Stlphilo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Saint Francis to cease hiring tobacco users

Sunday, November 21, 2010

By M.D. Kittle ~ Southeast Missourian
If you are a smoker, forget about working at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
The hospital will no longer hire smokers beginning Jan. 1.
Saint Francis' "Current Openings" page on its website, includes a nicotine-free hiring policy. When logging on to the employment site, prospective candidates are greeted with this message:

"Because it is important for health care providers to promote a healthy environment and lifestyle, effective January 1, 2011, Saint Francis Medical Center has a nicotine-free hiring policy," the page states. "Applicants will be tested for nicotine as part of a pre-employment screening.

"I understand that my application will not be considered if I use tobacco products."
The policy change will not affect current employees, though they will continue to be offered access to tobacco cessation programs and incentives, the hospital said in a statement.

The new policy is part of Saint Francis Medical Center's Healthier Us initiative, "and builds on the optional employee wellness program Healthy Rewards, in which employees earn incentives for making healthy lifestyle changes and choices," according to the statement.
Saint Francis would join a select group of Missouri health care centers. Dave Dillon, spokesman for Missouri Hospital Association said he knows of only one other hospital in the state, Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, with a similar policy.
"It's likely that other hospitals will make other moves like this, if they haven't already," he said.
Shane Kovac, spokesman for Truman Medical Centers' two hospitals, said its tobacco-free hiring policy was implemented in 2006 and modeled after the Cleveland Clinic, a medical center based in Ohio, which he said was the first health care provider in the nation to prohibit smokers from applying.

"It came out of our CEO's changing of the culture, that if we are going to be a place of health, wellness and healing, we needed to, as he says, walk the walk," Kovac said. He noted current employees who smoke are grandfathered in, but prospective employees in the online application process must check a box that says they are not and will not use tobacco products.

"The letter on line says why you cannot go any further in the application process, and that we wish you well in your endeavors," Kovac said. The hospital does not have a nicotine test, but rather relies on an honor system, the spokesman said.

SoutheastHEALTH, operator of Southeast Hospital, does not have similar policy, but it has been a tobacco-free campus since September 2006, according to Debbie Bowers, the hospital's human resources director. Saint Francis is not a smoke-free campus and designates smoking areas and shelters for employees and visitors no closer than 50 feet of any public entrance.

Missouri labor law mandates employers cannot refuse to hire or they cannot fire an employee for alcohol or tobacco use after working hours off company property.

"Meaning that if someone is up for a job interview and they smelled like smoke, the employer cannot not hire you because you are a smoker; that's against the law," said Amy Susan, spokeswoman for the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. Not-for-profit hospitals and church-related organizations, however, are exempt from the code.

More private-sector employers nationwide are making smoking a prohibitive clause in their hiring policies.
Massachusetts Hospital Association an employer of 45 that announced earlier this month it would no longer hire people who smoke, according to a recent story in the Christian Science Monitor. The firm is the first private employer in Massachusetts to take such a step, though several others elsewhere, including Alaska Airlines and Union Pacific Railroad, have stopped hiring smokers, the Monitor story noted.

There are significant costs to the economy to consider, anti-smoking advocates say.
Action on Smoking and Health, a not-for-profit anti-smoking and nonsmokers' rights group, says employees who smoke cost their companies $12,000 a year unnecessarily.

"These are dollars which could instead be used to provide more health care benefits to all employees, higher salaries, or to increase company profits," the organization says on its website.
Truman Medical Center's Kovac said the hospital has not had any legal challenges or real objectives from its non-smoking hiring policy.

"We have seen that initially [prospective employees] were upset, but then they realized what the upside is, the health of patients and staff," he said. "Our HR department says they do not have any recollection of any major pushback against this. "I think if we had not grandfathered our current employees in, that would have been a new story."

Last edited:

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
It's a private business (that's an assumption; on some level most hospitals are funded at least partially with public funds), so I don't think they should be forced to hire nicotine users. But I do think it's a bad policy, and I wouldn't patronize them.

However...

Missouri labor law mandates employers cannot refuse to hire or they cannot fire an employee for alcohol or tobacco use after working hours off company property.

Me thinks they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
If a company that makes wheelchairs only hires people that are in wheelchairs, is that discrimination? Or selective hiring?

On the other hand, if a company that make wheelchairs only hires nicotine-free people, is that discrimination? So, if you're a health-care org, you can scrutinize all aspects of your employee's health and actions on and off the job? This is very Orwellian. They probably provide the health care services for employees at cost, so they supposedly have a right to mediate those costs. I'm just not sure how far this kind of thing goes. If you don't run 10 miles per week, can you be fired?

It's a little scary. One of the best know, and most ignored, sentences in the English language:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Well, OK, you still have Rights. However, you can't get a job if you exercise those rights.............

Last edited:

Nixsdaddy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Bessemer City, NC
I hate to say it, but this kind of mentality can snowball into other areas. As the "Health Care Industry" tries to promote a healthy environment and lifestyle by not hiring nicotine users, this can be expanded into caffeine, being overweight, sexual orientation, religious views, political views, and whatever they wish no matter how small depending on the views of the company.

Sure feels like we're trying to be molded into a so-called perfect people. Everything deemed not good for you is bad and soon you'll be arrested for doing anything. Starting to seem like the movie Demolition Man coming into reality.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I keep thinking about this... it gets even "funnier"....

If you think about it, the Hospital is in business to help people with health issues. You could begin to make an argument that a hospital is the BEST PLACE for nicotine addicts to work, since they are so close to immediate medical care should any issues arise. At least for 8 hours per day.

If the hospital really cared about the health of the population, and it is the best type of organization to care-for/service that population's health, it should seek out those that it can help the most and hire them... assuming they can perform the necessary tasks. What do they do? Seek only the healthiest people (the ones that need them the least) and hire them. How far does this go? Genetic testing too? How about how much pizza you eat per week?

And we are discussing POTENTIAL health risks of nicotine, not necessarily manifested problems. Good work Nazi Hospital! Its the new .....-Race, only this time, not blonde-hair, blue eyed, but healthiest most-fit, including (but not limited to) lifestyle!

Eat your veggies people, and exercise. They can check for cholesterol too..........never mind that there's a genetic link to that one....

lol. People crack me up. Groups of people (aka businesses) in particular.

Last edited:

KissMint

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2010
PA
A hospital in my area banned smoking on their property as a result their smoking employees step across the street and smoke on the side walk in front of peoples homes. It causes alot of aggravation to residential home owners because not only you have people standing by your house smoking but also cigarette butts are on their lawn or on sidewalks.

It makes more sense not to hire cigarette or tobacco user. Obviously if you are in the process to quit smoking using gum, patch or vape etc you are still being scrutinized.

There are other hospitals too that hire only non smokers. I'm no expert but could it be that it's difficult (maybe) to do a nicotine test and determine if it is from cigarette or gum.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I'm no expert but could it be that it's difficult (maybe) to do a nicotine test and determine if it is from cigarette or gum.

Nicotine will still be nicotine in your system regardless of how it was delivered, so you are correct. A test is not going to tell whether the nicotine came from gum, patches, PV's, or cigarettes. It's no different from doing a Blood Alcohol test, which will only tell you how much alcohol is in the blood but cannot determine whether it came from a bottle of beer or mouthwash.

Dee74

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2010
Tampa Bay,Fl
My father and I had the argument about drug test years ago when they started he thought it was great, I said beginning of slippery slope,he is sadly gone and I have to now ride that slippery slope. The anti's have been very effective to get killed off anything they don't like. Although a legal substance you can't use it. Fl has been this way many years for many hospitals so am used to it, i just won't work there.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
A hospital in my area banned smoking on their property as a result their smoking employees step across the street and smoke on the side walk in front of peoples homes. It causes alot of aggravation to residential home owners because not only you have people standing by your house smoking but also cigarette butts are on their lawn or on sidewalks.

It makes more sense not to hire cigarette or tobacco user. Obviously if you are in the process to quit smoking using gum, patch or vape etc you are still being scrutinized.

There are other hospitals too that hire only non smokers. I'm no expert but could it be that it's difficult (maybe) to do a nicotine test and determine if it is from cigarette or gum.
I don't know that it's as much a matter of determining whether it's cigarette or patch nicotine, but rather because they are as aware as we are that the patch and gum have a dismal effective rate for smoking, and it is most likely that a person using the patch today will be back on cigarettes in three months. And as much as we love our ecigarettes, how many people on this board have said that if they couldn't vape, they would go back to smoking? So these are not necessarily effective as a cessation device, either, and if ecigs were banned, a lot of the community would apparently pick up their smoking habit right where they left off.

Do I think this is a small decision? Not at all. If I recall correctly, obesity costs society just as much as smokers do, so it is easy to envision the next step being the welcome mat replaces with a scale at the employee entrance. Dental decay can cause a host of health problems, so it won't be long before those non-flossers are sent packing. I think this is a fight that everyone on this board should help cigarette smokers fight because they were us a short time ago, they are us still in some people's eyes, and they will be us again if they were to take the ecigs away.

KissMint

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2010
PA
At the end of the day is it back to money talk? Whether it is to get funding or reduce health care cost. Whoever came up with these ideas got themselves covered.

Talk about obesity.... did you hear schools do reports on kids weight? like math, science grade, and there's weight grade.
I don't have children and how this country is now, i don't wish to have one. I feel sorry for them.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I would apply.....and then sue them when you're denied because you are a smoker.... and MO has a smoker protection law that states:

Smoker Protection Laws

It shall be an improper employment practice for an employer to refuse to hire, to discharge, or to otherwise disadvantage any individual with respect to compensation, terms or conditions of employment because the individual uses lawful tobacco products off the premises of the employer during hours such individual is not working for the employer, unless such use interferes with the duties and performance of the employee, the employee's coworkers, or overall business operation; except that, nothing in this section shall prohibit an employer from providing or contracting for health insurance benefits at a reduced premium rate for employees who do not smoke or use tobacco products. Religious organizations and nonprofit health promotion organizations are exempt from this section. The provisions of this section shall not be deemed to create a cause of action for injunctive relief, damages or other relief.

MO. REV. STAT. § 290.145 (2005).

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
"All restaurants are Taco Bell"

:lol:

Support non smoking policies? Be prepared for new restrictions on caffeine.
Support policies restricting fast food? Be prepared for new taxes on sugary drinks.

Supporting the limitation of anything is the same as supporting limitations on everything. Even if you don't like it, or don't use it, support other people's rights to do so freely.

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Yep, this "no smoking" policy really irks me. And it has a personal effect for me. I am graduating with my BSN in May, and Truman is one of the hospitals I would really really REALLY like to work in. However, I do not know if I will be able to work there since I do use a PV. Really irritates me! I think that it is a little discriminatory, personally. I guess I will have to hope that the other hospitals here in Kansas City do not adopt this policy prior to hiring me. :-(

What makes me the maddest is that regardless of a nicotine test, I have not smoked a tobacco product in over 3 months. I am not a tobacco user!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread