Which is better heat capacity for DIY coils.

Slimk123

• Sep 9, 2023
    Ireland
    Hey guys,
    I have decided to build my own coils. I dabbled previously but costs of premades are just ridiculous. I have chosen the Hellvape Fat Rabbit Dual coil build system with the 5.5ml tank based on reviews etc. I am an MTL vaper and over the past few weeks have discovered I like 0.6 - 0.8 ohm premade coils. I would like to take that as a starting point before trying to go lower.
    I am just a little confused with heat capacity on Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators - I need to choose the kanthal wire and am confused as to which to buy.
    Should I be aiming for slow to heat & slow to cool down (24awg) 32w or quick to heat & quick to slow down (26awg) 18w?
    Which diameter of coil should I start with? My kit starts at 1.5mm and goes to 4mm

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Should I be aiming for slow to heat & slow to cool down (24awg) 32w or quick to heat & quick to slow down (26awg) 18w?

Slow Ramp Up and Ramp Down drives me Crazy for Cocoa Puffs. I would ALLWAYS go with a Faster Ramp Up/Down if given a chance.

Which diameter of coil should I start with? My kit starts at 1.5mm and goes to 4mm

3mm is a Good Place to start.

---

As a Beginning Coil Builder, I'd also suggest that you try using Stainless Steel as well as Kanthal A1 and or NiChrome 80.

Reactions: Slimk123

Slimk123

• Sep 9, 2023
    Ireland
    Slow Ramp Up and Ramp Down drives me Crazy for Cocoa Puffs. I would ALLWAYS go with a Faster Ramp Up/Down if given a chance.

3mm is a Good Place to start.

---

As a Beginning Coil Builder, I'd also suggest that you try using Stainless Steel as well as Kanthal A1 and or NiChrome 80.
    Cheers! I have a couple of 10ft rolls of 26 & 28awg kanthal there from before. 3mm sounds good. When get going I'll experiment more.

Reactions: zoiDman

Users who are viewing this thread