wanted to start reducing the hormones that are put in most common day meat products. I know I could go with organic meats, and my favorite grocery store has them in abundance, but I don't have money in abundance... so it is out of the question lol.

My current reasoning though is the possible help it may provide to fibro symptoms. I have severe reactions to many medications, but the pain becomes bad at times.

Oh, I believe I have seen it, along with many other food related documentaries. ( I love documentaries)

I myself would love to go on an organic only diet (I live near a huge Wegmans so if I had the $$$$$$$$ it would take I could do that with meat from time to time.) I more want to stay away from the things added to foods, and what they add to non organic meats (along with pink slime EWWWWW)

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
hello everyone. i just discovere this subforum.
when i was 11 or 12 i heard of people choosing a vegetarian diet. i expressed interest in this to my parents, since i've never been crazy over meat, and they told me i had to do research and write up a report on how to healthily maintain a vegetarian diet. i learned about the different types of vegetarianism, and found veganism to be really appealing. i wrote up my report, and the next time we went grocery shopping my mom let me tag along so i could pick out food for my new diet. i felt pretty mislead when we bought some cheap marinated tofu that turned out to taste really awful. like, super bad. that pretty much concluded the project, and my parents told me they didn't want to account for different diets unless i was providing and preparing my own food. it kind of sucks they weren't really supportive, but what do you do?
they kicked me out of our family household when i was 19, and i bought two salmon to portion and freeze. aside from that i maintained a vegetarian diet for a while, but was never really strict about it. the first few years on my own i was living off $800/month and would eat whatever my mom bought me. a little while later i moved in with my boyfriend, who was also not really supportive. he would go grocery shopping, ask for my share of groceries, then allow me to eat the potatoes, minute rice, and a can or two of soup/tuna. so i was mostly vegetarian by consequence? obviously our trial together flopped and i yet again found a place of my own.
i would buy two chicken breasts to consume a month, and did not consider myself a vegetarian. i went on an archaeological field school to greece, and did not identify myself as such (which i should have). i didn't realize what a moderate meat eater i was until i was subsisting on taverna food 6 out of 7 days of the week. i would have done illegal things for veggies that were not cucumbers and onions. when i came back home i wanted to make an honest effort at the vegan thing.
most of the food i'm inclined to make is vegan by default, so it wasn't difficult. i was never a huge fan of dairy, and hadn't been keeping any around in a long time. i felt awesome, learned a lot, and researched living/raw food diet.
i maintained a very good vegan diet/cupboard for a few years. i no longer had random cramps that were really painful, no more migraines, more energy, all that. when i started my vegan adventure i was roughly 115 lbs, and the heaviest i have ever been. when i decided to incorporate animal product back into my diet, it's because my weight has dropped to 105 lbs. i really only included yogurt and cheese at first. i hadn't been able to stomach eggs for 12 years, they would make me sick. oddly enough i found high quality organic eggs from healthy chickens do not make me sick, so i have been enjoying those too! however, if i order eggs from a restaurant, i get ill.
i must admit, i am somewhat a closet pescetarian these days. once in a blue moon i'll bake a piece of fresh fish caught in bc. i recently started eating fish after much personal debate after a prof of mine introduced us to northern indigenous' people's relationship with fish and discussing personhood and gifts as they apply to these various cultures. my natural inclinaton is to eat nearly vegan and almost always organic, and this is how i eat most of the time. i've maintained this diet for my personal health, and to support my own ethical beliefs. i don't believe my body is meant to fuel itself with anything, and i make sure i eat a balanced diet in a way that i have found to work with me. i can't double up my animal products (ex: eggs with cheese), and i have to be careful with how often i consume them. if i eat in a way that's not "appropriate" i again deal with physical pain and improper digestion.
so i am nearly vegan/vegetarian/ pescetarian because this is what my body and mind needs. :)

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i agree, i need to buy better oils. i've been relying on this non-organic canola oil, and i need to really get some better stuff.
if you want a killer salad dressing recipe here's my most favorite vinaigrette:
2-3 tbsp cane sugar
1/4 c flax seed oil
1/4 c hemp seed oil
scant 1/2 c raw apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp raw tahini
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (maybe a more generous tbsp of both)
some pepper
it's amazing and super easy.

tofucute

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2010
sOCal
yes plants are alive
but more plants die when you eat animals because those animals ate a lot of plant matter
those animals also consume a lot of water
and produce a lot of waste
on a factory farming scale all it is truly appalling.
not to mention the pain and suffering these animals suffer.
there is simply no way that eating body parts or secretions to live if i don't have to is a reasonable option.
also, barring some extreme survival situation, i don't think i could kill an animal to eat, so i have no business eating animals slaughtered by economically disadvantaged people working under horrible conditions for little pay.

just a sampling of my reasons

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

LeDean

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Tennessee
www.mountainoakvapors.com
My initial reason was purely based on my own vanity. I did it for weight-loss. My logic was "If I don't eat meat, fast food is out of the equation." I dropped 35 lbs. quickly. (My addiction was Burger King at the time.) I have kept the lifestyle, though, for health reasons. I am watching my mother deal with high blood pressure and killer cholesterol. She has switched meds for both like 5 times. Of course, my family steal partakes for their meaty dishes, but it doesn't bother me to prepare meat for them. (Although beef is starting to smell pretty terrible to me.)

The hardest part was holidays with family. My parents still throw big slabs of turkey and ham on my plate. (They forget. lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread