Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Woodstock, GA
So I've been vaping for a bit now, and I want something new and exciting I guess. I currently have an ego-v + vivi nova setup and I absolutely love it. I would like to get into a good APV but I don't want to spend too much right off the bat. I'm looking into the VAMO, VMax, Zmax, e-Vic, or Anyvape.

Anyone have any guidance of a good starting place?

Thanks! :)

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
V and ZMax have the longest track record of those you listed. VAMO looks like it has only been out for a few months so not much to go on, but I did order one myself.

I know you said you don't want to spend a lot of money on your first APV, but ProVape is running a sale on ProVaris right now. I have had mine for about 3-4 months now and I'm very happy with it. I really like how consistent it is, the warranty and customer service is also very good. They have a long track record as one of the most reliable PV's on the market. I know they are pricey but after having one for a while I don't regret spending the money on it.

Good luck on your choice.

Hokus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2011
Woodstock, GA
Thanks Buzzsaw, I would love to get a ProVari eventually, but funds are limited and I think the wife would be pretty angry with me :)

I am leaning to the vmax and zmax, like you said, because they have a good long track record. But I saw on the GotVapes forum that they will be getting the Anyvape soon, and it looks really cool and versatile with the option to go from a full size to a mini. So, I will probably wait for that one to come out before I make my decision.

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
house of vapor smax for 79 bucks i think is a great deal vv / vw and is a thicker tube than the v1 zmax plus the read out is alot easier it still has it flaws ( when changing batts in vv mode you have to reset the volts but in vw mode it rembers your setting....go figure) this is probably one of the best "cheap" mods out on the market only time will tell hope this helps

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
looking for your first mod keep this in mind if your a money mizer......decide on the battery size 1st say for ex 18650 then look at all 18650 mods same for 18500 or what ever you will save your self some money if later on when you buy another mod your using the same batts i know some people that are fooling around with 5-7 different batts and chargers they could have bought a provari it seems crazy just thought i would throw that out there food for thought

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
I didn't think of it, but ya, I don't mind a large mod so I have been getting 18650 mods only. The other thing you will need to verify is weather or not the mod you get needs a button top battery or if it can use flat tops. It seems like the cheaper mods can often use flat tops but the ProV needs button tops.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I think that it's great advice to think about what kind of batteries you want to use to help you determine what kind of mod you want. Keep in mind that an IMR 18650 is different from an ICR 18650 (e.g., don't use unprotected IMR 18650s that work fine in a Provari in a mechanical mod like the Bolt that should use ICR 18650s).

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hiya Hokus,
On the ones you were thinking about... I have a Zmax, a Vamo and a Bolt. :) of those, with budget in mind - I'd say a Vamo or a Zmax. You can use a kick with the Bolt for variable wattage- you'll need an extension piece, or two extension pieces if you want to kick an 18650.
A Vamo you can pick up for about the same price as a Bolt - or even less. With a Vamo you can get the same vape as an unkicked Bolt - 3.7 volts, or use variable voltage, variable wattage, do an ohms check, and check battery voltage. A Zmax gives you those options too. A plus for the Vamo - you can use it in two different sizes. A plus for the Zmax - seems sturdier in stainless. However, the Vamo is sturdy and the menu is a lot easier to use with the three buttons. The Sigelei Zmax has an OLED screen, but is still one button to access the menu.

Last edited:

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
The Zmax never got under my skin due to the prices, it was too expensive to be considered a cheap back up and was too close to the ProV to sway me from the warranty of the ProV.

The Vamo while inexpensive and feature rich has a very short track record. Long term durability is very much up in the air at this point. While the Bolt is in the same price range there is very little in it that could fail.

For a first mod I think durability and repairability should be considered. I hope the Vamo holds up well since I have one on order but I have trouble suggesting it as a good mod for anyone on a tight budget looking for their first mod, if it fails three months in they are out ~$45-55 and back to square one. The Bolt can be repaired if you know how to solder, switches and wire are easy to find if a repair is required. And the Bolt with two extensions and a kick is in the price range of a Zmax.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The Zmax never got under my skin due to the prices, it was too expensive to be considered a cheap back up and was too close to the ProV to sway me from the warranty of the ProV.

The Vamo while inexpensive and feature rich has a very short track record. Long term durability is very much up in the air at this point. While the Bolt is in the same price range there is very little in it that could fail.

For a first mod I think durability and repairability should be considered. I hope the Vamo holds up well since I have one on order but I have trouble suggesting it as a good mod for anyone on a tight budget looking for their first mod, if it fails three months in they are out ~$45-55 and back to square one. The Bolt can be repaired if you know how to solder, switches and wire are easy to find if a repair is required. And the Bolt with two extensions and a kick is in the price range of a Zmax.

Prices have dropped on Zmaxs. Should be able to pick one up for $80-$90. Like here:
Smoktech Zmax Variable Volt APV

On the Bolt - lots of problems with the switches for people. Yes, they can be repaired. The Vamo - I've been using mine heavily for over a month now. No problems. I've had the Zmax for 3 months - also no problems. The Bolt I have arrived with the centre pin too low. Even pulling it up still didn't get it working with vivi novas. So use an adapter. Works ok with cartos.
I wouldn't recommend a Bolt over a Vamo. The Vamo has far more features. Buy it from the right place and you should have a warranty too. A Bolt with a Kick is going to work out the same as or more expensive than a Zmax, and way more expensive than Vamo.

For a first mod or a back up a Bolt is ok. Its going to depend on what the OP wants. We're comparing variable voltage/variable wattage Zmaxs and Vamos with a straight 3.7 volt Bolt. He said he was looking at the Zmax and the Vamo. Both sturdy. I've dropped both and they are fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread