• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What's your Plan A for a Zombie Outbreak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
I think you grossly underrated the bike, while not many zombies could 'bounce off it', the idea is to maneuver around them instead of playing 'Deathrace 2000' with them (on another topic: I wonder how many points a zombie would be worth). Plus, in Texas, snowplow = 0, the closest I could hope for would be a truck with a lift... And the fear of being trapped in traffic when I go through populated areas still makes the bike sound better to me... In a line of cars 100's long, a truck or plow could move only so many cars out of it's way, but a bike could maneuver around cars to get through...

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
Here's the best way to deal with traffic
I agree that would be the best way to beat traffic. Impractical though, since there is not an armory right down the road from me (and even if there was, I think the army might not want me to have it, and they probably have me seriously outgunned)...

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I'm liking the Bradley more and more(for survival), BUT, I'd like it to get better than 2mpg!!! I'm actually considering something now that I never thought I would, another military vehicle used in various rolls during multiple wars. A jacked up (or 'lifted') Toyota truck! It's been used to tow aircraft AND T-62 TANKS (wow, just wow). I knew the little buggers were sturdier than they looked but towing a a Soviet tank?!? It has the credentials to survive just about anything and still get awesome fuel economy and extended reliability. The Bradley is bad to the bone but can it survive for 500k miles (nevermind finding the 3-400k gallons of fuel to get there)? Sure it doesn't have the same cargo/person capacity but there are plenty rolling around and it's hard for A tank to perform a pincher maneuver... Technical vehicle FTW!
Now with that being said, if it's 'fast' zombies running around (literally), I don't really want to be outdoors with something that wants to eat me and doesn't ever get a side stitch! Tall walls and fall back positions with a sincere hope that they burn twice as bright for half as long... If they stay fast and don't disintegrate within a year, we're all screwed in the long term!

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I agree that would be the best way to beat traffic. Impractical though, since there is not an armory right down the road from me (and even if there was, I think the army might not want me to have it, and they probably have me seriously outgunned)...

Well the reason we (collectively) are planning in the first place is in case the military ends up being overrun in the opening days/weeks. Also the reason I haven't saved money for over priced automatic weapons too, there should be plenty of them laying around the half eaten corpses... Another facet of not wanting/needing full auto guns is the need to feed them! They're a 2nd stage provision for after a perimeter has been set up and mainly to guard against other living survivors that want what I/you have. Don't assume that just because there are zombies running around that everyone is going to turn into saints and gladly share everything they have with you simply because you have a pulse! I suggest a hide and watch approach unless you already have a significant number of people that you can trust or at least intimidate into following you without stabbing you in the back at the worst possible moment.

For what it's worth, one of my 'other' plans is to become a minor warlord and just take what I want and use my planning skills to unite other warring clans into a superior army that will subdue and secure enough resources to assure I never have to venture out past the walls for MY dinner ;D

It's good to be the King...

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
How are you with a crossbow?
I'm a good shot, but my string keeps breaking.
Too much maintenance, pulling, loading, replacing string (assuming you can find one), retrieving, finding and/or making more bolts, for my taste...
Shotgun shells aren't hard to find and easy to reload with readily available supplies. I don't know of anywhere locally I can get a crossbow string (have to order them online), but there's at least 5 stores in a 3-mile area around me that sell both shells and reloading supplies...

Well the reason we (collectively) are planning in the first place is in case the military ends up being overrun in the opening days/weeks.
I think the military will still be there, but they won't be in the streets helping and reassuring people, they'll be locked down so they can be the NWO... Imagine if you already had an army instead of having to build one... The chain of command is just gunna let them all run out into the streets and die? No, there are contingencies in place. The military will be there, they just won't be sharing those yummy MREs (or ammo for that matter) with us... Personally, I wouldn't go near a military base (unless I know for sure they're all gone), because they will be shooting anything that moves...

thephoenix

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
That's a good bike but hard to sleep in :D Just be careful with those weapons since they all tend to splatter infectious bits around, goggles and a face mask would be a must! Try to keep as much distance as possible between you and them if you can. How are you with a crossbow?

OK. Ok. Good points...How about this: keep the bike for getting out of Los Angeles and a nice Bradly tank like the one posed above in the video out in the desert somewhere just incase i need to make it across the country or something...

and I want to add a crate full of grenades & a penthouse loft in downtown LA so I can just chuck grenades down to the street all day for kicks...

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
I want to add a crate full of grenades & a penthouse loft in downtown LA so I can just chuck grenades down to the street all day for kicks...

Yeah, me too, but I thought we were talking about after the dead rise? :D :D :D

Oh, here's a point I hadn't thought of until just now: What about snow/ice in the mountain passes? I think if you want to use a bike as your first escape transportation, make it a dual/sport with knobby tires.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
/.../ hmmm hadn't thought about snow & ice...mostly since I don't even remember what it looks like since moving to so cal 12 years ago...

Hey, right after the Day After Tomorrow, when America freezes solid due to The Global Warming Catastrophe©, that's when Rush Limburger and that mean Army guy from the movies are going to let the Z-virus loose! It's the most likely time for the Zombie Apocalypse! Bust out yer snow shoes and yer shotgun, brutha! It's time to dance with Frosty the Z-Man!

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Hey, loriK! I've been scrambling at work a bit lately, so I haven't been around as much either. Gotta get it while the gettin's good, and stock up for a trip to Puerto Rico in Oct. (my seester is finally getting married! Haha, sucker!).

thinking... re-animating... anime avatar... why does that make me think of that disturbing scene in "Reanimator", where Dr. Hill and Megan... stop it!!... stupid brain!

Last edited:

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
So once again the folk in The Colony disappoint me. They've been attacked over and over again, ('win' once), they've had members kidnapped and then when they're out in the field they walk along chit-chatting about how great they are and wind up infected... I guess they couldn't really hold them hostage again since they can't even find enough food in the bayou to feed themselves much less have a surplus for trade. Where the hell did they find this group?!?! I don't have any super special knowledge or experience but for sweet zombie jesus' sake I think I'd be doing better than them. I think a troop of 8 year old cub scouts would be doing better than them for that matter! I hope everyone is watching this season as a guide for how to improve your own survival techniques.

DO: Secure water and filtration system and some form of electricity generation (I still don't know why neither crew looked into pedal/wind power driving a DC motor as a generator) with as many car batteries as you can steal.
DO: Find an easily defended base of operation AND THEN STRENGTHEN YOUR DEFENSES with something better than a pair of chains. Weld the gate shut or use 2-3 crossbeam bars so they can't tip it over in the middle. Better yet close everything off and use portable ladders to get over and out and then bring it back inside the perimeter (for a group) so a GUARD can allow/deny entry. Earthen works last longer than we do and have the side benefit of creating a trench/moat to further heighten the walls! This worked for centuries until the invention of aircraft.
DO: Find and hoard every last scrap of consumable you can. The one truth to remember from the movie Zombieland: Once the world crumbles, there will be a finite number of Twinkies, cans of Coke/Pepsi, rolls of toilet paper, tubes of toothpaste, light bulbs, and bars of chocolate. Yep, unless you plan on walking a looooong way, coco is a thing of the past. There's A LOT more but you get the idea.
Now things NOT to do if you plan to survi.. continue breathing:
DO: Pay attention to your surroundings. Occasionally stop and listen to your surroundings and look ALL around you. Imagine there's something that wants to eat you is lurking in every tree, bush, stand of tall grass and you won't be surprised when there IS one. Your life and those around you's lives depend on it so act like it! You may or may not die immediately but you could still infect those around you afterward.

DON'T go outside a secured perimeter: Alone. Unarmed. Without a firm idea of where you're going and when you'll be back. Without telling someone where and when you'll be back. Talking up a storm with or without someone with you... If you have to talk, use a soft voice and don't whisper, sound carries. Wander off from the main group because you thought you 'heard' or 'saw' something, chances are you did and it's going to kill you and everyone else if you poke it with a stick. Which brings me to the golden rule of surviving:

Treat everything you don't immediately recognize as if it were a bomb. Even if it isn't an actual one, it might just have the same effect if you mess with it.

Sorry for the rant, I just thought that this should be written down somewhere so when someone looses an arm to a rabid housecat I can say "I told you so!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread