Which mods have absolute DC Output like ProVari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike.S

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
Michigan
Are you suggesting that with a sufficient amount of e-cig coil wire wrapped around an iron core that we could make an electromagnet?
No. I'm stating as a matter of scientific fact that when you put a current through a wire, you generate a magnetic field. And if that wire is formed into a coil, the magnetic field is increased. No core is necessary to create a magnetic field, although having one increases the strength even further.

Are you trying to imply that's not true?

Not that it matters - I responded to a claim that the buzzing "proved" that the temperature was changing significantly by offering an alternative explanation. I'll agree it does change, but not significantly (maybe a degree out of hundreds). The thermal mass is simply to large.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
uhhhh most speaker coils are copper or aluminum wire, no magnet wire is used, but this is why the former for the coil is set inside a magnet. as the ac signal is passed through the coil it creates a magnetic force and drives the cone back and forth against the magnetic force of the magnet it is set in. the accuracy of a speaker is directy related to the strength of this magnet and is why you see 5 lb mags on huge bass speakers.

spend some time on parts express to see how speakers are built.

correction: i forgot they refer to coated copper wire as magnet wire :facepalm:

Last edited:

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
The magnetic field of resistance wire is going to be minuscule in comparison to that of proper magnet wire. And, given the same power source, the field will get weaker the longer you make the coil due to the exponential drop in current, which is the exact opposite effect you would see from insulated magnet wire whose fields would increase in strength. Your alternative explanation is that the magnetic field is causing the coil to buzz like a transformer? You seem educated enough, wouldn't you agree that sounds a bit extreme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
With a magnetic field as an alternate explanation, how does that affect the voltage or stabilize the temperature? You provided an alternate explanation without an explanation.

If the answer to that question is inductance, how much inductance does a coil provide (best case scenario for a coil that we would use)? And is that inductance significant enough to have meaningful effect?

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
uhhhh most speaker coils are copper or aluminum wire, no magnet wire is used, but this is why the former for the coil is set inside a magnet. as the ac signal is passed through the coil it creates a magnetic force and drives the cone back and forth against the magnetic force of the magnet it is set in. the accuracy of a speaker is directy related to the strength of this magnet and is why you see 5 lb mags on huge bass speakers.

spend some time on parts express to see how speakers are built.

What do you think magnet wire is? It's insulated copper core wire. You can make it out of aluminum core, but it would need to be about twice the size of aluminum to emit a similar magnetic field. The wire used to wrap the voice coil of a speaker is most certainly magnet wire. the voice coil is riding on a spider suspension that keeps it evenly spaced between the magnet you referenced and an iron core which you did not mention. The magnet wire energized in conjunction with the iron core makes one hell of an electromagnet. The rest of your explanation of how that electromagnetic field reacts with the exterior magnet is spot on.

You ever repaired a speaker? Rewound the voice coil? Replaced the spider / surround / cone? Prior to joining the Navy I worked at a small shop called The Speaker Clinic where I built and repaired speakers for years. We went through countless pounds of magnet wire a day rewinding voice coils. We also quite often were sought out to rewind such things as guitar pickups, and starter motors interestingly enough.

You would think that the way I have been under fire that I am making this stuff up. Most every claim I have ever made on these boards is either backed up with sound research from multiple sources, or hands on practical experience. So rather than suggest that I research something, why not verify what I am saying is out in left field first? I would, and have, extend that courtesy to anyone before I posed a dispute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike.S

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
Michigan
The magnetic field of resistance wire is going to be minuscule in comparison to that of proper magnet wire. And, given the same power source, the field will get weaker the longer you make the coil due to the exponential drop in current, which is the exact opposite effect you would see from insulated magnet wire whose fields would increase in strength.
Why not study even basic physics a bit before you embarrass yourself further?

Magnetic fields strength is due only to the current through a wire (Biot–Savart law). The type of wire makes absolutely no difference (although some may be able to carry more current than others before melting, and for that reason alone be able to generate more of a field). In fact, the SI unit for magnetic field strength, the Tesla, is derived from the Ampere. There is no "exponential drop in current," current is the identical through every part of a series circuit.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Why not study even basic physics a bit before you embarrass yourself further?

Magnetic fields strength is due only to the current through a wire (Biot–Savart law). The type of wire makes absolutely no difference (although some may be able to carry more current than others before melting, and for that reason alone be able to generate more of a field). In fact, the SI unit for magnetic field strength, the Tesla, is derived from the Ampere. There is no "exponential drop in current," current is the identical through every part of a series circuit.

Why would I be embarrassed? If I learn something from this discussion, then I feel I benefit from it.

I am well aware of the properties of an electromagnet. For you to say that the type of wire used makes no difference is simply not true at all.

Are you assuming that all properties of the magnet coil are the same? Every coil has a measured resistance, wouldn't you agree? And that measured resistance would in turn have an effect on the current flow through the circuit.

So let's say, for example, that I have two wires of equal length and equal cross section... Simple physics tells me that I should be able to wrap that length of wire around an iron core to create an electromagnet. For this example, we'll use 100ft of 36AWG wire. We will use a power source of 250VDC to keep the numbers relatively simple.

So... I wrap my first coil using 100ft of Formvar Magnet Wire. This wire has a resistance of roughly 0.4148 Ohms/ft. That would give us a final impedance of 41.48 Ohms...

My next coil I use 100ft of Kanthal Resistance Wire. This wire has a resistance of roughly 35 Ohms/ft. That would give us a final impedance of 3500 (3.5K) Ohms...

Now, you said yourself the type of wire makes absolutely no difference... So I'm going to continue...

Using Ohm's Law, I can determine that when using 250VDC as my source of power, I am going to pass the following amount of current through each circuit:

Formvar Coil: ~6.03A
Kanthal Coil: ~0.07A

Pretty interesting results, considering the type of wire makes no difference...

If I'm taking your statement out of context let me know. Like I said, I am not embarrassed if I am learning something.

To address your other statement that current is identical. In this instance, the current would only be identical if the loads had equal resistance. It would only take ~1.19ft of the Kanthal Wire to match the resistance of the Formvar Coil. Which coil presents a stronger magnetic field, given an equal resistance? `1.19ft of wire, or 100ft? Every coil of the wire increases the magnetic field, correct? So if I have 100ft of coils, the magnetic field will be much stronger than my little baby 1.19ft of wire... Even with the same amount of current flowing through them...

Now, one thing that I will agree with is that the magnetic field of a STRAIGHT 1.19ft section of kanthal at 250V will be the exact same size as a 100ft section of magnet wire at 250V. The magnetic field at a straight cross section. Now if that's what you're referring to, then we never had any beef...

I am assuming two wires of exactly the same physical dimensions. They would not be equal at all in that case. To quote Rader2146:

You provided an alternate explanation without an explanation.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
So...is the sputter (rattlesnake) and spitting juice of a 33.3 mod caused by the 6v power spikes and temperature fluctuation, or by magnetic fields? I need to know. It's vital for my research into death rays. ;)

All I know is I hung some Brilliant COPYRIGHTDMCA off the AudioQuest Diamond HDMI cable I have wrapped around my Ego, and it vapes just like a Provari now!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
All I know is I hung some Brilliant COPYRIGHTDMCA off the AudioQuest Diamond HDMI cable I have wrapped around my Ego, and it vapes just like a Provari now!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
That's hilarious. :D Okay, time to shut the argument down.

This is the real, measurable difference between a high hz mod and a low 33.3 hz mod (and it has nothing to do with magnetics):
I've been following along for a little while and since things have calmed down a bit (and I was reminded of this thread in another thread), I'll weigh in from an un-bias (I dont own a mainstream VV/WW mod) and scientific view.

There is good relevance to the frequency argument. The word that you all are missing is Joule. It is a measurement of heat defined as:

1 watt x 1 second = 1 joule(J)

First the VAMO (or any other 33Hz mod)
Assumptions:
Set at 4.2VRMS (50% duty cycle)
2.0Ω Coil

Calculations:
1 second / 33Hz = .030 = 30 milliseconds(ms) cycle time

30ms * 50% duty cycle = 15ms pulse duration

We know the the VAMO fires at 6V during the on time.
(Ohms Law: W=V2 / R)

6*6 / 2 = 18w

Now that we have the duration and the power, we can calculate the joules.

18w * 15ms = 270 millijoules(mJ) per pulse.

Provari (or any other DC output)
The Provari's frequency is irrelevant. It's a flat DC voltage with a little bit of ripple to it. We don't have to figure out the pulse time because realistically, there is no pulse. So all we have to do is figure out the output in joules for the same duration and compare it to the VAMO.

Same assumptions:
4.2v and 2.0Ω coil.

(Ohms Law: W=V2 / R)
4.2*4.2 / 2 = 8.82

8.82W * 15ms = 132mJ

So we end up with 270mJ per pulse compared to 132mJ over the same duration. If we look at the heat output over the period of a full second they are relatively equal, 9.0J compared to 8.82J (the error is due to 4.2VRMS not being exactly 50% duty cycle). However, burnt juice, even if only 15ms at a time, is still burnt juice.

By increasing the frequency of a pulsed output device, you are shortening the pulse duration and thus lowering the joules per pulse. You will never get equalization compared to a DC output, but eventually the frequency will be high enough, and the joules per pulse low enough, that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Another interesting note is that as the duty cycle increases (higher voltage/longer pulse duration) the difference in joules between the two devices will decrease. Meaning, by setting both devices at 5.0v the difference in the heat output will be less than if set on 4.2V.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I just put my Vamo3 on the O-Scope and got 4.7VDC flat line trace no load. No 33.3Hz pulse here....

The Vamo V3 was the first to use a new chip set. Older and inferior Chinese APV's use the old 33.3 hz chipset. The information given above refers to the V1 and V2 Vamos, not the V3, V4, or V5 Vamos. I hope that clears things up.

Does anyone know what hz the newer Vamos run at?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
the Provari and evic are PWM as well
the evic is around 100Hz
and the Provari is 800hz plus
the thing is if the output signal is a high enough frequency then filtered correctly it will be close to a dc signal on a scope, the massive rise and fall of the 33.3hz chip is why they dont seem to be as smooth.

the Semovar/nivel chip is pure dc
DNA 20

and these are actual DC to DC regulators no pulsing what so ever. i do not know of the others off hand.

Seem to have LOST a K somewhere

Rattle Snakes do Rattle at 33Hz
eVic runs at 100+ KHz
Provari is even higher

Battery Myth dispelled on eVic - Even with 5% displayed power, at 4v eVic produces 4v output. Per Scope readings on PBusardos Review and testing.
People need to stop re-writing actual test results to fit their arguments.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread