Another hospital won’t hire nicotine consumers (Bon Secours Virginia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
Hospital administrators are notoriously short sighted. Even with the current economy and the increase in older people applying to nursing schools, there is a shortage of nurses nationwide with a MASSIVE increase in that shortage headed their way in 2015-2020. Coupled with the rising age of the population, increased complexity of medical treatments, and the bulk of nurses in the nation being baby boomers rapidly approaching the age of retirement, hospitals will be facing a crippling shortage of qualified nurses. Yet, they want to turn their nose up at the 1 in 5 of them that use nicotine? Do they really believe that what they think they'll save in insurance costs will come close to the multi-billions they will pay out in wrongful death suits due to short-staffing? :facepalm:

Crumpet

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
central VA
Not gonna tell you how I know this, but the powers that be at BS are being quite self-congratulatory about this bold move, saying that 'sometimes you just have to save people from themselves.' For those that are so in favor of these smoking bans because of the 'costs' that smoking incurs, I wonder how many of them would be okay with the same restrictions being applied to overweight people or diabetics or people with high BP. Or even just ugly people who also are not part of a protected class. I'd really like to know. Actually, because they die earlier, smokers don't really cost that much more money. It's the people who live the longest and take the most in Social Security and other sustaining medical treatment that actually cost us the most.

It's just the new Morality Police, social engineering with a vulnerable target.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Open for comments, eh? Let's see how well thought out their policies are, and if they will even respond to comments

They have been so far, but not to mine. I would guess that they need to bring in some folks with the exertise to refute what I posted about Dr. Benowitz presentation on smokeless tobacco being low-risk. But since it is easily verifiable that he did present this information, they might have a problem.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dear "Eciggerssuck": Since your post on the article has been rightfully flagged for libel, it might not be there the next time you look. So I will issue my challenge here.

You stated, "nicotine addiction is dangerous and very unhealthy way of life."

Please list studies involving human subjects that support your allegation.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Now I'm confused. Googling will show that Virginia has/had a lifestyle discrimination statute in particular protecting smokers from this. What happened to it??

Don't know specifically, but I fear tobacco/nicotine isn't what they consider lifestyle discrimination. A list I found for VA-

State Laws Prohibiting Discrimination in Employment - Workplace Fairness

*edited to add

It might have only applied to government positions since I found this-

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/...id=3EB6C63C687455D589A64F5A72346543.tobacco03

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread